Old 08-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Paul Smith

Default Installing driver for WiFi adapter

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks, Terry.
>>
>> Why do you believe you need to install some kind of a driver? From the
>> below, it looks like your card is an atheros chip-based one, and you have a
>> bunch of ath9 modules loaded.
>>
>> What exactly is or is not working for you.
>
> Well, I plug the the USB device and nothing happens. According to the
> manual, a led should be turned on when I plug the USB.

A possible explanation is here:

Paul

Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 PM
"John W. Linville"

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:36:06PM +0100, Paul Smith wrote:

> >> Why do you believe you need to install some kind of a driver? From the
> >> below, it looks like your card is an atheros chip-based one, and you have a
> >> bunch of ath9 modules loaded.
> >>
> >> What exactly is or is not working for you.
> >
> > Well, I plug the the USB device and nothing happens. According to the
> > manual, a led should be turned on when I plug the USB.
>
> A possible explanation is here:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=268068

That relates to the carl9170 driver. We don't have that firmware
packaged in Fedora either -- no one ever bothered to review my
package of the SH cross compiler used to build the firmware, and I
haven't bothered to bang the drum about it either. Anyway, that's
a different issue.

The ath9k_htc firmware used to be in the linux-firmware tree, but
apparently they have stopped updating it there? Not sure...

Anyway, you can find the firmware and get it installed by starting
here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_htc#Firmware

Hth!

John
--
John W. Linville The truth will set you free, but first it will
linville@redhat.com make you miserable. -- James A. Garfield

Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Paul Smith

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM, John W. Linville <linville@redhat.com> wrote:

>> > Well, I plug the the USB device and nothing happens. According to the
>> > manual, a led should be turned on when I plug the USB.
>>
>> A possible explanation is here:
>>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=268068
>
> That relates to the carl9170 driver. *We don't have that firmware
> packaged in Fedora either -- no one ever bothered to review my
> package of the SH cross compiler used to build the firmware, and I
> haven't bothered to bang the drum about it either. *Anyway, that's
> a different issue.
>
> The ath9k_htc firmware used to be in the linux-firmware tree, but
> apparently they have stopped updating it there? *Not sure...
>
> Anyway, you can find the firmware and get it installed by starting
> here:
>
> * * * *http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_htc#Firmware
>
> Hth!

Thanks, John. Since the referred wireless adapter did not improve my
signal reception, I returned it to the shop meanwhile. So, in my case,
that is not anymore an issue. However, I did have the wireless adapter
working with

kernel-2.6.38.8-35.fc15.x86_64

Paul

Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Paul Smith writes:

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com>
wrote:

>> > Can you post output of lsmod and lsusb. Have you installed the firmware
>> > for the device into /lib/firmware? *If the device is supported by the
>> > kernel you won't be able to load the module without the firmware
>> > installed.
>> >
>> > Google is your friend.
>>
>> Thanks, Terry.
>
> Why do you believe you need to install some kind of a driver? From the
> below, it looks like your card is an atheros chip-based one, and you have a
> bunch of ath9 modules loaded.
>
> What exactly is or is not working for you.

Well, I plug the the USB device and nothing happens. According to the
manual, a led should be turned on when I plug the USB.

That may not mean anything. These kinds of idiot lights are often software
controlled. My laptop has a built-in idiot light for it's built-in wireless
cards. It obediently lights up when I boot Windows. It stays off in Fedora.
Maybe in blinks occasionally, but wireless works just fine. The kernel
driver, I guess, doesn't bother to turn on the idiot light, when it
initializes the adapter.

The most important thing is whether NetworkManager claims to see a wireless
interface, and gives you a list of available access points your wireless
card is hearing, and not whether some idiot light comes on.

A good source of clues is to look at what gets written into
/var/log/messages, when you plug in the card.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Paul Smith

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:

>> > Why do you believe you need to install some kind of a driver? From the
>> > below, it looks like your card is an atheros chip-based one, and you
>> > have a
>> > bunch of ath9 modules loaded.
>> >
>> > What exactly is or is not working for you.
>>
>> Well, I plug the the USB device and nothing happens. According to the
>> manual, a led should be turned on when I plug the USB.
>
> That may not mean anything. These kinds of idiot lights are often software
> controlled. My laptop has a built-in idiot light for it's built-in wireless
> cards. It obediently lights up when I boot Windows. It stays off in Fedora.
> Maybe in blinks occasionally, but wireless works just fine. The kernel
> driver, I guess, doesn't bother to turn on the idiot light, when it
> initializes the adapter.
>
> The most important thing is whether NetworkManager claims to see a wireless
> interface, and gives you a list of available access points your wireless
> card is hearing, and not whether some idiot light comes on.
>
> A good source of clues is to look at what gets written into
> /var/log/messages, when you plug in the card.

Thanks, Sam. You are absolutely right: the wireless adapter was
working properly without any light being blinking or flashing.

Paul

Old 08-24-2011, 04:34 PM
mike cloaked

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM, John W. Linville <linville@redhat.com> wrote:

>> > Well, I plug the the USB device and nothing happens. According to the
>> > manual, a led should be turned on when I plug the USB.
>>
>> A possible explanation is here:
>>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=268068
>
> That relates to the carl9170 driver. *We don't have that firmware
> packaged in Fedora either -- no one ever bothered to review my
> package of the SH cross compiler used to build the firmware, and I
> haven't bothered to bang the drum about it either. *Anyway, that's
> a different issue.
>
> The ath9k_htc firmware used to be in the linux-firmware tree, but
> apparently they have stopped updating it there? *Not sure...
>
> Anyway, you can find the firmware and get it installed by starting
> here:
>
> * * * *http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_htc#Firmware
>
> Hth!
>
> John

I also have a machine that has to use an external usb wifi adapter and
in my case I have a tiny device that relies on rtl8712su or rtl8192su
- which is a slight aside from the thread on ath9k...but similar issue
in that there is no wireless driver by default.

Until f14/15 I was able to compile the driver from the source from
realtek - and copy the firmware to /lib/firmware and it would work
fine - however I recently installed f16 alpha rc5 and updated via
ether - but the wireless driver won't compile - (yes I have
kernel-devel and kernel-headers).

I could give the output of lsusb and other diagnostics but I wonder if
anyone else has had a similar issue with f16a ? Any tips for
rtl8712/8192 for usb would be appreciated.

--
mike c