FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Lars Eighner
 
Default Mistakes & Lies F15

1) From Googling I am given to understand I can boot to a console by setting
the run level in /etc/inittab. This seems to be a mistake, for the file
itself says nothing in it will have any effect.

2) But the file goes on to say run level 3 can be acheived by creating a
symbolic link to multi-user.target. This is a lie. First of course you have
to remove the old link, but once you do and create the link suggested in
/etc/inittab, there is no effect whatsoever and you will still boot into the
dreaded Gnome 3 GUI (I hear Linus won't use Gnome or KDE. Prehaps he's as
crazy as I am.)

3) man setfont says that the alert kernel will automagically adjust at least
the line height and possibly the columns if you select a larger font. This
seems to be completely untrue. In fact, setfont seems to have no effect at
all, not even changing a font of the same size.

4) resizeconsole promises to adjust the console, but complains it does not
have the proper 'videomode' file for 80x25. There is no hint of where
the acceptable 'videomode' files might be. Using the -lines switch, it
will reduce the number of lines to 25, but won't change the columns and
won't get out of the hidious teeny tiny default console font. It just writes
the first 25 lines to each screen at the same height, leaving half the
screen blank.

5) attempting to set vga=<anything> in grub leads to a blank screen and an
unresponsive keyboard.

Does anyone know how to boot into an 80x25 console?


(Previously:

yes, yum will install wvdial, which is not installed with the GUI install,
but as I have mentioned, yum will not run unless the fedora and update repos
are disabled because (says yum) their .xml files do not have section
headings. If you disable those repos, you do not have to enable explicitly
/usr/repo. )


--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html
8800 N IH35 APT 1191 AUSTIN TX 78753-5266

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Andras Simon
 
Default Mistakes & Lies F15

2011/8/20, Lars Eighner <topper@larseighner.com>:
[...]
>
> (Previously:
>
> yes, yum will install wvdial, which is not installed with the GUI install,

It is, if you want it to be.

> but as I have mentioned, yum will not run unless the fedora and update repos
> are disabled because (says yum) their .xml files do not have section
> headings. If you disable those repos, you do not have to enable explicitly
> /usr/repo. )

No such problem here.

Andras
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-20-2011, 08:54 AM
jarmo
 
Default Mistakes & Lies F15

Lars Eighner kirjoitti lauantai, 20. elokuuta 2011 10:56:37:
> 1) From Googling I am given to understand I can boot to a console
by
> setting the run level in /etc/inittab. This seems to be a mistake, for
the
> file itself says nothing in it will have any effect.
>
> 2) But the file goes on to say run level 3 can be acheived by
creating a
> symbolic link to multi-user.target. This is a lie. First of course you
> have to remove the old link, but once you do and create the link
suggested
> in /etc/inittab, there is no effect whatsoever and you will still boot
> into the dreaded Gnome 3 GUI (I hear Linus won't use Gnome or
KDE. Prehaps
> he's as crazy as I am.)

Works here, I boot first to runlevel 3. Did just as adviced in inittab...
Look for operator mistakes
There is loud a much persons, who boots first into rl. 3.

Jarmo
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Markku Kolkka
 
Default Mistakes & Lies F15

Lars Eighner kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika lauantai, 20.
elokuuta 2011):
> 1) From Googling I am given to understand I can boot to a
> console by setting the run level in /etc/inittab. This seems
> to be a mistake, for the file itself says nothing in it will
> have any effect.

It was true in F14 and before, but not in F15 which adopted a
completely different start-up system. Did you check that your
Google results were about F15 and not earlier Fedora versions?

--
Markku Kolkka
markku.kolkka@iki.fi
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Craig White
 
Default Mistakes & Lies F15

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 02:56 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
> 1) From Googling I am given to understand I can boot to a console by setting
> the run level in /etc/inittab. This seems to be a mistake, for the file
> itself says nothing in it will have any effect.
----
had you bothered to read the release notes, you would have been informed
that Fedora 15 uses the new systemd and not sysv and thus inittab is
essentially useless.
----
>
> 2) But the file goes on to say run level 3 can be acheived by creating a
> symbolic link to multi-user.target. This is a lie. First of course you have
> to remove the old link, but once you do and create the link suggested in
> /etc/inittab, there is no effect whatsoever and you will still boot into the
> dreaded Gnome 3 GUI (I hear Linus won't use Gnome or KDE. Prehaps he's as
> crazy as I am.)
----
Nothing crazy - see my note under #1
----
> (Previously:
>
> yes, yum will install wvdial, which is not installed with the GUI install,
> but as I have mentioned, yum will not run unless the fedora and update repos
> are disabled because (says yum) their .xml files do not have section
> headings. If you disable those repos, you do not have to enable explicitly
> /usr/repo. )
----
I would suggest that you install mrepo (rpmfusion) if you want to
install from a local repo but you can always just use 'createrepo' to
properly create one for you.

That said, I wouldn't suggest Fedora for someone who is seriously
bandwidth challenged because of the release early and often philosophy
which means that from the initial release, many updates and bug fixes
will come out making the initial release somewhat difficult to use
without the ability to run updates.

