Old 08-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Eberhard Schruefer

Default NetworkManager, openswan and l2tp

Hello,

I need to connect to a site via l2tp/openswan. I can set up openswan and
xl2tpd manually and this works fine.
However, bringing up the connection is not very comfortable and it would
be much nicer to be able to use the
networkmanager-openswan plugin. Unfortunately, l2tp and other 'advanced
settings' cannot be selected from
networkmanager-connection-editor. A quick look at the source code of
NetworkManager-openswan-1.7.0 shows
that these options are programmed, but seem not to be available in
Fedora 15.

Will these options eventually be set-able in Fedora?

Thanks.

Best wishes
Eberhard

Old 08-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Eberhard Schruefer

Hello,

I need to connect to a site via l2tp/openswan. I can set up openswan and
xl2tpd
manually and this works fine. However, bringing up the connection is not
very
comfortable and it would be much nicer to be able to use the
networkmanager-openswan
plugin.
Unfortunately, l2tp and other 'advanced settings' cannot be selected from
networkmanager-connection-editor. A quick look at the source code of
NetworkManager-openswan-1.7.0 shows that these options are programmed,
but seem not to be available in Fedora 15.

Will these options eventually be set-able in Fedora?

Would converting the glade file in NetworkManager-openswan-1.7.0 to
gtkbuilder
and a recompile of networkmanager-openswan suffice?

Thanks.

Best wishes
Eberhard

Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Dan Williams

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 11:00 +0200, Eberhard Schruefer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to connect to a site via l2tp/openswan. I can set up openswan and
> xl2tpd
> manually and this works fine. However, bringing up the connection is not
> very
> comfortable and it would be much nicer to be able to use the
> networkmanager-openswan
> plugin.
> Unfortunately, l2tp and other 'advanced settings' cannot be selected from
> networkmanager-connection-editor. A quick look at the source code of
> NetworkManager-openswan-1.7.0 shows that these options are programmed,
> but seem not to be available in Fedora 15.

Which openswan sources are you looking at?

> Will these options eventually be set-able in Fedora?

It's probable they will be but it might take some work. AFAIK there
isn't yet an L2TP VPN plugin for NM though I've heard of people working
on one.

> Would converting the glade file in NetworkManager-openswan-1.7.0 to
> gtkbuilder
> and a recompile of networkmanager-openswan suffice?

As part of the NM 0.9 push we moved the existing NM-openvpn plugin to
git.gnome.org and cleaned it up, including converting to GtkBuilder.
But that alone wouldn't magically make L2TP work unless the right
options were added to the UI.

Dan

Old 08-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Peter Lemenkov

2011/8/25 Dan Williams <dcbw@redhat.com>:
> On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 11:00 +0200, Eberhard Schruefer wrote:
>> Hello,
> It's probable they will be but it might take some work. *AFAIK there
> isn't yet an L2TP VPN plugin for NM though I've heard of people working
> on one.

https://github.com/atorkhov/NetworkManager-l2tp

I've even heard some positive feedback.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Eberhard Schruefer

On 08/25/2011 13:57 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 11:00 +0200, Eberhard Schruefer wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> openswan and
>> > xl2tpd
>> > manually and this works fine. However, bringing up the connection
>> is not
>> > very
>> > comfortable and it would be much nicer to be able to use the
>> > networkmanager-openswan
>> > plugin.
>> > Unfortunately, l2tp and other 'advanced settings' cannot be
>> selected from
>> > networkmanager-connection-editor. A quick look at the source code of
>> > NetworkManager-openswan-1.7.0 shows that these options are
>> programmed,
>> > but seem not to be available in Fedora 15.
> Which openswan sources are you looking at?

I'm referring to the networkmanager-openswan plugin source written by
Alexander Dorokhov
(hosted on xelerance). It seems that everything necessary to be set
through the UI is there and
also the code for bringing up xl2tpd. However, it looks like that
openswan itself has to be
compiled with HAVE_STATSD. It would be great if we could all have that
in FEDORA!

>> > Will these options eventually be set-able in Fedora?
> It's probable they will be but it might take some work. AFAIK there
> isn't yet an L2TP VPN plugin for NM though I've heard of people working
> on one.
>
>> > Would converting the glade file in NetworkManager-openswan-1.7.0 to
>> > gtkbuilder
>> > and a recompile of networkmanager-openswan suffice?
> As part of the NM 0.9 push we moved the existing NM-openvpn plugin to
> git.gnome.org and cleaned it up, including converting to GtkBuilder.
> But that alone wouldn't magically make L2TP work unless the right
> options were added to the UI.

