Old 08-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Alex

Default Fedora15 with kvm and spice

Hi,
I have a win7 x86_64 kvm image I created on a fc14 machine that I've
now transferred to a new fc15 machine. I'd like to use the new spice
system to improve video performance. I've searched quite a bit, but
most references seem to be very dated or incomplete.

Is there any documentation on how to properly configure fc15 to use
this? Is spice similar to VNC, in that it provides the remote
emulation and screen updates?

Is there something that needs to be done to modify qemu to work with spice?

I'm currently using the "vga" driver and performance is just horrible.
What is the proper way to get more reasonable video performance on a
win7 guest?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

Old 08-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a win7 x86_64 kvm image I created on a fc14 machine that I've
> now transferred to a new fc15 machine. I'd like to use the new spice
> system to improve video performance. I've searched quite a bit, but
> most references seem to be very dated or incomplete.
>
> Is there any documentation on how to properly configure fc15 to use
> this? Is spice similar to VNC, in that it provides the remote
> emulation and screen updates?
>
> Is there something that needs to be done to modify qemu to work with spice?
>
> I'm currently using the "vga" driver and performance is just horrible.
> What is the proper way to get more reasonable video performance on a
> win7 guest?
>
> Any ideas greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Alex

Hello,

In-order to use spice, you'll have to use the "-vga qxl" and -spice
port=PORT,SECURITY switches and install the qxl drivers on your guest.
On the host / network side, in-order to connect to the guest, you'll
have to install the spice client, and run: spicec -h KVM-host -p PORT.

However, trying to find signed qxl drivers for Windows is problematic
- especially if you plan to use 64bit Windows.
(I simply resigned to using F8->disable driver signing enforcement
when I boot the VM).

- Gilboa

Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Alex

Hi,

>> I have a win7 x86_64 kvm image I created on a fc14 machine that I've
>> now transferred to a new fc15 machine. I'd like to use the new spice
>> system to improve video performance. I've searched quite a bit, but
>> most references seem to be very dated or incomplete.
>>
>> Is there any documentation on how to properly configure fc15 to use
>> this? Is spice similar to VNC, in that it provides the remote
>> emulation and screen updates?
>>
>> Is there something that needs to be done to modify qemu to work with spice?
>>
>> I'm currently using the "vga" driver and performance is just horrible.
>> What is the proper way to get more reasonable video performance on a
>> win7 guest?

> Hello,
>
> In-order to use spice, you'll have to use the "-vga qxl" and -spice
> port=PORT,SECURITY switches and install the qxl drivers on your guest.
> On the host / network side, in-order to connect to the guest, you'll
> have to install the spice client, and run: spicec -h KVM-host -p PORT.
>
> However, trying to find signed qxl drivers for Windows is problematic
> - especially if you plan to use 64bit Windows.
> (I simply resigned to using F8->disable driver signing enforcement
> when I boot the VM).

So it sounds like it's not officially a part of f15?

These changes are made by hacking the init script directly?

This is an older post that I used to skip the enforcement
restrictions. Will this work for the qxl drivers?

http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/redhat-54-windows-virtio-drivers-part-2-block-drivers

Thanks,
Alex

Old 08-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Neal Becker

Gilboa Davara wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I have a win7 x86_64 kvm image I created on a fc14 machine that I've
>> now transferred to a new fc15 machine. I'd like to use the new spice
>> system to improve video performance. I've searched quite a bit, but
>> most references seem to be very dated or incomplete.
>>
>> Is there any documentation on how to properly configure fc15 to use
>> this? Is spice similar to VNC, in that it provides the remote
>> emulation and screen updates?
>>
>> Is there something that needs to be done to modify qemu to work with spice?
>>
>> I'm currently using the "vga" driver and performance is just horrible.
>> What is the proper way to get more reasonable video performance on a
>> win7 guest?
>>
>> Any ideas greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>
> Hello,
>
> In-order to use spice, you'll have to use the "-vga qxl" and -spice
> port=PORT,SECURITY switches and install the qxl drivers on your guest.
> On the host / network side, in-order to connect to the guest, you'll
> have to install the spice client, and run: spicec -h KVM-host -p PORT.
>
> However, trying to find signed qxl drivers for Windows is problematic
> - especially if you plan to use 64bit Windows.
> (I simply resigned to using F8->disable driver signing enforcement
> when I boot the VM).
>
> - Gilboa

