Old 02-15-2008, 10:16 PM
"Richard Shaw"

Default Odd behavior since last update (kernel related?)

I'm running F8 64 bit and after the last round of updates (they seemed to happen all at once, nothing one day, 250MB the next) I had some odd behaviors with networking and /dev/sr0 permissions.

I grep'ed through yum.log to verify there were no recent updates to udev or NetworkManager (or anything else i could guess would be related) and there were not.

After rebooting from installing the last round of updates my networking stopped after a few minutes of use. I clicked on the NetworkManager applet and it showed I had two wired connections available for some reason (I only have one). Selecting the other wired connection got things working for a while until it did it again. This time when I clicked on the applet it was showing 3 wired connections. I have since disabled NetworkManager.

The other issue that came up was related to k3b complaining about not having permissions to /dev/sr0. Checking the permissions showed owner (root) RW access and group (disk) R access. I poked through the udev rules file for block devices and it seemed to set them all to MODE="0640". I wasn't sure if that was correct for some of the devices so I added a MODE="0660" to just the sr[0-9] line and it seemed to work as I'm in the "disk" group. I'm just not sure if thats the best solution.

Anyone else have any similar issues?

Thanks,
Richard