Old 08-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default How to disable teardrop screen?

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:19:57 -0500,
Lars Eighner <topper@larseighner.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately even though I set BOOTUP to verbose, the teardrop screen comes
> up and wipes out the grub resolution and font and also wipes out any VGA
> setting done at boot. Evidently the teardrop represents the trail of tears
> on the quest for an legible console font and resolution.

You can remove the rhgb from the kernel parameters to not get the splash
screen while booting Fedora. But that doesn't stop the change of graphics
mode.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Lars Eighner

Things got better when I reinstalled and discovered I can install F15
on a ext2 partition, and such a partition can actually be created with the
install disc. This enabled me to mount the F15 partition RW in FreeBSD which
has a sane console resolution and font, so I can actually read and edit
the F15 configuration files.

So far I have disabled the grub background and unhidden the grub menu.
Surprisingly enough, grub has a more-or-less acceptable font and resolution.

Unfortunately even though I set BOOTUP to verbose, the teardrop screen comes
up and wipes out the grub resolution and font and also wipes out any VGA
setting done at boot. Evidently the teardrop represents the trail of tears
on the quest for an legible console font and resolution.

So, my issue is how to keep the teardrop screen from coming up, and how to
stop the resetting of the console resolution that accompanies. I have been
through every file in systemd configuration without finding a likely
suspect.

(Meanwhile, busy trying to re-create en_US.iso88591 locale which seems
somehow to have got lost.)

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html

Old 08-21-2011, 04:27 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

Lars Eighner wrote:
> Things got better when I reinstalled and discovered I can install F15
> on a ext2 partition, and such a partition can actually be created with the
> install disc. This enabled me to mount the F15 partition RW in FreeBSD which
> has a sane console resolution and font, so I can actually read and edit
> the F15 configuration files.
>
> So far I have disabled the grub background and unhidden the grub menu.
> Surprisingly enough, grub has a more-or-less acceptable font and resolution.
>
> Unfortunately even though I set BOOTUP to verbose, the teardrop screen comes
> up and wipes out the grub resolution and font and also wipes out any VGA
> setting done at boot. Evidently the teardrop represents the trail of tears
> on the quest for an legible console font and resolution.
>
> So, my issue is how to keep the teardrop screen from coming up, and how to
> stop the resetting of the console resolution that accompanies. I have been
> through every file in systemd configuration without finding a likely
> suspect.

Removing "rhgb" from the kernel command line gets rid of the graphical
boot screen, but the resolution will still change.

As for that, you might try adding "nomodeset" to your kernel command line.

> (Meanwhile, busy trying to re-create en_US.iso88591 locale which seems
> somehow to have got lost.)

-T.C.