Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM
linux guy

Default F14 locks up during graphical login into KDE

Hi people.

My F14 system is hanging during graphical login/boot into KDE.* The mouse becomes intermittent and then it freezes.

However, if I start a CLI session before it hangs, the CLI session runs fine.***

The machine will NOT shut down properly.* It hangs during shutdown.* It looks like one or more processes won't stop properly.

I believe this started happening after running yum update yesterday during which I noted that a new nvidia driver was installed.** I am running the proprietary nvidia driver, not nouveau.* (Ducks !)

Any ideas why this is happening ?** Anyone else having the same problem ?

Thanks !

Old 08-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda

Can you provides the /var/log/messages, top, free -m and iostat of your system?
Which kernel version are you using?
Which KDE version?

regards

My F14 system is hanging during graphical login/boot into KDE.* The mouse becomes intermittent and then it freezes.

However, if I start a CLI session before it hangs, the CLI session runs fine.***

The machine will NOT shut down properly.* It hangs during shutdown.* It looks like one or more processes won't stop properly.

I believe this started happening after running yum update yesterday during which I noted that a new nvidia driver was installed.** I am running the proprietary nvidia driver, not nouveau.* (Ducks !)

Any ideas why this is happening ?** Anyone else having the same problem ?

Thanks !

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
*Software Engineer (UCI)
*Linux User # 418229
*http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186
*https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Marcosluis

Old 08-25-2011, 04:34 PM
linux guy

/var/log/message is FILLED with NVRM os_pci_init_handle$: invalid context messages.