-   -   telnet on local LAN question (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/564701-telnet-local-lan-question.html)

Paul Allen Newell 08-16-2011 05:04 AM

telnet on local LAN question

Greetings

I am trying to figure out how to get communication between my F14 boxes
on a local wired LAN. The best test case I can come up with to prove
that I don't know what I am doing wrong is telnet.

Each machine has a /etc/hosts looking like (where <name> is the machine
name and <other> is any other machine:
+++
127.0.0.1 <name> localhost.localdomain localhost
<name>.localdomain localhost4
::1 <name> localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6 <name>.localdomain

192.168.2.10 <other1>.localdomain <other1>
192.168.2.11 <other2>.localdomain <other2>
192.168.2.12 <other3>.localdomain <other3>
+++

For the other machines, its name is removed in the 192.168.10.x list and
192.168.2.13 <name>.localdomain <name> is added

Each machines has a /etc/sysconfig/network of:
+++
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=<name>.localdomain
NTPSERVERARGS=iburst
+++

I didn't see any reference to <name> or <otherX> in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, so I am not including it ...
if there should be something, I'd love to know! I can't think of any
other place for <otherX> or <otherX>.localdomain, but that's out of
ignorance as I haven't encountered this sort of problem before.

The splash screen for all machines is <name>.localdomain. The command
hostname returns <name>.localdomain.

Ping works great between all of the machines for both <otherX> and
<otherX>.localdomain, lists the 192.168.10.x address like a happy camper
should

But a telnet <otherX> 25 or telnet <otherX>.localdomain 25 fails.

I can't tell if I need to add information about the other machines
somewhere else on <name> or if they really are known but something is
blocking it.

I also can't use mail/mailx between the machines. I noticed that
mail/mailx always resolves <otherX> to <otherX>.localdomain (and sending
to self is resolved to <name>.localdomain), so I changed network to use
the localdomain suffix and added it in /etc/hosts before the instance of
<other>. Neither telnet or mail/mailx worked with just <name>, so I am
pretty certain that I didn't break anything by changing <name> to
<name>.localdomain.

Some machines were already using hostname of <name>.localdomain and my
records aren't good enough to know how I specified the name of the
machine when I installed F14 (it never was an issue as everything worked
until I tested mail/mailx and telnet so I never documented exactly how I
should set machine name on install).

It seems that the telnet problem is a simpler one than the mail/mailx
and if I can at least get telnet working, then I am closer to getting
mail/mailx working.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Paul

James Hogarth 08-16-2011 06:09 AM

telnet on local LAN question

Sent from Android mobile

On Aug 16, 2011 6:04 AM, "Paul Allen Newell" <pnewell@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:> Greetings

Paul Allen Newell 08-16-2011 06:11 AM

telnet on local LAN question

[no content from sender in this message?]

James Hogarth 08-16-2011 06:13 AM

telnet on local LAN question

> It seems that the telnet problem is a simpler one than the mail/mailx

> and if I can at least get telnet working, then I am closer to getting

> mail/mailx working.

> Any suggestions?

1) Why telnet? SSH is much more secure and should work out the box.

2) What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the mailx stuff? Do you want mail to go directly between machines rather than to a central server?

Paul Allen Newell 08-16-2011 06:22 AM

On 8/15/2011 11:13 PM, James Hogarth wrote:

> > It seems that the telnet problem is a simpler one than the mail/mailx
> > and if I can at least get telnet working, then I am closer to getting
> > mail/mailx working.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> 1) Why telnet? SSH is much more secure and should work out the box.
>
> 2) What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the mailx stuff? Do
> you want mail to go directly between machines rather than to a central
> server?

1) telnet is only being used to test why I can't use it ... ssh/scp is
my preferred method under regular usage

2) I want to send mail between the Linux boxes on the local LAN and wish
to treat each box as independent rather than organize them into
clients/server. I already have figured out (with much help from this
community and my email provider) how to send email from each of them to
my thunderbird account maintained elsewhere (which I am currently
accessing from Win XP / Win 7 but hope to eventually deploy Thunderbird
on one or more of my Linux boxes.

To be honest, I won't die if I can't do this. But it sure seems like I
should be able to and that is why I am asking.

Thanks for your response,
Paul