I think to vaguely remember that these options were available in very
early releases of the openswan
networkmanager plugin, but disappeared in later versions. What was
reason for that?

Eberhard

Old 08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Avesh Agarwal

On 08/26/2011 05:09 AM, Eberhard Schruefer wrote:

>>> openswan and
>>> is not
>>> selected from
>>> programmed,
>> Which openswan sources are you looking at?
> I'm referring to the networkmanager-openswan plugin source written by
> Alexander Dorokhov
> (hosted on xelerance). It seems that everything necessary to be set
> through the UI is there and
> also the code for bringing up xl2tpd. However, it looks like that
> openswan itself has to be
> compiled with HAVE_STATSD. It would be great if we could all have that
> in FEDORA!
HAVE_STATSD is disabled by openswan upstream by default. If the option
is enabled upstream in a future release,it will be in Fedora too.
>> It's probable they will be but it might take some work. AFAIK there
>> isn't yet an L2TP VPN plugin for NM though I've heard of people working
>> on one.

>> As part of the NM 0.9 push we moved the existing NM-openvpn plugin to
>> git.gnome.org and cleaned it up, including converting to GtkBuilder.
>> But that alone wouldn't magically make L2TP work unless the right
>> options were added to the UI.
> I think to vaguely remember that these options were available in very
> early releases of the openswan
> networkmanager plugin, but disappeared in later versions. What was
> reason for that?
The red hat implementation hosted at git.gnome.org never had L2TP
options, and so these option were never in Fedora.

--
Thanks and Regards
Avesh

Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Dan Williams

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 11:50 -0400, Avesh Agarwal wrote:
> On 08/26/2011 05:09 AM, Eberhard Schruefer wrote:

> >> Which openswan sources are you looking at?
> > I'm referring to the networkmanager-openswan plugin source written by
> > Alexander Dorokhov
> > (hosted on xelerance). It seems that everything necessary to be set
> > through the UI is there and
> > also the code for bringing up xl2tpd. However, it looks like that
> > openswan itself has to be
> > compiled with HAVE_STATSD. It would be great if we could all have that
> > in FEDORA!
> HAVE_STATSD is disabled by openswan upstream by default. If the option
> is enabled upstream in a future release,it will be in Fedora too.
> >> It's probable they will be but it might take some work. AFAIK there
> >> isn't yet an L2TP VPN plugin for NM though I've heard of people working
> >> on one.

> >> As part of the NM 0.9 push we moved the existing NM-openvpn plugin to
> >> git.gnome.org and cleaned it up, including converting to GtkBuilder.
> >> But that alone wouldn't magically make L2TP work unless the right
> >> options were added to the UI.
> > I think to vaguely remember that these options were available in very
> > early releases of the openswan
> > networkmanager plugin, but disappeared in later versions. What was
> > reason for that?
> The red hat implementation hosted at git.gnome.org never had L2TP
> options, and so these option were never in Fedora.

Would be cool if we could add it though... TBH I'm not actually
familiar with how the layering works with L2TP, since I thought it was
more standalone like PPTP but just somehow better. My lack of knowledge
about L2TP could fill a barrel, simply because I haven't had time to
investigate. If others know more, by all means, help us out with
patches.

Dan

Old 08-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Eberhard Schruefer

On 08/26/2011 11:50 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

>> > HAVE_STATSD is disabled by openswan upstream by default. If the option
>> > is enabled upstream in a future release,it will be in Fedora too.

>> > The red hat implementation hosted at git.gnome.org never had L2TP
>> > options, and so these option were never in Fedora.
> Would be cool if we could add it though... TBH I'm not actually
> familiar with how the layering works with L2TP, since I thought it was
> more standalone like PPTP but just somehow better. My lack of knowledge
> about L2TP could fill a barrel, simply because I haven't had time to
> investigate. If others know more, by all means, help us out with
> patches.
>
> Dan

Is there any strong reason for not compiling the current openswan with
HAVE_STATSD
and making all options available that offers networkmanager-openswan-1.7.0?

I think it would indeed be very cool!

Eberhard