FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Lars Eighner
 
Default Solved - Console resolutions problems

Surprisingly enough, Fedora 15 will honor the nomodeset flag in the kernel
boot line. With boot to console (multi-user, formerly known as run level 3)
& the splash screen dispensed with, good console comes up.

On startx, Gnome3 complains that I will miss the full wonderfulness and
ecstaay of the Gnome experience. Boo-hoo-hoo! I will try to bear up under
the pain. But actually gnome seems to work fine -- well as fine as a
bloated, moron GUI can work. And the good console is restored on exit from
Gnome.

Now on to the hell of trying to bring up ppp on demand ...


--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html
8800 N IH35 APT 1191 AUSTIN TX 78753-5266

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Marko Vojinovic
 
Default Solved - Console resolutions problems

On Sunday 21 August 2011 22:42:47 Lars Eighner wrote:
> Surprisingly enough, Fedora 15 will honor the nomodeset flag in the kernel
> boot line. With boot to console (multi-user, formerly known as run level
> 3) & the splash screen dispensed with, good console comes up.
>
> On startx, Gnome3 complains that I will miss the full wonderfulness and
> ecstaay of the Gnome experience. Boo-hoo-hoo! I will try to bear up under
> the pain.

You are working without the KMS (ie. the kernel modesetting), since you passed
nomodeset to the kernel. That is the reason why Gnome3 complains, and instead
of the fully accelerated 3D mode, it starts in the unaccelerated fallback
mode, which is what you see.

> But actually gnome seems to work fine -- well as fine as a
> bloated, moron GUI can work.

Oh, but from the fallback mode you really have no proper perspective. You
would need to start Gnome3 in its full-glory 3D mode, if you actually want to
experience what the words "bloated, moron GUI" can really mean. The fallback
mode is absolutely nowhere near the level of bloat of the full thing. ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist... :-D

On a more serious note, as you are seemingly startx-ing on an "sporadically-
need-a-gui" basis, you might be more interested in some more lightweight
desktop environment, or maybe even just a window manager, instead of Gnome.
There are various choices out there...

Best, :-)
Marko

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 AM
Lars Eighner
 
Default Solved - Console resolutions problems

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> Oh, but from the fallback mode you really have no proper perspective. You
> would need to start Gnome3 in its full-glory 3D mode, if you actually want to
> experience what the words "bloated, moron GUI" can really mean. The fallback
> mode is absolutely nowhere near the level of bloat of the full thing. ;-)
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist... :-D
>
> On a more serious note, as you are seemingly startx-ing on an "sporadically-
> need-a-gui" basis, you might be more interested in some more lightweight
> desktop environment, or maybe even just a window manager, instead of Gnome.
> There are various choices out there...

I have already yum'd fvwm. It is not the most lightweight GUI available, but
I like the huge desktop and "everything is configurable." I just wish it
had a prettier clipboard because the athena widgets just suck.



--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html
8800 N IH35 APT 1191 AUSTIN TX 78753-5266

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-22-2011, 02:55 AM
Cameron Simpson
 
Default Solved - Console resolutions problems

On 21Aug2011 20:01, Lars Eighner <topper@larseighner.com> wrote:
| On Sun, 21 Aug 2011, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
| > On a more serious note, as you are seemingly startx-ing on an "sporadically-
| > need-a-gui" basis, you might be more interested in some more lightweight
| > desktop environment, or maybe even just a window manager, instead of Gnome.
| > There are various choices out there...
|
| I have already yum'd fvwm. It is not the most lightweight GUI available, but
| I like the huge desktop and "everything is configurable." I just wish it
| had a prettier clipboard because the athena widgets just suck.

If you look at www.fvwm.org, check out the screenshots section:

http://www.fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/index.php?num=100

You may find one to your liking as a base layout for you to customise
further.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Gabriel Genellina: See PEP 234 http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0234/
Angus Rodgers:
You've got to love a language whose documentation contains sentences
beginning like this:
"Among its chief virtues are the following four -- no, five -- no,
six -- points: [...]"
from python-list@python.org
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:37 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org