Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 PM
"Mike Chalmers"

Default dual boot- Linux and Windows- Toshiba laptop...

I would like to setup a dual boot configuration on a Toshiba laptop. I
am first going to reinstall Windows on the Toshiba using the recovery
discs, because as of now Windows on the Toshiba is messed up. Then I
am going to install Fedora 8.

I have read several ways to do this and was wondering what the best
method is to do this?

Many Thanks,
Preston

Old 02-16-2008, 02:22 AM
Ben Kevan

On Friday 15 February 2008 04:35:38 pm Mike Chalmers wrote:
> I would like to setup a dual boot configuration on a Toshiba laptop. I
> am first going to reinstall Windows on the Toshiba using the recovery
> discs, because as of now Windows on the Toshiba is messed up. Then I
> am going to install Fedora 8.
>
> I have read several ways to do this and was wondering what the best
> method is to do this?
>
> Many Thanks,
> Preston

Install windows.. Then install Linux. You should be just fine

Ben

Old 02-16-2008, 05:00 PM
"Mike Chalmers"

On 2/15/08, Ben Kevan <ben.kevan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 15 February 2008 04:35:38 pm Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > I would like to setup a dual boot configuration on a Toshiba laptop. I
> > am first going to reinstall Windows on the Toshiba using the recovery
> > discs, because as of now Windows on the Toshiba is messed up. Then I
> > am going to install Fedora 8.
> >
> > I have read several ways to do this and was wondering what the best
> > method is to do this?
> >
> > Many Thanks,
> > Preston
>

> Install windows.. Then install Linux. You should be just fine
>
> Ben

So I can use the create custom partition in Fedora to resize my
Windows partition. I didn't think that this was possible? I thought
that I had to use another partition manager to resize my Windows
partition and then install Fedora.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 13:00 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> I can use the create custom partition in Fedora to resize my
> Windows partition. I didn't think that this was possible?

Me either. In the past, I'd used "fips" to do that job.

But which version of Windows, and what file system is it using? You may
be able to shrink Windows down from within itself. That's what I did on
a laptop that came with Vista.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Fred Erickson

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 19:35 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> I would like to setup a dual boot configuration on a Toshiba laptop. I
> am first going to reinstall Windows on the Toshiba using the recovery
> discs, because as of now Windows on the Toshiba is messed up. Then I
> am going to install Fedora 8.
>
> I have read several ways to do this and was wondering what the best
> method is to do this?
>
> Many Thanks,
> Preston

Hello Preston,

I recently setup a new Toshiba laptop to dual boot Vista & Fedora. You
didn't mention which version of Windows your laptop has now but be very
careful how you go about it if you're using Vista.

In the past, I have successfully re-partitioned several drives using
Knoppix or the "Ultimate Boot CD" on earlier versions of Windows so I
didn't anticipate any real problems this time. Vista (Ultimate version)
has a partitioning tool so I thought I'd give it a try. To make a long
story short, the tool did the re-partitioning but Windows wouldn't boot
after and the System Recovery disks wouldn't work either. I was able to
get the Recovery disk to work by repairing the drive with other tools -
so my advice is: Since your Windows is broken (normal?) anyway, create a
new, smaller partition first, leaving enough unallocated space for
Fedora. The Toshiba recovery cd will allow you to re-install Vista on
the smaller drive. Then install Fedora in the unused space.

Good luck,
Fred

Old 02-16-2008, 07:08 PM
"Mike Chalmers"

On 2/16/08, Fred Erickson <frederickson@iname.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 19:35 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > I would like to setup a dual boot configuration on a Toshiba laptop. I
> > am first going to reinstall Windows on the Toshiba using the recovery
> > discs, because as of now Windows on the Toshiba is messed up. Then I
> > am going to install Fedora 8.
> >
> > I have read several ways to do this and was wondering what the best
> > method is to do this?
> >
> > Many Thanks,
> > Preston
> >

> Hello Preston,
>
> I recently setup a new Toshiba laptop to dual boot Vista & Fedora. You
> didn't mention which version of Windows your laptop has now but be very
> careful how you go about it if you're using Vista.
>
> In the past, I have successfully re-partitioned several drives using
> Knoppix or the "Ultimate Boot CD" on earlier versions of Windows so I
> didn't anticipate any real problems this time. Vista (Ultimate version)
> has a partitioning tool so I thought I'd give it a try. To make a long
> story short, the tool did the re-partitioning but Windows wouldn't boot
> after and the System Recovery disks wouldn't work either. I was able to
> get the Recovery disk to work by repairing the drive with other tools -
> so my advice is: Since your Windows is broken (normal?) anyway, create a
> new, smaller partition first, leaving enough unallocated space for
> Fedora. The Toshiba recovery cd will allow you to re-install Vista on
> the smaller drive. Then install Fedora in the unused space.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Fred

