Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Frantisek Hanzlik

Default /etc/init/ directory - why is still supported?

This dir was IMO for upstart config files, and now with F15/systemd
its existence is pointless, i'm right?

>From old times i was wonted to control services with
"/etc/init.d/SERVICE command" rather then "service SERVICE command"
- first variant was, using shell completion, much faster and prone
to fewer typing error. Of course, with /etc/init/ directory arrival,
was necessary type three extra character
Will we wait to see /etc/ without init directory?

Franta

Old 08-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 29.08.2011 00:59, schrieb Frantisek Hanzlik:
> This dir was IMO for upstart config files, and now with F15/systemd
> its existence is pointless, i'm right?
>
>>From old times i was wonted to control services with
> "/etc/init.d/SERVICE command" rather then "service SERVICE command"
> - first variant was, using shell completion, much faster and prone
> to fewer typing error. Of course, with /etc/init/ directory arrival,
> was necessary type three extra character
> Will we wait to see /etc/ without init directory?

you will not see this removed as long not all services are native systemd
and there are MANY pakcages missing until now, also remember that software
outside the feodra-repos exists and it would be really dumb killing
sysv-backward-comatibility the next years

Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Michael Ekstrand

On 08/28/2011 06:09 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 29.08.2011 00:59, schrieb Frantisek Hanzlik:
>> This dir was IMO for upstart config files, and now with F15/systemd
>> its existence is pointless, i'm right?
>>
>> >From old times i was wonted to control services with
>> "/etc/init.d/SERVICE command" rather then "service SERVICE command"
>> - first variant was, using shell completion, much faster and prone
>> to fewer typing error. Of course, with /etc/init/ directory arrival,
>> was necessary type three extra character
>> Will we wait to see /etc/ without init directory?
>
> you will not see this removed as long not all services are native systemd
> and there are MANY pakcages missing until now, also remember that software
> outside the feodra-repos exists and it would be really dumb killing
> sysv-backward-comatibility the next years

/etc/init is not for SysV compatibility, it is for Upstart. Considering
that systemd is not Upstart-compatible, and AFAIK Fedora only really
used Upstart in SysV-compatibility mode rather than with Upstart native
scripts, I would expect to see /etc/init go away sometime in the near
future.

/etc/init.d, on the other hand, should stay around at least when you
have the LSB layer installed.

- Michael