Old 08-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Michael Hennebry

Default networking from the command line

How do I turn on networking from the command line?
When I do a minimal install, Fedora 14 won't turn on networking for me.
eth0 never gets an IP address.
Where is the on-switch?
Nothing I've tried gets the job done.
In particular, ifconfig eth0 up does not produce an IP address.

In this case, Fedora 14 is a guest on a VirtualBox.
If I install the rather large graphical desktop,
networking works after I click on its toolbar icon,
so I expect the issue is not specfic to VirtualBox.
>From a thread I started earlier,
one might get the opposite impression.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu