Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Lars Eighner

Default Non-native RPM or compile?

I want lifeline (genealogy program). I don't find it packaged for Fedora 15.
I do find an OpenSuSE rpm, apparently appropriate for my architecture.

In general, would I be better off using a non-native RPM or compiling it
myself?

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html

Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 23/08/11 20:11, Lars Eighner wrote:
> I want lifeline (genealogy program). I don't find it packaged for Fedora 15.
> I do find an OpenSuSE rpm, apparently appropriate for my architecture.
>
> In general, would I be better off using a non-native RPM or compiling it
> myself?

You may not like "gramps" but it works and is available via yum.

Bob

Old 08-24-2011, 12:37 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Richard Shaw

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
<mellertson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/23/2011 07:11 PM, Lars Eighner wrote:
>> I want lifeline (genealogy program). I don't find it packaged for Fedora 15.
>> I do find an OpenSuSE rpm, apparently appropriate for my architecture.
>>
>> In general, would I be better off using a non-native RPM or compiling it
>> myself?
>>
> It depends on the libraries it was compiled ageist. What I usually
> do is grab the source RPM, and compile it on my system. You run into
> less problems that way.

+1 for this method but watch the output from rpmbuild carefully or
better yet build it under mock so you get a nice log file. Some of the
libraries are have different names and some of the macros are
different so depending how the spec file is written you could still
run into problems.

Richard

Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Lars Eighner

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> On 23/08/11 20:11, Lars Eighner wrote:
>> I want lifeline (genealogy program). I don't find it packaged for Fedora 15.
>> I do find an OpenSuSE rpm, apparently appropriate for my architecture.
>>
>> In general, would I be better off using a non-native RPM or compiling it
>> myself?
>>

> You may not like "gramps" but it works and is available via yum.

It's not so much disliking gramps as having a big stack of php functions to
query a lifelines database and lifelines report-language scripts to produce
pages customized to my site.

Also apparently to get a command-line image viewer, I have to
compile/install zgv since, I discover the fb in fbi stands for framebuffer.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 19:11 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
> I want lifeline (genealogy program). I don't find it packaged for Fedora 15.
> I do find an OpenSuSE rpm, apparently appropriate for my architecture.
>
> In general, would I be better off using a non-native RPM or compiling it
> myself?

The optimal solution here would be for you to take the OpenSuSE source
RPM, extract it, modify the spec file so that it corresponds to the
Fedora Packaging Guidelines[1] and then submit it for package review[2]
in Fedora. That way others can use this tool as well.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join

Old 08-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 24/08/11 08:46, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 19:11 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
>> I want lifeline (genealogy program). I don't find it packaged for Fedora 15.
>> I do find an OpenSuSE rpm, apparently appropriate for my architecture.
>>
>> In general, would I be better off using a non-native RPM or compiling it
>> myself?
>
> The optimal solution here would be for you to take the OpenSuSE source
> RPM, extract it, modify the spec file so that it corresponds to the
> Fedora Packaging Guidelines[1] and then submit it for package review[2]
> in Fedora. That way others can use this tool as well.
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines
> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join

Yes, I would like a copy to try here.

Bob