Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

Default Kernel upgrades?

Hey all,

I am running Fedora 14, and just wondered if there is any simple way to
upgrade to the 3.0 kernel without compiling a vanilla version? For
example, would it be possible to use a pre-compiled kernel from Rawhide
and integrate it into my current system?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 PM
suvayu ali

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Christopher Svanefalk
<christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> For
> example, would it be possible to use a pre-compiled kernel from Rawhide
> and integrate it into my current system?

2.6.40 from F15 might be easier. It is 3.0 patched and adapted for F15.

--
Suvayu

Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

On 08/23/2011 12:42 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Christopher Svanefalk
> <christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For
>> example, would it be possible to use a pre-compiled kernel from Rawhide
>> and integrate it into my current system?
> 2.6.40 from F15 might be easier. It is 3.0 patched and adapted for F15.

Alright, thanks!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 08:22 +0200, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 12:42 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Christopher Svanefalk
> > <christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> For
> >> example, would it be possible to use a pre-compiled kernel from Rawhide
> >> and integrate it into my current system?
> > 2.6.40 from F15 might be easier. It is 3.0 patched and adapted for F15.
> >

> Alright, thanks!

Just to provide a more complete answer: the issue with trying to use a
3.x kernel on Fedora 14 (or Fedora 15) is that a large number of
applications and kernel models are designed to expect the 2.x version
number. They fail to parse the 3.x version and will not run properly.
This has mostly been worked out for Fedora 16 packages, but the effort
has not been backported to F14 and F15.

So I'd recommend that what you probably want to do is to take the SRPM
for the 2.6.40.3 kernel from Fedora 15 and rebuild it for F14.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Stephen Gallagher

Old 08-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Roberto Ragusa

> Just to provide a more complete answer: the issue with trying to use a
> 3.x kernel on Fedora 14 (or Fedora 15) is that a large number of
> applications and kernel models are designed to expect the 2.x version
> number. They fail to parse the 3.x version and will not run properly.
> This has mostly been worked out for Fedora 16 packages, but the effort
> has not been backported to F14 and F15.
>
> So I'd recommend that what you probably want to do is to take the SRPM
> for the 2.6.40.3 kernel from Fedora 15 and rebuild it for F14.

In addition to the 3.x parsing problem, it was my impression that
kernel upgrades turned out more problematic than usual since the moment
graphic stuff was moved into the kernel. This has created more
dependency between the kernel and some X and Mesa parts, especially
considering the great pace of development of this code (nouveau
etc.).

Isn't this the real reason F14 is stuck at 2.6.35?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 08-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Genes MailLists

On 08/23/2011 08:15 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 08:22 +0200, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> Just to provide a more complete answer: the issue with trying to use a
> 3.x kernel on Fedora 14 (or Fedora 15) is that a large number of
> applications and kernel models are designed to expect the 2.x version
> number. They fail to parse the 3.x version and will not run properly.
> This has mostly been worked out for Fedora 16 packages, but the effort
> has not been backported to F14 and F15.
>
> So I'd recommend that what you probably want to do is to take the SRPM
> for the 2.6.40.3 kernel from Fedora 15 and rebuild it for F14.

You may possibly need these as well:

procps, mdadm, device-mapper and module-init-tools

from F15 as well ... I'd compare the F14 and F15 versions

Old 08-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Genes MailLists

On 08/23/2011 09:05 AM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

> In addition to the 3.x parsing problem, it was my impression that
> kernel upgrades turned out more problematic than usual since the moment
> graphic stuff was moved into the kernel. This has created more
> dependency between the kernel and some X and Mesa parts, especially
> considering the great pace of development of this code (nouveau
> etc.).
>
> Isn't this the real reason F14 is stuck at 2.6.35?

Yes - definitely correct .. I forgot about that - you'll need to also
update all of mesa and maybe some of X too ...

The simplest way to do this ... may just be to install F15 .. :-)

Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 23.08.2011, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> Just to provide a more complete answer: the issue with trying to use a
> 3.x kernel on Fedora 14 (or Fedora 15) is that a large number of
> applications and kernel models are designed to expect the 2.x version
> number. They fail to parse the 3.x version and will not run properly.

I have never used any distribution kernel besides the installation process itself.
I'm running both the latest -stable and -mainline on my F15 machine without any problems.

So what's the problem with a 3.x version in detail?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

On 08/23/2011 03:11 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 08/23/2011 09:05 AM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>
>> In addition to the 3.x parsing problem, it was my impression that
>> kernel upgrades turned out more problematic than usual since the moment
>> graphic stuff was moved into the kernel. This has created more
>> dependency between the kernel and some X and Mesa parts, especially
>> considering the great pace of development of this code (nouveau
>> etc.).
>>
>> Isn't this the real reason F14 is stuck at 2.6.35?
>>

> Yes - definitely correct .. I forgot about that - you'll need to also
> update all of mesa and maybe some of X too ...
>
> The simplest way to do this ... may just be to install F15 .. :-)

Hehe, well I will be upgrading to F16 when it drops anyway so...might as
well wait I guess