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default Mistakes & Lies F15

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 2:56 AM, Lars Eighner <topper@larseighner.com> wrote:
> 5) attempting to set vga=<anything> in grub leads to a blank screen and an
> unresponsive keyboard.

I'm not sure what the problem is here but vga=ask does work, I just
tried it as I've been meaning to tweak my virtual terminal resolution
for a while but been to lazy.

Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Craig White
 
Default Mistakes & Lies F15

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 02:56 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:

> 4) resizeconsole promises to adjust the console, but complains it does not
> have the proper 'videomode' file for 80x25. There is no hint of where
> the acceptable 'videomode' files might be. Using the -lines switch, it
> will reduce the number of lines to 25, but won't change the columns and
> won't get out of the hidious teeny tiny default console font. It just writes
> the first 25 lines to each screen at the same height, leaving half the
> screen blank.
>
> 5) attempting to set vga=<anything> in grub leads to a blank screen and an
> unresponsive keyboard.
----
Perhaps you have some setup that defeats automatic detection of the
available modes.

are you following this?

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

you might need to convert those to decimal, sort of as conveyed here...

http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/linux/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Vesafb-5.html

but in general, you should just let the software detect as this tends to
be a bit heavy handed.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Fedora though. This is probably
going to happen with any recent version of xorg/linux.

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Reindl Harald
 
Default Mistakes & Lies F15

Am 20.08.2011 09:56, schrieb Lars Eighner:
> 1) From Googling I am given to understand I can boot to a console by setting
> the run level in /etc/inittab. This seems to be a mistake, for the file
> itself says nothing in it will have any effect.

your only problem in this case is that you are unable to read
or open your eyes if you edit a config-file, what google
says does not matter as long at the begin of the file is
a comment that is no longer used

i hate the way too soon release of systemd really but what
you are doing here is braindead rant!

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/inittab
# inittab is no longer used when using systemd.
#
# ADDING CONFIGURATION HERE WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON YOUR SYSTEM.
#
# Ctrl-Alt-Delete is handled by /etc/systemd/system/ctrl-alt-del.target
#
# systemd uses 'targets' instead of runlevels. By default, there are two main targets:
#
# multi-user.target: analogous to runlevel 3
# graphical.target: analogous to runlevel 5
#
# To set a default target, run:


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Lars Eighner
 
Default Mistakes & Lies F15

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Craig White wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 02:56 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
>
>> 4) resizeconsole promises to adjust the console, but complains it does not
>> have the proper 'videomode' file for 80x25. There is no hint of where
>> the acceptable 'videomode' files might be. Using the -lines switch, it
>> will reduce the number of lines to 25, but won't change the columns and
>> won't get out of the hidious teeny tiny default console font. It just writes
>> the first 25 lines to each screen at the same height, leaving half the
>> screen blank.
>>
>> 5) attempting to set vga=<anything> in grub leads to a blank screen and an
>> unresponsive keyboard.
> ----
> Perhaps you have some setup that defeats automatic detection of the
> available modes.
>
> are you following this?
>
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

This seems to be about graphics modes, not text modes.

>
> you might need to convert those to decimal, sort of as conveyed here...
>
> http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/linux/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Vesafb-5.html

Ditto.

>
> but in general, you should just let the software detect as this tends to
> be a bit heavy handed.
>
> I'm not sure what this has to do with Fedora though. This is probably
> going to happen with any recent version of xorg/linux.


I'm asking about setting text modes in a virtual console (aka virtual
terminal) - not about running a terminal in xorg. Xorg is not an operating
system -- it has nothing to do with what I am trying to do. I want to run
command line applications at the command line, not in an Xterm. I want to be
in text mode: 80 columns, 25 lines, 16 color, using a VGA font -- I don't
want something drawing a picture sort of like that in graphics mode.

Vesa is for sort of drawing a picture of what it thinks text mode might look
like -- if text mode was tiny, illegible, and all et up with unicode. Vesa
is not VGA. There has never been a graphics font that can put 4000
characters (80x25) on a screen legibly, which is what VGA can do.




>
> Craig
>
>
>

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html
8800 N IH35 APT 1191 AUSTIN TX 78753-5266

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Alan Cox
 
Default Mistakes & Lies F15

> Vesa is for sort of drawing a picture of what it thinks text mode might look
> like -- if text mode was tiny, illegible, and all et up with unicode. Vesa
> is not VGA. There has never been a graphics font that can put 4000
> characters (80x25) on a screen legibly, which is what VGA can do.

Sorry that's false on several grounds

1. There are VGA fonts that are exact copies of the old VGA hardware font

2. Several framebuffers actually are bitmapped and graphics mode and fake
the VGA text mode by rendering pixels behind the back of the OS, You
couldn't tell them apart.

3. Although the Linux kernel framebuffers don't do this you can do
anti-aliasing which gives a smoother and better looking display, at least
in the eyes of the majority of people.

4. The DEC VT220 font was better than the VGA font for this anyway 8)

Alan
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org