Old 08-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Jatin K

Default configuring bridge with wlan0 on libvirt (KVM) (RHEL6)

Dear All,

I want to bridge a wireless LAN-card to use with KVM on my machine
(RHEL6) , luckily I'm able to use eth0 and it works fine , but I want
to use my wireless network with kvm . I'm not clear about how to bridge
with Wlan0 ( wireless network )

anybody can through light on this ? any how to or hint ?

Warm Regards

--
°v°
/(_)

Old 08-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda

Look here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/kvm-wireless-bridge-network-691953/
http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Creating_an_RHEL_6_KVM_Virtual_Machine

I want to bridge a wireless LAN-card to use with KVM on my machine

(RHEL6) , luckily I'm able to use eth0 and it works fine , *but I want

to use my wireless network with kvm . I'm not clear about how to bridge

with Wlan0 ( wireless network )

anybody can through light on this ? *any how to or hint ?

Warm Regards

--

* °v°

*/(_)

* ^ ^ *Jatin Khatri

Registerd Linux user No #501175

www.counter.li.org

No M$

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
*Software Engineer (UCI)
*Linux User # 418229
*http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186
*https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Marcosluis

Old 08-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Kernel Guardian

Put into ifcfg-wlan0 :

# bridged interface for wlan0
BRIDGE=br1

ifcfg-br1 :
DEVICE=br1
TYPE=Bridge
ONBOOT=yes

the rest of config is standard.

after restart network service or whole system, you can use br1 as
interface in KVM guest

Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Kernel Guardian writes:

Put into ifcfg-wlan0 :

# bridged interface for wlan0
BRIDGE=br1

ifcfg-br1 :
DEVICE=br1
TYPE=Bridge
ONBOOT=yes

the rest of config is standard.

after restart network service or whole system, you can use br1 as
interface in KVM guest

What confidence level exists that all wireless cards support bridging (or
that 802.11whatever supports a single client flinging multiple MACs at the
access point, in the first place), and that all wireless adapters are
willing to assign multiple DHCP leases to a single client, that suddenly
starts babbling multiple MAC addresses, all of a sudden? That's what I'm
wondering.

The way I reckon, with this kind of a setup NetworkManager will still try to
obtain an IP address from the access point, when it logs in. But then, when
the guest VM comes up, its stack will demand an IP address of its own, and
that demand will also go to the access point.

But even if this works, the way I see it that this effectively prevents
Networking from coming up on the guest unless wireless is up – because it
now relies on the access point to give it one.

Has anyone tried this, and can actually claim that this works, and is not
mere speculation. But even if it does, not being able to talk to the guest,
unless wireless is up, seems rather inconvenient. I say the best way is
just to enable NATing on the virtual bridge.