Old 08-22-2011, 01:41 AM
Paul Allen Newell

Default telnet on local LAN question (progress?)

I dug around online and found info regarding mail, port 25, and port
587. Got a little better idea what all this is about and I decided to
try some permuations

Though I didn't get any mail sent, I was able to get a failure message
back which is more info than I've seen before.

In sendmail.mc, I did the following:
+++
dnl #DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
+++

After making and restarting, I fired off an email from chowder
(192.168.2.11) to chalupa (192.168.2.10) and then got the following when
running mail (see below).

Also, telnet chalupa works on port 25 and 587.

The netstat command shows listening on 0.0.0.0:25 and 0.0.0.0:587

/etc/mail/access has 192.168.2 added (and I did try 192.168.2.0/24 in
case it wanted that form).

It appears that mails to self gets blocked if I don't have both the smtp
and submission line active (???).

I have iptables stopped and, given that I've gotten email that the
Linksys router doesn't have any blocking control on LAN communications,
only internet, I've got my router back to normal firewall configuration.

What I am hoping is that someone will spot what the blocking issue is
from the returned email (#2). I've done some looking online but am
currently drawing a blank.

Thanks again for everyone's help,
Paul

ps: the original message in the email was a line of "+++", a cut-n-paste
of the mail command, and a closing "+++"

+++ running mail +++
[paul@chowder ~]$ mail
Heirloom Mail version 12.5 7/5/10. Type ? for help.
"/var/spool/mail/paul": 2 messages
> 1 Paul Allen Newell Sun Aug 21 18:17 24/897 "chowder to
chalupa as"
2 Mail Delivery Subsys Sun Aug 21 18:17 73/2566 "Returned mail:
see tr"
& 1
Message 1: