Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Default Totem and Mozplugger Firefox plugin deathmatch over audio/wav

I've got one x86_64 machine with Firefox, and one i386 machine. Both have
totem-mozplugin and mozplugger installed.

On both machines, aboutlugin shows audio/wav MIME type being handled by
both of them.

The 32 bit machine though, in Firefox's Preferences → Application dialog,
only the Totem plugin is listed as an available handler for a WAV file. The
64 bit machine only shows Mozplugger in the dropdown list of handlers. Both
plugins appear to be locked in a deathmatch over who gets its dibs on
audio/wav.

I note that both machines also have mplayer installed, and in both cases
mplayer is also offered as an alternative choice to either mozplugger or
totem, for audio/wav. I do not understand why mozplugger and totem are not
offered as choices simultaneously, and why it's one on one machine, and the
other on the other machine.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 PM

On 08/22/2011 02:09 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> I've got one x86_64 machine with Firefox, and one i386 machine. Both have
> totem-mozplugin and mozplugger installed.
>
> On both machines, aboutlugin shows audio/wav MIME type being handled by
> both of them.

not place to be looking.

from menu bar; "edit > preferences > applications"

you should be able to take it from there.

if not, have a look in bottom left corner.

hth.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Sam Varshavchik

g writes:

On 08/22/2011 02:09 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> I've got one x86_64 machine with Firefox, and one i386 machine. Both have
> totem-mozplugin and mozplugger installed.
>
> On both machines, aboutlugin shows audio/wav MIME type being handled by
> both of them.

not place to be looking.

from menu bar; "edit > preferences > applications"

That's what I said in my original post.

you should be able to take it from there.

if not, have a look in bottom left corner.

And as I described, Firefox only shows one of the two, as an available
handler for WAV files.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:35 AM

On 08/22/2011 08:19 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> g writes:
>
>> On 08/22/2011 02:09 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>> I've got one x86_64 machine with Firefox, and one i386 machine. Both have
>>> totem-mozplugin and mozplugger installed.
>>>
>>> On both machines, aboutlugin shows audio/wav MIME type being handled by
>>> both of them.
>>
>> not place to be looking.
>>
>> from menu bar; "edit > preferences > applications"
>
> That's what I said in my original post.
>
>> you should be able to take it from there.
>>
>> if not, have a look in bottom left corner.
>
> And as I described, Firefox only shows one of the two, as an available
> handler for WAV files.

i read you post and am aware of what you said you had done. what i am not
aware of is if you followed what i meant by my last 2 statements.

so to be more direct, did you press [Help] button?

in addition just what is problem you are having?

if getting music to play, have you tried enabling "mplayer".

to bring this portion of your post back in to "play". [pun intended]

>> I note that both machines also have mplayer installed, and in both cases
>> mplayer is also offered as an alternative choice to either mozplugger or
>> totem, for audio/wav. I do not understand why mozplugger and totem are not
>> offered as choices simultaneously, and why it's one on one machine, and the
>> other on the other machine.

because that is way devs thought it should be, being that you have options
of "always ask" and "use other". if you select "use other", i believe that
will move 'other' into choices.

as for choices in my firefox for 'wav audio', i see "movie player", aka,
"mplayer" and "totem".

in addition, just where did you get "mozplugger"? that is not a mozilla
offered add-on.

hth.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**

Old 08-23-2011, 02:19 AM
Sam Varshavchik

g writes:

On 08/22/2011 08:19 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> g writes:
>
>> On 08/22/2011 02:09 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>> I've got one x86_64 machine with Firefox, and one i386 machine. Both have
>>> totem-mozplugin and mozplugger installed.
>>>
>>> On both machines, aboutlugin shows audio/wav MIME type being handled by
>>> both of them.
>>
>> not place to be looking.
>>
>> from menu bar; "edit > preferences > applications"
>
> That's what I said in my original post.
>
>> you should be able to take it from there.
>>
>> if not, have a look in bottom left corner.
>
> And as I described, Firefox only shows one of the two, as an available
> handler for WAV files.

i read you post and am aware of what you said you had done. what i am not
aware of is if you followed what i meant by my last 2 statements.

so to be more direct, did you press [Help] button?

Yes. That open a Firefox help page. Which provides general instructions for
using that dialog. I know how to use that dialog. The problem is that the
dialog does not list all the available handlers that are installed, and
there's absolutely nothing on that help page that explains why Firefox does
not even offer totem, and/or mozplugger depending on the machine, as one of
the available handlers for audio/wav content.

in addition just what is problem you are having?