I tried to install windows drivers into XP, but the install fails.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> I have a win7 x86_64 kvm image I created on a fc14 machine that I've
>>> now transferred to a new fc15 machine. I'd like to use the new spice
>>> system to improve video performance. I've searched quite a bit, but
>>> most references seem to be very dated or incomplete.
>>>
>>> Is there any documentation on how to properly configure fc15 to use
>>> this? Is spice similar to VNC, in that it provides the remote
>>> emulation and screen updates?
>>>
>>> Is there something that needs to be done to modify qemu to work with spice?
>>>
>>> I'm currently using the "vga" driver and performance is just horrible.
>>> What is the proper way to get more reasonable video performance on a
>>> win7 guest?
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> In-order to use spice, you'll have to use the "-vga qxl" and -spice
>> port=PORT,SECURITY switches and install the qxl drivers on your guest.
>> On the host / network side, in-order to connect to the guest, you'll
>> have to install the spice client, and run: spicec -h KVM-host -p PORT.
>>
>> However, trying to find signed qxl drivers for Windows is problematic
>> - especially if you plan to use 64bit Windows.
>> (I simply resigned to using F8->disable driver signing enforcement
>> when I boot the VM).
>
> So it sounds like it's not officially a part of f15?
> These changes are made by hacking the init script directly?

No, no.
qemu-kvm w/ spice/qxl support are part of Fedora.
No need to change anything in the *host* to enable it.
You will need to change the *guest* configuration.

> This is an older post that I used to skip the enforcement
> restrictions. Will this work for the qxl drivers?
>
> http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/redhat-54-windows-virtio-drivers-part-2-block-drivers

It will only work on old(er) version of Windows.
Newer version of Windows (mostly 64bit release) enforce signed driver
installation.

- Gilboa

Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> In-order to use spice, you'll have to use the "-vga qxl" and -spice
>> port=PORT,SECURITY switches and install the qxl drivers on your guest.
>> On the host / network side, in-order to connect to the guest, you'll
>> have to install the spice client, and run: spicec -h KVM-host -p PORT.
>>
>> However, trying to find signed qxl drivers for Windows is problematic
>> - especially if you plan to use 64bit Windows.
>> (I simply resigned to using F8->disable driver signing enforcement
>> when I boot the VM).
>>
>> - Gilboa
>
> I tried to install windows drivers into XP, but the install fails.

I somehow managed to find Windows XP (and Windows 7) drivers that had
the same version number as the SPICE protocol used on the host.
Sadly enough, I can't seem to locate them now.

In general, I would imagine that the best course of action will be to
build and self-sign the drivers yourself (the qemu-kvm site includes a
step-by-step howto), but as I have yet to do it myself, YMMV.

- Gilboa

Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 PM
"Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"

>> Is there any documentation on how to properly configure fc15 to use
>> this? Is spice similar to VNC, in that it provides the remote
>> emulation and screen updates?
>>
>> Is there something that needs to be done to modify qemu to work with spice?
>>
>> I'm currently using the "vga" driver and performance is just horrible.
>> What is the proper way to get more reasonable video performance on a
>> win7 guest?
>>
>> Any ideas greatly appreciated.

I have a couple of F15 desktops running Windows XP guests. I start them
using root cron:

@reboot sleep 30; /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -hda
/var/lib/libvirt/images/MikeWindows.img -usbdevice tablet -m 2048 -k
en-us -vga qxl -spice port=5930,disable-ticketing &

I found this was simpler than relying on virt-manager, especially when
you want to move images to new machines.

Spice is a dramatic improvement over the older vnc-based methods. I love
it...

- Mike

Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Alex

Hi,

> I have a couple of F15 desktops running Windows XP guests. I start them
> using root cron:
>
> @reboot sleep 30; /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -hda
> /var/lib/libvirt/images/MikeWindows.img -usbdevice tablet -m 2048 -k
> en-us -vga qxl -spice port=5930,disable-ticketing &
>
> I found this was simpler than relying on virt-manager, especially when
> you want to move images to new machines.
>
> Spice is a dramatic improvement over the older vnc-based methods. I love
> it...

Do proper video drivers exist for win7 64-bit? Where?

These options aren't available through virt-manager?

Can you confirm these are the instructions to use for the windows spice client:

http://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=Fedora_15&p=kvm&f=9

Thanks,
Alex