Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Henning Larsen

Default Run app as root in X

Hello

I want to make a folder on my desktop, containing links to several
config files I need to be root to edit.

I have been able to create launchers in gnome which open a terminal
prompting for password, but I would like a better way.

I tried to change permissions of the links, but that change the
permission on the linked file.

Is there any way to do su in X?

What I want is a folder containing some conf files (links) and be
prompted for root's password when i open them, or save them. What is the
best way to do this?

Henning Larsen

Old 02-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Kevin Kofler

Henning Larsen <hennlar <at> start.no> writes:
> Is there any way to do su in X?

The easiest way is to use kdesu (in kdebase).

Kevin Kofler

Old 02-16-2008, 03:41 AM
Henning Larsen

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 04:01 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Henning Larsen <hennlar <at> start.no> writes:
> > Is there any way to do su in X?
>
> The easiest way is to use kdesu (in kdebase).

ok, thank you. Why don't gnome have that?

Henning Larsen

Old 02-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Chris G

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 04:01:37AM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Henning Larsen <hennlar <at> start.no> writes:
> > Is there any way to do su in X?
>
> The easiest way is to use kdesu (in kdebase).

Surely it's also pretty easy to su to root in a terminal window and
then run the required application from the root command line (or in
the case in question just create the folders/directories using the
su'ed comaand line).

--
Chris Green

Old 02-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Henning Larsen

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 11:15 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 04:01:37AM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Henning Larsen <hennlar <at> start.no> writes:
> > > Is there any way to do su in X?
> >
> > The easiest way is to use kdesu (in kdebase).
> >
> Surely it's also pretty easy to su to root in a terminal window and
> then run the required application from the root command line (or in
> the case in question just create the folders/directories using the
> su'ed comaand line).
>
> --
Thanks.

OK, about creating folders using the su command, can you please explain
a bit more?

I want to as a regular user be able to edit config files. The safest
would be to get prompted for password, but it is not a must.

Henning Larsen

Old 02-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Chris G

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 02:26:37PM +0100, Henning Larsen wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 11:15 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > >
> > > The easiest way is to use kdesu (in kdebase).
> > >
> > Surely it's also pretty easy to su to root in a terminal window and
> > then run the required application from the root command line (or in
> > the case in question just create the folders/directories using the
> > su'ed comaand line).
> >
> > --
> Thanks.
>
> OK, about creating folders using the su command, can you please explain
> a bit more?
>
> I want to as a regular user be able to edit config files. The safest
> would be to get prompted for password, but it is not a must.

At a command prompt in a terminal window just issue the command 'su',
you will be asked for the root password and when you have entered it
you get a new prompt which is usually a '#' instead of '$' to warn you
that you are running as root.

Then just navigate to where you want to create folders/directories and
issue 'mkdir <name>' to you hearts content to create directories.

--
Chris Green

Old 02-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Chris G

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 02:07:14PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 02:26:37PM +0100, Henning Larsen wrote:

> > > Surely it's also pretty easy to su to root in a terminal window and
> > > then run the required application from the root command line (or in
> > > the case in question just create the folders/directories using the
> > > su'ed comaand line).
> > >
> > > --
> > Thanks.
> >
> > OK, about creating folders using the su command, can you please explain
> > a bit more?
> >
> > I want to as a regular user be able to edit config files. The safest
> > would be to get prompted for password, but it is not a must.
> >
> At a command prompt in a terminal window just issue the command 'su',
> you will be asked for the root password and when you have entered it
> you get a new prompt which is usually a '#' instead of '$' to warn you
> that you are running as root.
>
> Then just navigate to where you want to create folders/directories and
> issue 'mkdir <name>' to you hearts content to create directories.

Oops - and remember to 'exit' when you finish, not a good idea to
leave root logins lying around.

--
Chris Green

Old 02-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Les Mikesell

Henning Larsen wrote:

Is there any way to do su in X?

The easiest way is to use kdesu (in kdebase).

Surely it's also pretty easy to su to root in a terminal window and
then run the required application from the root command line (or in
the case in question just create the folders/directories using the
su'ed comaand line).

--

Thanks.

OK, about creating folders using the su command, can you please explain
a bit more?

I want to as a regular user be able to edit config files. The safest
would be to get prompted for password, but it is not a must.

Open a terminal window and type:
su -
then enter the root password. You can also set thing up so you can:
sudo su -
either without a password or with your own password instead of root's.
The trailing - means to pick up the login environment so you'll have the
right PATH, etc.

You can then use all command line tools as root in this window or start
X programs by typing their names. Keep in mind that you aren't limited
to just editing config files in this mode. You can do anything with
root permissions.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Henning Larsen

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 11:26 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Henning Larsen wrote:

> > want to as a regular user be able to edit config files. The safest
> > would be to get prompted for password, but it is not a must.
>

> Open a terminal window and type:
> su -
> then enter the root password. You can also set thing up so you can:
> sudo su -
> either without a password or with your own password instead of root's.
> The trailing - means to pick up the login environment so you'll have the
> right PATH, etc.
>
> You can then use all command line tools as root in this window or start
> X programs by typing their names. Keep in mind that you aren't limited
> to just editing config files in this mode. You can do anything with
> root permissions.

OK, I know all this, and it is the way I do things today.
What I want is a folder on my desktop with links to several config files
for easier configuration.

The solution I have so far is to create a launcher on the gnome desktop,
for the command:
kdesu gedit /path/to/file/name
It works ok, but I wish I did not have to install lots of kde to make it
work.

I can use a bash script file with:
su -c 'gedit /path/to/file/name'
which is better.

I have a dream
Is it possible to make a folder as root, make links to all the config
files, and open that folder using a su command (as regular user) and be
able to edit the files that way?
I must try that one.

Henning Larsen

Old 02-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Les Mikesell

Henning Larsen wrote:

OK, I know all this, and it is the way I do things today.
What I want is a folder on my desktop with links to several config files
for easier configuration.

The solution I have so far is to create a launcher on the gnome desktop,
for the command:
kdesu gedit /path/to/file/name
It works ok, but I wish I did not have to install lots of kde to make it
work.

I can use a bash script file with:
su -c 'gedit /path/to/file/name'
which is better.

I have a dream
Is it possible to make a folder as root, make links to all the config
files, and open that folder using a su command (as regular user) and be
able to edit the files that way?
I must try that one.

With most config files you could simply change ownership to yourself so
you can edit them, with or without symlinks to a folder on your desktop.
There are probably exceptions for things that make extra security checks
or have edit tools that replace the file instead of overwriting to
maintain existing ownership and modes.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com