Old 08-16-2011, 05:11 AM
Michael Hennebry

Default networking vs. VirtualBox

What is the magic formula for doing networking
from a VirtualBox guest?
So far, the only way I've been able to make it work at all is
to install a graphical version and click on the networking icon.
That doesn't work if I do a minimal install.
What does?

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Craig White

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 00:11 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> What is the magic formula for doing networking
> from a VirtualBox guest?
> So far, the only way I've been able to make it work at all is
> to install a graphical version and click on the networking icon.
> That doesn't work if I do a minimal install.
> What does?
----
can't recall specifically because work has me using VMWare and not
VirtualBox but you really want to use 'bridging' for networking in setup
so it gets its own IP address rather than trying to NAT from the host.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> What is the magic formula for doing networking
> from a VirtualBox guest?
> So far, the only way I've been able to make it work at all is
> to install a graphical version and click on the networking icon.
> That doesn't work if I do a minimal install.
> What does?

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Deployment_Guide/part-Networking.html

Set it to DHCP if you use NAT mode or whatever your network uses if
you use Bridged mode.

> --
> Michael * hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
> "Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
> Optimist: * The glass is half full.
> Engineer: * The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

-T.C.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> What is the magic formula for doing networking
> from a VirtualBox guest?
> So far, the only way I've been able to make it work at all is
> to install a graphical version and click on the networking icon.
> That doesn't work if I do a minimal install.
> What does?

As I should have mentioned before,
Fedora 14 is both the guest and the host.

The host uses my second newest kernel because my newest won't shut down.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> What is the magic formula for doing networking
>> from a VirtualBox guest?
>> So far, the only way I've been able to make it work at all is
>> to install a graphical version and click on the networking icon.
>> That doesn't work if I do a minimal install.
>> What does?
>
> As I should have mentioned before,
> Fedora 14 is both the guest and the host.

Also, /etc/dhcp/dhclient.d is empty and has no siblings.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> What is the magic formula for doing networking
> from a VirtualBox guest?
> So far, the only way I've been able to make it work at all is
> to install a graphical version and click on the networking icon.
> That doesn't work if I do a minimal install.
> What does?

I saved this link because I've been meaning to test "VBoxManage..."
but haven't yet. Maybe it'll help:
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html
and for networking:
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#idp12474912

Old 08-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Tom H wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Michael Hennebry
> <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
>>
>> What is the magic formula for doing networking
>> from a VirtualBox guest?
>> So far, the only way I've been able to make it work at all is
>> to install a graphical version and click on the networking icon.
>> That doesn't work if I do a minimal install.
>> What does?
>
> I saved this link because I've been meaning to test "VBoxManage..."
> but haven't yet. Maybe it'll help:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html
> and for networking:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#idp12474912

Thanks, but I think that my VirtualBox settings are correct:
I can make networking work if I install a graphical desktop.
What I can't seem to find is the guest's (Fedora 14's)
command-line on-switch for networking.
I don't understand why this is hard.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Tuesday 16 August 2011 22:24:56 Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Tom H wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Michael Hennebry
> >
> > <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> >> What is the magic formula for doing networking
> >> from a VirtualBox guest?
> >> So far, the only way I've been able to make it work at all is
> >> to install a graphical version and click on the networking icon.
> >> That doesn't work if I do a minimal install.
> >> What does?
> >
> > I saved this link because I've been meaning to test "VBoxManage..."
> > but haven't yet. Maybe it'll help:
> > http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html
> > and for networking:
> > http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#idp12474912
>
> Thanks, but I think that my VirtualBox settings are correct:
> I can make networking work if I install a graphical desktop.
> What I can't seem to find is the guest's (Fedora 14's)
> command-line on-switch for networking.
> I don't understand why this is hard.

Maybe you want to "yum install cnetworkmanager", and then RTFM,
"cnetworkmanager --help".

Also, given that the network isn't available for the guest, you might want to
install this on the host machine instead, then look inside /var/cache/yum/ to
find the appropriate rpm files and transfer them and install to the guest
manually (via the .iso image or something).

Alternatively, you might consider disabling NetworkManager and configuring the
old network service instead. I believe the guest has a virtual wired LAN card
which is in the "connected" state to the virtual switch that VBox provides, so
it makes sense to use the network service instead of NetworkManager, as the
guest is always online via the (virtual) wired cable. Go to
/etc/sysconfig/networking/ and edit the appropriate files, then do a "service
network start" to activate it.

At any rate, if you are configuring a minimal, CLI-only Fedora system as the
guest, you are supposed to be familiar with manual network configuration. There
is no simple "on-switch". If you are not using the GUI tools, you are assumed
to be an advanced user who knows his way around with the command prompt and
/etc directory.

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Tom H wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Michael Hennebry
>> <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the magic formula for doing networking
>>> from a VirtualBox guest?
>>> So far, the only way I've been able to make it work at all is
>>> to install a graphical version and click on the networking icon.
>>> That doesn't work if I do a minimal install.
>>> What does?
>>
>> I saved this link because I've been meaning to test "VBoxManage..."
>> but haven't yet. Maybe it'll help:
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html
>> and for networking:
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#idp12474912
>
> Thanks, but I think that my VirtualBox settings are correct:
> I can make networking work if I install a graphical desktop.
> What I can't seem to find is the guest's (Fedora 14's)
> command-line on-switch for networking.
> I don't understand why this is hard.

Sorry, I misunderstood completely!

What's the output of "chkconfig --list NetworkManager" and "chkconfig
--list network"?

What's the content of your ifcfg-X file?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Michael Hennebry

Thanks folks.

Now /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-scripts looks like this:
DEVICE="eth0"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
HWADDR="08:00:272:4E1B"
NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
ONBOOT="yes"
to match that of my host system.
Previously, BOOTPROTO was not there and ONBOOT was "no".
I also used
chkconfig --add network
to start the network service.

I now have a guest that can be pinged from outside its host.