Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Joe Zeff

Default Needs-restarting is useless

I've tried using needs-restarting after updates, but never had it report
that anything was needed, either running it as myself or as root.
Today's update included Firefox, Thunderbird (both running at the time)
and a new kernel.

> [joe@khorlia Desktop]$ su -c needs-restarting
> Password:
> [joe@khorlia Desktop]$ needs-restarting
> [joe@khorlia Desktop]$

If it's actually supposed to do something, it's b0rk.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM
John Pilkington

On 23/08/11 20:29, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I've tried using needs-restarting after updates, but never had it report
> that anything was needed, either running it as myself or as root.
> Today's update included Firefox, Thunderbird (both running at the time)
> and a new kernel.
>
>> [joe@khorlia Desktop]$ su -c needs-restarting
>> Password:
>> [joe@khorlia Desktop]$ needs-restarting
>> [joe@khorlia Desktop]$
>
> If it's actually supposed to do something, it's b0rk.

Running F14 x86_64. I didn't upgrade the kernel - waiting for ATrpms kmdls

[John@localhost ~]$ su
Password:

[root@localhost John]# needs-restarting

3433 : /usr/lib64/thunderbird-3.1/thunderbird-bin
5567 : /usr/lib64/firefox-3.6/firefox-UILocaleen-GB

Thunderbird and Firefox restarted here

Update smart's package caches:

[root@localhost John]# cd /var/lib/smart
[root@localhost smart]# /usr/bin/python repomanage.py --old ./packages |
xargs mv -t ./purged1
[root@localhost smart]# /usr/bin/python repomanage.py --old ./purged1 |
xargs rm -f
[root@localhost smart]# needs-restarting
[root@localhost smart]# exit
exit

Haven't seen any problems yet...

John P

Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/23/2011 12:43 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> [John@localhost ~]$ su
> Password:
>
> [root@localhost John]# needs-restarting
>
> 3433 : /usr/lib64/thunderbird-3.1/thunderbird-bin
> 5567 : /usr/lib64/firefox-3.6/firefox-UILocaleen-GB
>
> Thunderbird and Firefox restarted here

Interesting. I tried again, using su - instead of su -c to see what
happened and it still reports nothing. In fact, it's never reported
anything needing restarting. Clearly, my copy of it's b0rk. Any ideas
why? (I haven't restarted anything yet, and will hold off for a little
bit in case there are any suggestions.)

Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/23/2011 12:43 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> Haven't seen any problems yet...

I just fired up my laptop, also running F 14. After making sure firefox
and the GIMP were running, I used yumex to update my system. Both were
updated, but running needs-restarting, either as root or as myself
returned nothing needing restarting. Has anybody else seen this on F 14?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 PM
John Pilkington

On 23/08/11 22:34, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 12:43 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> Haven't seen any problems yet...
>
> I just fired up my laptop, also running F 14. After making sure firefox
> and the GIMP were running, I used yumex to update my system. Both were
> updated, but running needs-restarting, either as root or as myself
> returned nothing needing restarting. Has anybody else seen this on F 14?

In the earlier post I ran it as root: I've run it before both as root
and as myself and the results have been plausible and the same. k3b was
another recent example.

$which needs-restarting
/usr/bin/needs-restarting

part of yum-utils-1.1.28-1.fc14.noarch.rpm

John P

Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 24.08.2011 00:59, schrieb John Pilkington:
> On 23/08/11 22:34, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 08/23/2011 12:43 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>> Haven't seen any problems yet...
>>
>> I just fired up my laptop, also running F 14. After making sure firefox
>> and the GIMP were running, I used yumex to update my system. Both were
>> updated, but running needs-restarting, either as root or as myself
>> returned nothing needing restarting. Has anybody else seen this on F 14?
>
> In the earlier post I ran it as root: I've run it before both as root
> and as myself and the results have been plausible and the same. k3b was
> another recent example.
>
> $which needs-restarting
> /usr/bin/needs-restarting
>
> part of yum-utils-1.1.28-1.fc14.noarch.rpm

i did not know "needs-restarting" before some posts on this mailing-list
but for me on F15 it DOES NOT work too, it gave nothing out after a lot
of updates including running services like httpd and php itself

Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 08/24/2011 04:36 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> i did not know "needs-restarting" before some posts on this mailing-list
> but for me on F15 it DOES NOT work too, it gave nothing out after a lot
> of updates including running services like httpd and php itself

Have you filed a bug report?

Rahul

Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 AM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 23/08/11 21:07, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 12:43 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> [John@localhost ~]$ su
>> Password:
>>
>> [root@localhost John]# needs-restarting
>>
>> 3433 : /usr/lib64/thunderbird-3.1/thunderbird-bin
>> 5567 : /usr/lib64/firefox-3.6/firefox-UILocaleen-GB
>>
>> Thunderbird and Firefox restarted here
>
> Interesting. I tried again, using su - instead of su -c to see what
> happened and it still reports nothing. In fact, it's never reported
> anything needing restarting. Clearly, my copy of it's b0rk. Any ideas
> why? (I haven't restarted anything yet, and will hold off for a little
> bit in case there are any suggestions.)

May I wish you better luck than I had with Fedora 15. It does appear to
be a troublesome release, so I'm staying with Fedora 14 for now.

cpp4ever