I believe I explained it clearly: both totem and mozplugger plugins are
installed, except that on one machine Firefox does not list totem as an
available handler for audio/wav, and on the other machine totem is listed as
one of the options for audio/wav content, but totem is not.

if getting music to play, have you tried enabling "mplayer".

The problem is not enabling one of the available choices. The problem is
that the complete set of choices is not available in the first place.

I don't know how to explain this more clearly. Both totem and mozplugger are
installed. Both are listed in aboutlugins, as offering support for
audio/wav, but when the rubber hits the road, on one machine Firefox refuses
to list totem as a handler for audio/wav content, in preferences, where you
select from the set of available applications that can support a given MIME
content type; and on the other machine totem is listed, but mozplugger is
not.

to bring this portion of your post back in to "play". [pun intended]

>> I note that both machines also have mplayer installed, and in both cases
>> mplayer is also offered as an alternative choice to either mozplugger or
>> totem, for audio/wav. I do not understand why mozplugger and totem are not
>> offered as choices simultaneously, and why it's one on one machine, and
the

>> other on the other machine.

because that is way devs thought it should be, being that you have options
of "always ask" and "use other". if you select "use other", i believe that
will move 'other' into choices.

No. "Use other" opens a file dialog window, to explicitly select some
external application to handle audio/wav.

as for choices in my firefox for 'wav audio', i see "movie player", aka,
"mplayer" and "totem".

That is the case on one machine, but not the other one. Both have totem
installed.

in addition, just where did you get "mozplugger"? that is not a mozilla
offered add-on.

I'm fairly certain it is.

[mrsam@lc2440 ~]$ rpm -q -i mozplugger
Name : mozplugger
Version : 1.14.2
Release : 1.fc15
Architecture: i686
Install Date: Sun 29 May 2011 09:46:08 PM EDT
Group : Applications/Internet
Size : 132676
License : GPLv2+
Signature : RSA/SHA256, Fri 11 Feb 2011 03:35:45 PM EST, Key ID
b4ebf579069c8460

Source RPM : mozplugger-1.14.2-1.fc15.src.rpm
Build Date : Wed 29 Sep 2010 06:23:06 AM EDT
Build Host : x86-14.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager : Fedora Project
Vendor : Fedora Project
Description :
MozPlugger is a generic Mozilla plug-in that allows the use of standard Linux
programs as plug-ins for media types on the Internet.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 AM

On 08/23/2011 02:19 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> g writes:
<>

> I believe I explained it clearly: both totem and mozplugger plugins are
> installed, except that on one machine Firefox does not list totem as an
> available handler for audio/wav, and on the other machine totem is listed as
> one of the options for audio/wav content, but totem is not.

this is where you will have to select totem if it is not shown by using
"use other" in selection window. see below.

> The problem is not enabling one of the available choices. The problem is
> that the complete set of choices is not available in the first place.

it may not be a "complete" choice.

on system that has both;

what happens if you select totem to play wav files?

what happens if you select mozplugger to play wav files?

when window opens to play file, what program name is shown in window title?

> No. "Use other" opens a file dialog window, to explicitly select some
> external application to handle audio/wav.

and that is how you enable 'totem'.

totem is a 'plugin' it is actually located under;

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

> That is the case on one machine, but not the other one. Both have totem
> installed.

ok. presuming that you do in fact have what you believe you do, you can
verify that you have all of what you should have.

look in your firefox profile directory and open "pluginreg.dat" with text
editor to see if what it claims is used is shown in what locate finds.

run a find for 'totem'.

use "locate totem|less" to see what you have under lib files.

mozplugger is not available for this linux install and at this time i
do not see need to compile source for it.

i have looked at;

http://mozplugger.mozdev.org/

from what i read and interpret it, i am not sure, tho it maybe that,
mozplugger may not be in what you should see in 'applications' for wav
files, but what is used to play/view files should be.. i may be in error
of how i understand it.

also, check what is shown in link;

http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger.html

> I'm fairly certain it is.

i stand corrected. i was going by what is available thru firefox add-ons
page. 'mozplugger' is for linux only and would not be listed.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**

Old 08-23-2011, 06:59 AM

On 08/23/2011 06:09 AM, g wrote:
<>

> from what i read and interpret it, i am not sure, tho it maybe that,
> mozplugger may not be in what you should see in 'applications' for wav
> files, but what is used to play/view files should be.. i may be in error
> of how i understand it.

after reading;

> http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger.html

i am tending to believe that mozplugger is what will/should be seen.

not having mozplugger installed on this system, that will be your
verification.

"pulling plug".

later.

--