Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Ian Pilcher

Default Enable coredump for daemon (oidentd)

oidentd is crashing on me intermittently. I have done the folowing to
try to get a core dump when this happens:

* Add "DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT=unlimited" to /etc/sysconfig/oidentd
* Add "kernel.core_pattern = /tmp/core" to /etc/sysctl.conf

("kernel.core_uses_pid = 1" was already set.)

Despite this, there is no file named /tmp/core* after the daemon
crashes.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Ian Pilcher

On 08/16/2011 11:58 AM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> oidentd is crashing on me intermittently. I have done the folowing to
> try to get a core dump when this happens:
>
> * Add "DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT=unlimited" to /etc/sysconfig/oidentd
> * Add "kernel.core_pattern = /tmp/core" to /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> ("kernel.core_uses_pid = 1" was already set.)
>
> Despite this, there is no file named /tmp/core* after the daemon
> crashes.
>
> What am I missing?

I have also removed abrt for good measure.
/proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern is back to /tmp/core, but I still don't
get anything in /tmp/core* when I kill the oidentd process with a
SIGSEGV.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 11:58 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Despite this, there is no file named /tmp/core* after the daemon
> crashes.
>
> What am I missing?

Wild guess: Is /tmp a tmpfs instead of just space on the hard drive?
And, is there enough RAM to hold the size of the core dump?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Ian Pilcher

On 08/17/2011 08:44 AM, Tim wrote:
> Wild guess: Is /tmp a tmpfs instead of just space on the hard drive?
> And, is there enough RAM to hold the size of the core dump?

Good thought. The system has 16GB, so I wouldn't expect that to be the
case but who knows ...

I changed /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern to point a "real" file and am
getting the same result -- no core file produced when I send a SIGSEGV
to the daemon.

Talk about frustrating ...