-   -   Hardware modem (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/566145-hardware-modem.html)

Lars Eighner 08-19-2011 10:37 PM

Hardware modem

My question is about getting Fedora 15 to recognize a hardware modem and
then setting up ppp "on demand" to use it.

I made the mistake of installing Fedora 15 with the GUI. This only told me
that my modem was "unplugged." And I could not figure out how to drop out
of the GUI to a command line terminal. So I overwrote the installation with
"minimal." Now I get a command line prompt (in teeny tiny font). However I
could not find anything helpful (to me) in /dev or /etc/ppp.

I have googled many combinations, but so far all the queries about modems I
have read are about getting winmodems to work. I do not have a winmodem. I
have a 3COM PCI (internal) hardware modem which works flawlessly with
FreeBSD sio (that's the serial io device).

If I can find out how to configure a dialer and authentication, I would like
for ppp "on demand" to work for my only non-root user, which will be me.
Otherwise, I just got a nine piece coaster set for $30 from OSdisc.com.

(PS: I am a 20-year user of FreeBSD.)

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html

Alan Cox 08-19-2011 10:49 PM

Hardware modem

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:37:02 -0500 (CDT)
Lars Eighner <topper@larseighner.com> wrote:

> My question is about getting Fedora 15 to recognize a hardware modem and
> then setting up ppp "on demand" to use it.

I'm pretty sure you can do it with NetworkManager if you are in graphica
mode - by adding a connection and so on but the other way is to set it up
by hand via /etc/ppp which is the same basic ppp setup as BSD use - same
ppp dameon package and so on.

> I made the mistake of installing Fedora 15 with the GUI. This only told me
> that my modem was "unplugged." And I could not figure out how to drop out
> of the GUI to a command line terminal. So I overwrote the installation with

Start a terminal application or hit ctrl-alt-f2/f3/f4/.. for virtual
consoles. Setting the run level to 3 also gets you a more "traditional"
environment where you have to 'startx' to get X services.

If you are used to a more old fashioned X environmen you may find that
adding the XFCE or LXDE group to your mininal install gives you a desktop
environment which is rather more friendly to the 'I'll just start a
shell' universe.

Alan

"T.C. Hollingsworth" 08-19-2011 11:04 PM

Hardware modem

Lars Eighner wrote:
> My question is about getting Fedora 15 to recognize a hardware modem and
> then setting up ppp "on demand" to use it.
>
> I made the mistake of installing Fedora 15 with the GUI. This only told me
> that my modem was "unplugged." And I could not figure out how to drop out
> of the GUI to a command line terminal. So I overwrote the installation with
> "minimal." Now I get a command line prompt (in teeny tiny font). However I
> could not find anything helpful (to me) in /dev or /etc/ppp.
>
> I have googled many combinations, but so far all the queries about modems I
> have read are about getting winmodems to work. I do not have a winmodem. I
> have a 3COM PCI (internal) hardware modem which works flawlessly with
> FreeBSD sio (that's the serial io device).
>
> If I can find out how to configure a dialer and authentication, I would like
> for ppp "on demand" to work for my only non-root user, which will be me.
> Otherwise, I just got a nine piece coaster set for $30 from OSdisc.com.
>
> (PS: I am a 20-year user of FreeBSD.)

Personally, I find wvdial to be the easiest way to configure and dial
modems from the command line in Linux. It's usually installed in
default Fedora configurations (but possibly not the minimal one). If
it's not installed you may run "yum install wvdial" to download and
install it via the Internet or alternatively locate and install it from
the install DVD.

To get started with wvdial, run the "wvdialconf" command as root. That
will detect your modem and create a basic configuration file in
/etc/wvdial.conf with the discovered settings. You can then edit that
file and provide configuration options such as the telephone number to
dial, username/password, etc. For a complete description of the syntax
amd options available therein, just run "man wvdial.conf".

Once you've configured it properly, just run "wvdial" to establish a
connection. By default, you must be root to do this. To permit any
arbitrary user account to run wvdial and establish a PPP connection,
just add that user to the "dip" group. For instance, to add a user
account named "lars", just run "usermod -aG dip lars".

-T.C.

Lars Eighner 08-19-2011 11:06 PM

Hardware modem

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:37:02 -0500 (CDT)
> Lars Eighner <topper@larseighner.com> wrote:
>
>> My question is about getting Fedora 15 to recognize a hardware modem and
>> then setting up ppp "on demand" to use it.
>
> I'm pretty sure you can do it with NetworkManager if you are in graphica
> mode - by adding a connection and so on but the other way is to set it up
> by hand via /etc/ppp which is the same basic ppp setup as BSD use - same
> ppp dameon package and so on.

Okay, I am finding some useful stuff in "Development Guide" -- which seems
odd since I am not a developer. Haven't found the dialer yet. This is
especially difficult because BSD can't mount ext4 and I cannot read online
documentation in Fedora.

>> I made the mistake of installing Fedora 15 with the GUI. This only told me
>> that my modem was "unplugged." And I could not figure out how to drop out
>> of the GUI to a command line terminal. So I overwrote the installation with
>
> Start a terminal application or hit ctrl-alt-f2/f3/f4/.. for virtual
> consoles. Setting the run level to 3 also gets you a more "traditional"
> environment where you have to 'startx' to get X services.
>
> If you are used to a more old fashioned X environmen you may find that
> adding the XFCE or LXDE group to your mininal install gives you a desktop
> environment which is rather more friendly to the 'I'll just start a
> shell' universe.

I'm aiming for fvwm2, which is the most GUI I can stand.

Alan Cox 08-19-2011 11:19 PM

Hardware modem

> > If you are used to a more old fashioned X environmen you may find that
> > adding the XFCE or LXDE group to your mininal install gives you a desktop
> > environment which is rather more friendly to the 'I'll just start a
> > shell' universe.
>
> I'm aiming for fvwm2, which is the most GUI I can stand.

The X packages also include twm, which Keith Packard still seems to look
after and even has versions with translucent menus !

Andre Robatino 08-19-2011 11:45 PM

Hardware modem

T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Personally, I find wvdial to be the easiest way to configure and dial
> modems from the command line in Linux. It's usually installed in
> default Fedora configurations (but possibly not the minimal one). If
> it's not installed you may run "yum install wvdial" to download and
> install it via the Internet or alternatively locate and install it from
> the install DVD.

It's not installed by default, but it is on the F15 install DVD, and can be
gotten by customizing packages during installation. I don't know if it's
included in a live image install.

Antonio Olivares 08-20-2011 01:31 AM

Hardware modem

[...]

----- End of Original Message -----

Lars,

You may use wvdial :)

Become root user
$ su -
passwd:
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

it will scan for a modem.* Hopefully it finds one, like /dev/ttyS0, or /dev/ttySX where X, 0..4 or similar.
Edit this file was root user with your favorite editor, add username, password, ISP phone number and a line "Carrier Check = no", you might need to add "Stupid Mode = yes", in case you cannot connect.* Then after editing & saving the file.* Try to connect to your ISP
# wvdial

if you get a connection, to disconnect you use CTRL + C;

if you can connect, but cannot browse add the nameservers that you get when you seem to get connected to /etc/resolv.conf and you should be able to surf the web.* Let me know if you need more help :)

Regards,

Antonio

P.S.* I am an on/off FreeBSD user since FreeBSD 5.3, along with Fedora :)*