Old 08-21-2011, 12:36 AM
james tate

Default howto lock DNS number in /etc/resolv.conf

Fedora 15

How can I lock down DNS nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf , every time I
reboot the DNS is changed ?

Fedora is getting bad DNS numbers from a 2Wire router.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Ed Greshko

On 08/21/2011 08:36 AM, james tate wrote:
> Fedora 15
>
> How can I lock down DNS nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf , every time I
> reboot the DNS is changed ?
>
> Fedora is getting bad DNS numbers from a 2Wire router.

Assuming you are using Gnome....

All you need to do is bring up "network settings" you simply go to IPv4
settings and if you are using DHCP simply select the Method "Automatic
(DHCP) addresses only". This then allows you to manually configure DNS
servers.

The manual way to do it would be to edit the appropriate ifcfg- file to
have....

PEERDNS=no
DNS1=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 08-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:36:55 -0400
james tate wrote:

> How can I lock down DNS nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf , every time I
> reboot the DNS is changed ?

Two ways: Edit the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<whatever>
script for the interface associated with the router providing the
bad info and add the line:

PEERDNS=no

You might have to reboot a couple of times after that to get the
network properly shutdown and restarted with the PEERDNS=no
line in place.

After the reboots, it should be safe to manually edit /etc/resolv.conf
and the contents should remain undisturbed from that point on.

If that doesn't fix it, there is always the big hammer:

Edit /etc/resolv.conf the way you want it, then do:

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

That sets the "immutable" attribute so even root can't modify
the file. (If you ever want to modify it again, you'll need
to do chattr -i first).

P.S. This only works for redhat based distros. The rules to
achieve the same PEERDNS=no effect on other distros vary wildly
(the most wacko being opensuse).

Old 08-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 20:36 -0400, james tate wrote:
> How can I lock down DNS nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf , every time I
> reboot the DNS is changed ?
>
> Fedora is getting bad DNS numbers from a 2Wire router.

And I'll say what the other two haven't said: Why can't you reconfigure
the router properly?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-08-21 at 15:33 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 20:36 -0400, james tate wrote:
> > How can I lock down DNS nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf , every time I
> > reboot the DNS is changed ?
> >
> > Fedora is getting bad DNS numbers from a 2Wire router.
>
> And I'll say what the other two haven't said: Why can't you reconfigure
> the router properly?
----
they answered his question

you pointed out the best solution

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Ed Greshko

Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

>they answered his question
>
>you pointed out the best solution

Maybe. Some ISPs, like my Dad's, supply DSL routers to their clients and don't allow client access.

--
Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-08-21 at 20:08 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
>

> >they answered his question
> >
> >you pointed out the best solution
> >

> Maybe. Some ISPs, like my Dad's, supply DSL routers to their clients and don't allow client access.
----
If that is the case, they will get a LOT of telephone calls when they
supply a DNS server address that is non-functional.
----

> Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail.
----
OK, I'll byte... which tablet did you get?

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Ed Greshko

Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

>OK, I'll byte... which tablet did you get?

Asus transformer. Keep meaning to change that default sig.

--
Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-08-21 at 20:40 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
>
> >OK, I'll byte... which tablet did you get?
> >

> Asus transformer. Keep meaning to change that default sig.
----
I'm jealous - let me know of your impressions sometime.

Thanks

Craig

believed to be clean.

Sun Aug 21 16:30:01 2011