FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Martín Marqués
 
Default emacs won't start unless I speciffy font

I'm trying to start emacs on a fresh F15 install and I get this:


$ emacs
Font `8x13' is not defined

The only posible thing I found is to use --font to specify another font.

Any ideas on why this happens?

--
Martín Marqués
select 'martin.marques' || '@' || 'gmail.com'
DBA, Programador, Administrador
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Andras Simon
 
Default emacs won't start unless I speciffy font

2011/8/22, Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:
> I'm trying to start emacs on a fresh F15 install and I get this:
>
>
> $ emacs
> Font `8x13' is not defined
>
> The only posible thing I found is to use --font to specify another font.
>
> Any ideas on why this happens?

Perhaps ~/.Xdefaults tries to set the font to a non-existent one?
But if it isn't the proble, it can be the solution: just put the line

Emacs.font: <your font here>

in ~/.Xdefaults. (Unless you restart X, you need to
xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults
for it to have an effect.)

But maybe this is a very 20th century solution.

Andras
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Andrew Haley
 
Default emacs won't start unless I speciffy font

On 08/22/2011 12:57 AM, Martín Marqués wrote:
> I'm trying to start emacs on a fresh F15 install and I get this:
>
>
> $ emacs
> Font `8x13' is not defined
>
> The only posible thing I found is to use --font to specify another font.
>
> Any ideas on why this happens?

You're probably missing the xorg-x11-fonts-misc package

and perhaps ~/.fonts.conf:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<dir>/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc</dir>
<selectfont>
<acceptfont>
<pattern>
<patelt name="family">
<string>fixed</string>
</patelt>
</pattern>
</acceptfont>
</selectfont>
</fontconfig>

Andrew.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Martín Marqués
 
Default emacs won't start unless I speciffy font

2011/8/22 Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com>:
> On 08/22/2011 12:57 AM, Martín Marqués wrote:
>> I'm trying to start emacs on a fresh F15 install and I get this:
>>
>>
>> $ emacs
>> Font `8x13' is not defined
>>
>> The only posible thing I found is to use --font to specify another font.
>>
>> Any ideas on why this happens?
>
> You're probably missing the xorg-x11-fonts-misc package

Thanks alot Andrew!! That fixed it!

One thought: Why isn't xorg-x11-fonts-misc a requirement for emacs, as
it doesn't start without it? Else, emacs default configuration should
change to some font which is installed by default.

Also, the emacs error was quite cryptical. WTF is "Font '8x13' "?

Thanks anyway!

--
Martín Marqués
select 'martin.marques' || '@' || 'gmail.com'
DBA, Programador, Administrador
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Andrew Haley
 
Default emacs won't start unless I speciffy font

On 08/22/2011 12:51 PM, Martín Marqués wrote:
> 2011/8/22 Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com>:
>> On 08/22/2011 12:57 AM, Martín Marqués wrote:
>>> I'm trying to start emacs on a fresh F15 install and I get this:
>>>
>>>
>>> $ emacs
>>> Font `8x13' is not defined
>>>
>>> The only posible thing I found is to use --font to specify another font.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on why this happens?
>>
>> You're probably missing the xorg-x11-fonts-misc package
>
> Thanks alot Andrew!! That fixed it!
>
> One thought: Why isn't xorg-x11-fonts-misc a requirement for emacs, as
> it doesn't start without it?

It probably should be. I suspect that no-one ever expected us to ship
X without the basic fonts.

> Also, the emacs error was quite cryptical. WTF is "Font '8x13' "?

That's your default font...

Do you have a .emacs file?

Andrew.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Alan Cox
 
Default emacs won't start unless I speciffy font

> One thought: Why isn't xorg-x11-fonts-misc a requirement for emacs, as
> it doesn't start without it? Else, emacs default configuration should
> change to some font which is installed by default.

File a bug... it needs the package maintainer to know there is a missing
dependancy.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Martín Marqués
 
Default emacs won't start unless I speciffy font

2011/8/22 Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com>:
> On 08/22/2011 12:51 PM, Martín Marqués wrote:
>>
>> One thought: Why isn't xorg-x11-fonts-misc a requirement for emacs, as
>> it doesn't start without it?
>
> It probably should be. *I suspect that no-one ever expected us to ship
> X without the basic fonts.
>
>> Also, the emacs error was quite cryptical. WTF is "Font '8x13' "?
>
> That's your default font...
>
> Do you have a .emacs file?

Nop. And no .Xdefaults either.

--
Martín Marqués
select 'martin.marques' || '@' || 'gmail.com'
DBA, Programador, Administrador
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Andras Simon
 
Default emacs won't start unless I speciffy font

2011/8/22, Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:

> One thought: Why isn't xorg-x11-fonts-misc a requirement for emacs, as
> it doesn't start without it? Else, emacs default configuration should
> change to some font which is installed by default.

I for one is happy that xorg-x11-fonts-misc is not a requirement
(after all, I'm running emacs without it). Your other suggestion makes
a lot of sense, provided there _is_ a font that's installed by
default.

BTW there are other issues related to this. On a fresh (though
admittedly, quite minimal) F15 install both emacs and icewm had empty
spaces in place of menu items until I installed the appropriate fonts.

Andras
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:38 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org