-   -   Progress and advice so far (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/566193-progress-advice-so-far.html)

Lars Eighner 08-20-2011 04:56 AM

Progress and advice so far

Only making slight progress so far, but here are some hints for others who
may come my way:

1) As soon as you get to a command prompt run updatedb. Evidently linux does
not have which and apropos is not extremely helpful. An example of why you
need locate: apparently the console fonts are in a (sub)directory called
kbd. You'd pass over that a hundred times before you would think of looking
for fonts in there.

2) Since I am on dialup and big giant distribution files (hi, qt!) are in
vogue, I sprang for the repo discs. This turns out to be a good value but
there are scary moments.

a) Yum wouldn't install from /usr/repo even with --enablerepo=/usr/repo, but
the reason turns out to be that it hates the repomd.xml files from the
origianal fedora install. You also have to disable them, then yum works
like a charm.

b) This is really so neat, the discs might be worth it even if you have a
moderate to high speed connection. Disc space is cheap these days.

3) Grub is really easy to edit for dual boot (at least if your other boot is
FreeBSD whose own boot load will pick up the ball and run with.

Still have not got to the modem, but I have change the LANG variable,
console font, and text mode resolution before I go blind. Unicode is of the
devil.

I'm used to using lynx with all the options compiled in as a file manager,
and in the distance is the problem of getting source code and compiling lynx
again to replace the packaged version.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html

Joe Zeff 08-20-2011 05:23 AM

Progress and advice so far

On 08/19/2011 09:56 PM, Lars Eighner wrote:
> Evidently linux does
> not have which and apropos is not extremely helpful.

Yes it does. Well, *my* computer has it and I don't remember doing
anything special to get it.

Larry Brower 08-20-2011 05:32 AM

Progress and advice so far

"Kevin J. Cummings" 08-20-2011 07:26 AM

Progress and advice so far

On 08/20/2011 01:32 AM, Larry Brower wrote:
> On 08/20/2011 12:23 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 08/19/2011 09:56 PM, Lars Eighner wrote:
>>> Evidently linux does
>>> not have which and apropos is not extremely helpful.
>
>> Yes it does. Well, *my* computer has it and I don't remember doing
>> anything special to get it.
>
> Linux has which by default. The only reason I can think that you may not
> have it is if you did some sort of a minimal install and left a bunch of
> stuff out

In which case a "yum install which" should install it.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net

Tim 08-20-2011 08:16 AM

Progress and advice so far

On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 23:56 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
> 1) As soon as you get to a command prompt run updatedb. Evidently
> linux does not have which and apropos is not extremely helpful.

Updatedb was always run as a CRON job, not immediately after
installations, nor updates. So if you don't want to wait for its
regularly scheduled appearance, manually run it.

I think a language barrier came across in your message. Did you mean
it's also not installing which and apropos commands? Or did you mean
they're not useful until an updatedb has been run?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Lars Eighner 08-20-2011 08:26 AM

Progress and advice so far

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Tim wrote:

> I think a language barrier came across in your message. Did you mean
> it's also not installing which and apropos commands? Or did you mean
> they're not useful until an updatedb has been run?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different
results.

I've done 4 or 5 various installs today, and at least one of them did not
include 'which' - perhaps it was the minimal one. Apropos seemed to work in
all of them but was not very helpful. locate has been the most helpful so
far. If you know part of the name of just one console font, locate will
help you find where the rest of them are, and so forth.

Andras Simon 08-20-2011 08:34 AM

Progress and advice so far

2011/8/20, Lars Eighner <topper@larseighner.com>:

[...]

> I've done 4 or 5 various installs today, and at least one of them did not
> include 'which' - perhaps it was the minimal one. Apropos seemed to work in
> all of them but was not very helpful. locate has been the most helpful so
> far. If you know part of the name of just one console font, locate will
> help you find where the rest of them are, and so forth.

I don't know how you can compare these three. They're meant to do very
different things. (BTW there's also 'find' which you might find
useful.)

Andras

Craig White 08-20-2011 09:58 AM

Progress and advice so far

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 03:26 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Tim wrote:
>
> > I think a language barrier came across in your message. Did you mean
> > it's also not installing which and apropos commands? Or did you mean
> > they're not useful until an updatedb has been run?
>

> Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different
> results.
>
> I've done 4 or 5 various installs today, and at least one of them did not
> include 'which' - perhaps it was the minimal one. Apropos seemed to work in
> all of them but was not very helpful. locate has been the most helpful so
> far. If you know part of the name of just one console font, locate will
> help you find where the rest of them are, and so forth.
----
always great to see someone flail about...

# which which
alias which='alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot
--show-tilde'
/usr/bin/which
# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/which
which-2.19-5.fc12.i686

# yum remove which
<< snip >>
Remove 356 Package(s)

Installed size: 2.1 G
Is this ok [y/N]: n
Exiting on user Command
Complete!

almost impossible to not have installed since just about the whole
system depends upon 'which' package.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Alan Cox 08-20-2011 12:17 PM

Progress and advice so far

> 1) As soon as you get to a command prompt run updatedb. Evidently linux does
> not have which and apropos is not extremely helpful. An example of why you
> need locate: apparently the console fonts are in a (sub)directory called
> kbd. You'd pass over that a hundred times before you would think of looking
> for fonts in there.

"which" is a shell alias in bash rather than a binary somewhere. Anyway
you can always use "find" but yes locate is a good tool.

> a) Yum wouldn't install from /usr/repo even with --enablerepo=/usr/repo, but
> the reason turns out to be that it hates the repomd.xml files from the
> origianal fedora install. You also have to disable them, then yum works
> like a charm.

That seems strange - may be worth digging into it further and filing a
bug.

> Still have not got to the modem, but I have change the LANG variable,
> console font, and text mode resolution before I go blind. Unicode is of the
> devil.

Fedora's defaults are really oriented around using a graphical
framebuffer. You can get ye olde vga text mode if you want to force it
that way, but it's probably not going to be even present in new hardware
at some point.

> I'm used to using lynx with all the options compiled in as a file manager,
> and in the distance is the problem of getting source code and compiling lynx
> again to replace the packaged version.

If you are building your own copy to drop into /usr/local then the usual
tar ball/configure/make/make install ritual applies as with BSD. It is
possible to use the source package and adjust then rebuild but that is
more of an adventure.

PS: I feel for your situation - I spent some of last weekend installing
NetBSD on a vax emulator and it's just different enough to cause head
scratching.

Alan

Michael Schwendt 08-20-2011 03:16 PM

Progress and advice so far

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 02:58:58 -0700, CW (Craig) wrote:

> # rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/which
> which-2.19-5.fc12.i686
>
> # yum remove which
> << snip >>
> Remove 356 Package(s)
>
> Installed size: 2.1 G
> Is this ok [y/N]: n
> Exiting on user Command
> Complete!
>
> almost impossible to not have installed since just about the whole
> system depends upon 'which' package.

Indirectly only. It's not many packages that require which.
On Fedora 15:

$ repoquery --qf %{name} --whatrequires which|uniq
389-console
abcde
akmods
arts