Old 08-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Lars Eighner

Default How to get VGA font in virtual consoles

How do I get virtual consoles to use (always) a plain old VGA text mode
font in 80x25 (charactersXlines) resolution?

I've got my nose against a really big ass high res screen and it is like
the default font is some kind of weird graphics mode thing.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html

Old 08-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Richard Shaw

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Lars Eighner <topper@larseighner.com> wrote:
> How do I get virtual consoles to use (always) a plain old VGA text mode
> font in 80x25 (charactersXlines) resolution?

There may be a better way but reboot and add "vga=ask" to the end of
your kernel line.

This sets the resolution not the columns and lines but you should be
able to find one you like. Once you do edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf
and add the vga=... to your kernel lines. Use the same mode you
selected manually only add 0x (that's a zero) to the front of it,
i.e.:

If you tried 37d (i'm making this up but it could be a real mode) then
you would add "vga=0x37d" to the end of your kernel line.

HTH,

Richard