Thanks for the help. Sorry about your troubles with Vista. I am using
Windows XP. I didn't know that you could create a smaller partition
using the recovery discs? Is it possible to create a smaller partition
using the recovery discs so that I can easily install Fedora or do I
need to resize my Windows partition using a partition program?

Old 02-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Fred Erickson

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 15:08 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> On 2/16/08, Fred Erickson <frederickson@iname.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 19:35 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > > I would like to setup a dual boot configuration on a Toshiba laptop. I
> > > am first going to reinstall Windows on the Toshiba using the recovery
> > > discs, because as of now Windows on the Toshiba is messed up. Then I
> > > am going to install Fedora 8.
> > >
> > > I have read several ways to do this and was wondering what the best
> > > method is to do this?
> > >
> > > Many Thanks,
> > > Preston
> > >

> > Hello Preston,
> >
> > I recently setup a new Toshiba laptop to dual boot Vista & Fedora. You
> > didn't mention which version of Windows your laptop has now but be very
> > careful how you go about it if you're using Vista.
> >
> > In the past, I have successfully re-partitioned several drives using
> > Knoppix or the "Ultimate Boot CD" on earlier versions of Windows so I
> > didn't anticipate any real problems this time. Vista (Ultimate version)
> > has a partitioning tool so I thought I'd give it a try. To make a long
> > story short, the tool did the re-partitioning but Windows wouldn't boot
> > after and the System Recovery disks wouldn't work either. I was able to
> > get the Recovery disk to work by repairing the drive with other tools -
> > so my advice is: Since your Windows is broken (normal?) anyway, create a
> > new, smaller partition first, leaving enough unallocated space for
> > Fedora. The Toshiba recovery cd will allow you to re-install Vista on
> > the smaller drive. Then install Fedora in the unused space.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Fred
> >

> > --
> >
> Thanks for the help. Sorry about your troubles with Vista. I am using
> Windows XP. I didn't know that you could create a smaller partition
> using the recovery discs? Is it possible to create a smaller partition
> using the recovery discs so that I can easily install Fedora or do I
> need to resize my Windows partition using a partition program?

I didn't say I used the recovery disk to _make_ a smaller partition. I
said the recovery disk with my computer could be used to restore the
system to an already created smaller partition. It may be possible, I
don't have time now to check that out. Use other tools such as parted or
qtparted to shrink the partition. Since you have XP on your machine, you
probably have a different model with different recovery disk, etc. Mine
is an A215-S4767.

I was wanting to point out that if you had Vista, there may be a problem
using Vista's build in tools. Vista wanted to keep about 200g of my 250g
drive for itself (figures approx.) I would not accept that. If you
re-install XP first, then re-size, you probably want to clean out
miscellaneous junk Toshiba includes - free software trials, etc, then
you need to de-frag the drive and make sure the swap isn't located in a
portion of the drive you want to give to Linux. Since you are going to
re-install XP anyway, make one smaller drive first, install XP, then
install Fedora. YMMV!!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:41 PM
"Mike Chalmers"

> Since you are going to
> re-install XP anyway, make one smaller drive first, install XP, then
> install Fedora. YMMV!!

My question is how do I make a smaller drive first?

Thanks,
Preston

Old 02-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 18:41 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> My question is how do I make a smaller drive first?

When you start the OS installation, you get a chance to partition the
drive (Windows and Fedora both ask you about this). Make your first
partition less than the entire drive size.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 AM
"Mike Chalmers"

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 18:41 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > My question is how do I make a smaller drive first?
>
> When you start the OS installation, you get a chance to partition the
> drive (Windows and Fedora both ask you about this). Make your first
> partition less than the entire drive size.

Thank you Tim. I wasn't aware that the Toshiba recovery discs gave you
the option to partition the disc, that is why I asked. I thought that
recovery discs automatically took up the whole hard drive. I hope that
is not the case because then I would have to go through more steps to
get Fedora 8 on my computer.

Preston