Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 AM
FNB Mailing Lists

Default X11 apps don't launch on F15 over ssh/vpnc

I have been working on this all weekend and it appears something in
F15 has broken the ability to open an X11 app over ssh/vpnc.* It
works over ssh to another server on the local network, but it fails
when attempting to ssh over a vpnc connection to work.* This worked
fine on F14.* Just to double check I installed vpnc on an old F11 VM
running on an F14 host, vpn'ed to work, opened an ssh connection to
a server, and was able to open gedit.* The failing behaviour is that
the gedit window does not open and the verbose mode of ssh ends with
the line "confirm x11" before terminal window becomes unresponsive.

Putting SELinux in permissive mode does not fix it.* Setting the
segment size to 1200 (one
recommendation) does not fix it.* I installed putty and it
displayed similar behaviour.* The only difference was that hitting
return repeatedly after the command resulted a couple of command
prompts before it froze.* I don't know whether it is the Gnome3, a
bug introduced in F15 or vpnc or some other package.* If someone has
any additional suggestions I would be grateful.* Thank you.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Roberto Ragusa

On 08/22/2011 08:55 AM, FNB Mailing Lists wrote:
> I have been working on this all weekend and it appears something in F15 has broken the ability to open an X11 app over ssh/vpnc. It works over ssh to another server on the local network, but it fails when attempting to ssh over a vpnc connection to work. This worked fine on F14. Just to double check I installed vpnc on an old F11 VM running on an F14 host, vpn'ed to work, opened an ssh connection to a server, and was able to open gedit. The failing behaviour is that the gedit window does not open and the verbose mode of ssh ends with the line "confirm x11" before terminal window becomes unresponsive.
>
> Putting SELinux in permissive mode does not fix it. Setting the segment size to 1200 (one recommendation <http://fixunix.com/x/19398-ssh-x11forwarding-wont-work-please-help.html>) does not fix it. I installed putty and it displayed similar behaviour. The only difference was that hitting return repeatedly after the command resulted a couple of command prompts before it froze. I don't know whether it is the Gnome3, a bug introduced in F15 or vpnc or some other package. If someone has any additional suggestions I would be grateful. Thank you.

Still smells to me like MTU RSS problem.

Try something simpler than gedit, e.g. xlogo, xeyes, xmag.
If you see one of these things working, the finger goes to MTU settings.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM
FNB Mailing Lists

Figured it out.* I was trying to set the MTU size via the iptables
to 1200.* I had previously tried setting INTERNAL_IP4_MTU to 1412 in
the vpnc-script as per a redhat
bug report, but that did not fix it.* However, setting the
value to 1200 resolves the issue.* I will now try values increasing
between 1200 and 1400 and see where it stops failing.* Perhaps one
of the updated packages is eating up more packet space than it used
to.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 AM
FNB Mailing Lists

You were right. It still was an MTU problem. Thank you very much for
the help. The number of side effects caused by network misbehaviour
were numerous and breaking not just X11, but http web requests, fetching
.jars, etc. What a nightmare.