Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM
CA G Rajesh

Default file transfer in LAN

Hello,
I am running a SHO, with 3 systems. I have fedora-15 installed in all
the systems. IP addresses are automatically assigned through dhcp.
On configuring empathy to view nearby systems (telepathy-salut), I have
marked mdns as trusted services in system-config-firewall and add
tcp5222 and tcp5298 as trusted ports too. Still I could not transfer
file in LAN. File transfer is possible when firewall is disabled.
Am I going wrong somewhere? I need file transfer badly and I am afraid
to keep firewall disabled. Please find me some solution.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Rajesh

Old 08-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Rick Stevens

On 08/25/2011 08:20 AM, CA G Rajesh wrote:
> Hello,
> I am running a SHO, with 3 systems. I have fedora-15 installed in all
> the systems. IP addresses are automatically assigned through dhcp.
> On configuring empathy to view nearby systems (telepathy-salut), I have
> marked mdns as trusted services in system-config-firewall and add
> tcp5222 and tcp5298 as trusted ports too. Still I could not transfer
> file in LAN. File transfer is possible when firewall is disabled.
> Am I going wrong somewhere? I need file transfer badly and I am afraid
> to keep firewall disabled. Please find me some solution.

Your XMPP stuff probably uses Jingle to actually move files around since
XMPP itself absolutely sucks at it (data has to be base64-encoded
before transmission, etc.)

Jingle, in turn, uses RTP to send data and RTP uses TCP/UDP port 5004,
so set TCP and UDP port 5004 as trusted in your firewall and try again.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 AM
CA G Rajesh

Thank you, Mr Stevens.
But, this trusting of port tcp/udp5004 also did not work out.
Fedora developers may give an option in firewall to allow seamless communication within LAN. Of course, they may choose to warn the users of potential threat, if any, from such trusting.
If fact, I tried giver too. No hope
Regards,
Rajesh