Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Mike - W0TMW

Default FC7 and Apache won't start

I'm building a server based on FC7 and Apache won't start. I'm running
out of space on another server and this one is intended as a
replacement. I've looked through the archives, FAQs and while this
issue is mentioned, that's all I can find---a mention with no help for
resolution.

The error is:

Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
address 192.168.1.300:80 No listening sockets available, shutting down.

Unable to open logs [Failed]

I have another webserver that works just fine. The log directory have
identical owners/groups permissions so there shouldn't a permissions
problem for the logfiles. Plus the httpd.conf is identical. One works
the other servers doesn't

--
"Lose not thy airspeed lest the ground rises up and smites thee." - Anon.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Ed Greshko

Mike - W0TMW wrote:
I'm building a server based on FC7 and Apache won't start. I'm running
out of space on another server and this one is intended as a
replacement. I've looked through the archives, FAQs and while this
issue is mentioned, that's all I can find---a mention with no help for
resolution.

The error is:

Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
address 192.168.1.300:80 No listening sockets available, shutting down.

Unable to open logs [Failed]

You need to find what is using port 80.

Hint: netstat and lsof are your friends.

I have another webserver that works just fine. The log directory have
identical owners/groups permissions so there shouldn't a permissions
problem for the logfiles. Plus the httpd.conf is identical. One works
the other servers doesn't

--
The good (I am convinced, for one)
Is but the bad one leaves undone.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Alexander Dalloz

Mike - W0TMW schrieb:
I'm building a server based on FC7 and Apache won't start. I'm running
out of space on another server and this one is intended as a
replacement. I've looked through the archives, FAQs and while this
issue is mentioned, that's all I can find---a mention with no help for
resolution.

The error is:

Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
address 192.168.1.300:80 No listening sockets available, shutting down.

Unable to open logs [Failed]

address 192.168.1.300:80 !?

Correct your Apache config - that IP is invalid.
Test your setup with "apachectl -t" and "apachectl -S".

Alexander

Old 02-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Mike - W0TMW

I've run netstat and lsof. While they show a number of processes using
the IP, none are using port 80. I've also checked to see that I have
only one "Listen" statement in httpd.conf and at this time, no VirtualHosts.

I've since defaulted to the base httpd.conf as provided in the .rpm and
still get the same error.

Here is the screen showing "lsof" first and then netstat. The python
entry is yum-updated.

login as: root
root@192.168.1.30's password:
Access denied
root@192.168.1.30's password:
Last login: Fri Feb 15 19:32:36 2008 from 192.168.1.104
[root@cygni ~]# lsof -i:80
[root@cygni ~]# netstat -plant
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign
Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:8000
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2640/nasd
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:2208
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2218/hpiod
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:3306
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2396/mysqld
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:139
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2814/smbd
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:783
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2501/spamd.pid
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1857/rpcbind
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6000
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 14053/Xorg
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:10000
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 3431/perl
tcp 0 0 192.168.122.1:53
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2968/dnsmasq
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:21
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2300/vsftpd
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.30:53
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1827/named
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1827/named
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:631
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2240/cupsd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2533/sendmail: acce
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:953
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1827/named
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:445
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2814/smbd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:38078
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1896/rpc.statd
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:2207
0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2223/python
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.30:139
192.168.1.100:1083 ESTABLISHED 13515/smbd
tcp 0 0 :::993
:::* LISTEN 2477/dovecot
tcp 0 0 :::995
:::* LISTEN 2477/dovecot
tcp 0 0 :::110
:::* LISTEN 2477/dovecot
tcp 0 0 :::143
:::* LISTEN 2477/dovecot
tcp 0 0 :::6000
:::* LISTEN 14053/Xorg
tcp 0 0 :::22
:::* LISTEN 2259/sshd
tcp 0 0 ::1:953
:::* LISTEN 1827/named
tcp 0 3260 ::ffff:192.168.1.30:22
::ffff:192.168.1.100:1495 ESTABLISHED 14741/1

[root@cygni ~]#