FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
"Mark C. Allman"
 
Default Gnome/X window open delay question

I use my laptop (Dell XPS 1710, running F8) at different sites, hooking
in to various networks. So, for example:
1. I'll boot my laptop at home and connect to my wireless network
there, then hibernate when I pack up to head to a client site.
2. I'll resume at a client site, bring up (for example) a wireless
connection, and resume working.

When I open an app like gedit, if I'm on the network where I booted the
system then the window opens right away, but if I'm using another
network the window opens but takes about 25 to 30 seconds. DISPLAY is
set to ":0.0."

It sounds like a timeout issue. Can anyone shed some light on how to
track this down?

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution




--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Mike Chambers
 
Default Gnome/X window open delay question

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 11:39 -0500, Mark C. Allman wrote:
> I use my laptop (Dell XPS 1710, running F8) at different sites, hooking
> in to various networks. So, for example:
> 1. I'll boot my laptop at home and connect to my wireless network
> there, then hibernate when I pack up to head to a client site.
> 2. I'll resume at a client site, bring up (for example) a wireless
> connection, and resume working.
>
> When I open an app like gedit, if I'm on the network where I booted the
> system then the window opens right away, but if I'm using another
> network the window opens but takes about 25 to 30 seconds. DISPLAY is
> set to ":0.0."

DNS issue maybe going from one network to another? Maybe slow
initially, then faster as it caches or gets rid of the older cached dns
stuff and takes on new updated one? Is network stuff slow, such as a
ping or anything initially as well?


--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
"Mark C. Allman"
 
Default Gnome/X window open delay question

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 10:53 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 11:39 -0500, Mark C. Allman wrote:
> > I use my laptop (Dell XPS 1710, running F8) at different sites, hooking
> > in to various networks. So, for example:
> > 1. I'll boot my laptop at home and connect to my wireless network
> > there, then hibernate when I pack up to head to a client site.
> > 2. I'll resume at a client site, bring up (for example) a wireless
> > connection, and resume working.
> >
> > When I open an app like gedit, if I'm on the network where I booted the
> > system then the window opens right away, but if I'm using another
> > network the window opens but takes about 25 to 30 seconds. DISPLAY is
> > set to ":0.0."
>
> DNS issue maybe going from one network to another? Maybe slow
> initially, then faster as it caches or gets rid of the older cached dns
> stuff and takes on new updated one? Is network stuff slow, such as a
> ping or anything initially as well?
>
>
> --
> Mike Chambers
> Madisonville, KY
>
> "The best lil town on Earth!"
>
I always experience the delay when working at a different site than where I
booted up. If, say, I started up my system at home, then when I return home
it'll work like a charm again and when I'm at another location the windows
will open but with a delay. The network connections work just fine--no delays
at any location.

I'm just looking for suggestions on what to dig into.


-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution




--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Phil Meyer
 
Default Gnome/X window open delay question

Mark C. Allman wrote:

I use my laptop (Dell XPS 1710, running F8) at different sites, hooking
in to various networks. So, for example:
1. I'll boot my laptop at home and connect to my wireless network
there, then hibernate when I pack up to head to a client site.
2. I'll resume at a client site, bring up (for example) a wireless
connection, and resume working.

When I open an app like gedit, if I'm on the network where I booted the
system then the window opens right away, but if I'm using another
network the window opens but takes about 25 to 30 seconds. DISPLAY is
set to ":0.0."


It sounds like a timeout issue. Can anyone shed some light on how to
track this down?

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution







Very like a 'services' issue, such as:

Quota check on a non available file system:
PATH check on a non available file system
Font check on a non existent font server

Any number of 'personalized' options that run great at one site will
need to time out at another site, because that service is simply not there.


I would examine your profile, and services used at 'home' compared to
what is available or not available elsewhere.


For instance, my wife leaves 'shares' mounted at work and at home that
don't exist at the other site. This causes things to open slowly for
her the first attempt, but after that initial time out, all is good.


Good luck!

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Todd Zullinger
 
Default Gnome/X window open delay question

Mark C. Allman wrote:
> I always experience the delay when working at a different site than
> where I booted up. If, say, I started up my system at home, then
> when I return home it'll work like a charm again and when I'm at
> another location the windows will open but with a delay. The
> network connections work just fine--no delays at any location.
>
> I'm just looking for suggestions on what to dig into.

I've seen delays like this in gnome when gnome could not determine my
hostname and ip properly. I've inflicted this on myself a few times
by hard coding my hostname and ip in /etc/hosts and then gone to a
different network where my ip had changed.

--
Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If quitters never win, and winners never quit, then who is the fool
who said "Quit while you're ahead?"

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org