Old 08-24-2011, 08:10 PM
CS DBA

Default Latest update boots to blank screen (nvidia)

Hi All;

I have an IBM Thinkpad with an Nvidia card ( nVidia Corporation
GT218 [NVS 3100M] (rev a2) )

I currently have the nouveau driver black listed in my grub.conf
setup: ** rhgb quiet nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau

I did the update which installed/updated the following:

---> Package kernel.i686 0:2.6.35.14-95.fc14 set to be
installed***************

---> Package kernel-devel.i686 0:2.6.35.14-95.fc14 set to be
installed*********

---> Package kernel-headers.i686 0:2.6.35.14-95.fc14 set to be
updated*********

---> Package kmod-nvidia.i686 1:280.13-2.fc14 set to be updated

However when I reboot the system boots to a blank screen, and even
the previous kernel boots to a blank screen.

I tried installing akmod-nvidia but get the same results

I've restored the system back to before the update for now...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM
CS DBA

[...]

Kevin Kempter - Constent State
A PostgreSQL Professional Services Company
www.consistentstate.com

Anyone have any suggestions how to debug this?

Thanks in advance...

Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Arthur Dent

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 08:48 -0600, CS DBA wrote:
> On 08/24/2011 02:10 PM, CS DBA wrote:
> > Hi All;
> >
> > I have an IBM Thinkpad with an Nvidia card ( nVidia Corporation
> > GT218 [NVS 3100M] (rev a2) )
> >
> > I currently have the nouveau driver black listed in my grub.conf
> > setup: rhgb quiet nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau
> >
> > I did the update which installed/updated the following:
> >
> > ---> Package kernel.i686 0:2.6.35.14-95.fc14 set to be
> > installed
> > ---> Package kernel-devel.i686 0:2.6.35.14-95.fc14 set to be
> > installed
> > ---> Package kernel-headers.i686 0:2.6.35.14-95.fc14 set to be
> > updated
> > ---> Package kmod-nvidia.i686 1:280.13-2.fc14 set to be updated
> >
> > However when I reboot the system boots to a blank screen, and even
> > the previous kernel boots to a blank screen.
> > I tried installing akmod-nvidia but get the same results
> >
> > I've restored the system back to before the update for now...
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > --
> > Kevin Kempter - Constent State
> > A PostgreSQL Professional Services Company
> > www.consistentstate.com
>

> Anyone have any suggestions how to debug this?

I can't help much, but if you look at my thread from earlier
today
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-August/403344.html
you'll see that I have a very similar problem.

I am just creating an account on the rpmfusion bugzilla list to report
this as a bug (have to go out now so will do it later tonight...).

Regards

Mark

Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 PM
linux guy

I've got boot issues in F14 and F15 preupgrade.

I haven't had a boot issue in Linux for years !

Old 08-25-2011, 05:18 PM
linux guy

How did you roll back the update ?

Thanks !

Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 PM
CS DBA

On 08/25/2011 11:18 AM, linux guy wrote:
> How did you roll back the update ?
>
> Thanks !

I have a couple of rsync scripts. I run the rsync_backup.sh before I
apply ANY updates no matter how trivial. Then I can always run
rsync_restore.sh to roll back. The only downside is that I have to have
space in /stage/backup to hold a copy of most of my system (the parts I
back up), however I have (2) 750GB drives in my laptop and /stage is the
full second drive so it works out pretty well. Anything I don't plan on
backing up I stage on the /stage drive - I have a number of VM's that I
do not back up in /stage/virtualmachines. This has saved me from having
a down / disabled system many many times...

Here's the scripts:

$ cat rsync_backup.sh

#!/bin/bash

for I in `cat dirlist`
do
echo "[$I]"
echo "=========="
rsync -avXA --delete /${I} /stage/backup
done

$ cat rsync_restore.sh

#!/bin/bash

for I in `cat dirlist2`
do
echo "[$I]"
echo "=========="
rsync -avXA --delete /stage/backup/${I} /
done

and here's my dirlist files (note that I backup /home but in the list
used for restore I don't bother to restore it, however it's nice to have
that option):

$ cat dirlist

bin
boot
cgroup
etc
home
lib
lost+found
misc
opt
root
sbin
selinux
srv
tmp
usr
var

$ cat dirlist2

bin
boot
etc
lib
lost+found
misc
net
opt
root
sbin
selinux
srv
tmp
usr
var

Old 09-06-2011, 04:40 PM
CS DBA

[...]

I still cannot apply the latest kernel & nvidia package. Has
anyone resolved this?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-06-2011, 05:01 PM
linux guy

I still cannot apply the latest kernel & nvidia package. Has
anyone resolved this?

I got two of my computers with this problem to boot by removing all kmod-nvidia and akmod-nvidia files and also removing (renaming) /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

This causes the machines to boot with the nouveau driver, which works for me, for now.

I'll tackle the issue again when I have more time.