Old 08-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Dave Cross

Default GNOME 2 on Fedora 15

I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].

Is there any way to go back to GNOME 2 on Fedora 15? Can I reuse the
F14 rpms? Or can I rebuild the F14 srpms on my F15 system?

Or perhaps someone else has already done this work and made GNOME 2
available for F15?

Cheers,

Dave...

[1] http://blog.dave.org.uk/2011/08/hating-gnome-3.html

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 08-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 08/29/2011 03:08 PM, Dave Cross wrote:
> I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].
>
> Is there any way to go back to GNOME 2 on Fedora 15? Can I reuse the
> F14 rpms? Or can I rebuild the F14 srpms on my F15 system?
>
> Or perhaps someone else has already done this work and made GNOME 2
> available for F15?

http://k3rnel.net/2011/06/15/bluebubble-faq/

Note that GNOME 2.x won't get any security updates which might be
something you need to keep in mind. This is part of the reason that
Fedora along with other distros will have to move to follow GNOME 3.x
releases.

Rahul

Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 AM
"Erik P. Olsen"

On 29/08/11 11:38, Dave Cross wrote:
> I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].
>
> Is there any way to go back to GNOME 2 on Fedora 15? Can I reuse the
> F14 rpms? Or can I rebuild the F14 srpms on my F15 system?
>
> Or perhaps someone else has already done this work and made GNOME 2
> available for F15?

You have two ways to go, either learn to love gnome or quit gnome :-(

--
Erik

Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Frantisek Hanzlik

Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 29/08/11 11:38, Dave Cross wrote:
>> I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].
>>
>> Is there any way to go back to GNOME 2 on Fedora 15? Can I reuse the
>> F14 rpms? Or can I rebuild the F14 srpms on my F15 system?
>>
>> Or perhaps someone else has already done this work and made GNOME 2
>> available for F15?
>
> You have two ways to go, either learn to love gnome or quit gnome :-(

Maybe there is more ways, maybe Gnome developers will make sense of
Gnome3 is miscarrieed.

Maybe Gnome 2 will continue in previous accomplishments as another
project(s). There is another one:

Personally I'm now using XFCE.

Franta

Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:38:16 +0100,
Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].
>
> Is there any way to go back to GNOME 2 on Fedora 15? Can I reuse the
> F14 rpms? Or can I rebuild the F14 srpms on my F15 system?
>
> Or perhaps someone else has already done this work and made GNOME 2
> available for F15?

In the short run you can use fallback mode, which has a very similar feel
to gnome 2. In the long run, no one has started a gnome 2 fork, so
the future is not going to include it.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:36 PM
"Darryl L. Pierce"

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:46:35AM +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 29/08/11 11:38, Dave Cross wrote:
> > I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].
> >
> > Is there any way to go back to GNOME 2 on Fedora 15? Can I reuse the
> > F14 rpms? Or can I rebuild the F14 srpms on my F15 system?
> >
> > Or perhaps someone else has already done this work and made GNOME 2
> > available for F15?
>
> You have two ways to go, either learn to love gnome or quit gnome :-(

Not quite the open source way: someone can always fork Gnome 2 and start
a new project around it.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Old 08-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Tim Evans

On 08/29/2011 09:36 AM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:46:35AM +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> On 29/08/11 11:38, Dave Cross wrote:
>>> I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].
>>>
>>> Is there any way to go back to GNOME 2 on Fedora 15? Can I reuse the
>>> F14 rpms? Or can I rebuild the F14 srpms on my F15 system?
>>>
>>> Or perhaps someone else has already done this work and made GNOME 2
>>> available for F15?
>>
>> You have two ways to go, either learn to love gnome or quit gnome :-(
>
> Not quite the open source way: someone can always fork Gnome 2 and start
> a new project around it.

Third way would be to go with CentOS.

--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc. | 5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting | Owings Mills, MD 21117

Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Tim

> Note that GNOME 2.x won't get any security updates which might be
> something you need to keep in mind. This is part of the reason that
> Fedora along with other distros will have to move to follow GNOME 3.x
> releases.

One wonders how this will impact on the various long life distributions,
where you're expected to keep using Linux version x(not changing).y(not
changing).z(only part that changes), then? Because they're supposed to
run for years, *with* security updates, but no large version changes.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 29.08.2011, Dave Cross wrote:

> I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].

Seems nobody likes it (me included). Frankly, Gnome3 is broken by design and
a f*cking piece of cr*p :-)
All the students at my college who use(d) Linux/Gnome2 before have switched, and
guess how many are using Gnome3 now? Yes, you're right: zero.

Just get over it, and use one of the fine alternatives: XFCE has
always been great, LXDE is slightly "buggy" but great too, and there
are various other good wm. I personally like ratpoison, awesome and
fluxbox a lot. It hurts a couple of weeks, but then you're done.