Old 08-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Steven Stern

Default Fprint service?

I see a lot of stuff like this in /var/log/messages:

Aug 15 18:35:15 sds-desk dbus-daemon: [system] Activating service
name='net.reactivated.Fprint' (using servicehelper)
Aug 15 18:35:15 sds-desk dbus-daemon: [system] Successfully activated
service 'net.reactivated.Fprint'

Googling indicates this has something to do with a fingerprint reader.
As this system doesn't have one, how can I disable the service?
systemctl doesn't list it, nor does chkconfig.

--
-- Steve

Old 08-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 08/16/2011 05:09 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> I see a lot of stuff like this in /var/log/messages:
>
> Aug 15 18:35:15 sds-desk dbus-daemon: [system] Activating service
> name='net.reactivated.Fprint' (using servicehelper)
> Aug 15 18:35:15 sds-desk dbus-daemon: [system] Successfully activated
> service 'net.reactivated.Fprint'
>

> Googling indicates this has something to do with a fingerprint reader.
> As this system doesn't have one, how can I disable the service?
> systemctl doesn't list it, nor does chkconfig.

It is a D-Bus activated service. yum remove fprintd is the simplest
way to disable it

Rahul

Old 08-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 18:39 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> I see a lot of stuff like this in /var/log/messages:
>
> Aug 15 18:35:15 sds-desk dbus-daemon: [system] Activating service
> name='net.reactivated.Fprint' (using servicehelper)
> Aug 15 18:35:15 sds-desk dbus-daemon: [system] Successfully activated
> service 'net.reactivated.Fprint'
>

> Googling indicates this has something to do with a fingerprint reader.
> As this system doesn't have one, how can I disable the service?
> systemctl doesn't list it, nor does chkconfig.
>

> --
> -- Steve

If you go to a program called Authentication , under the Advanced
Options is an option to enable fingerprint reader support. On my machine
this option was chosen by default. Unchoose it and that might help your
problem.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Frantisek Hanzlik

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 18:39 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
>> I see a lot of stuff like this in /var/log/messages:
>>
>> Aug 15 18:35:15 sds-desk dbus-daemon: [system] Activating service
>> name='net.reactivated.Fprint' (using servicehelper)
>> Aug 15 18:35:15 sds-desk dbus-daemon: [system] Successfully activated
>> service 'net.reactivated.Fprint'
>>

>> Googling indicates this has something to do with a fingerprint reader.
>> As this system doesn't have one, how can I disable the service?
>> systemctl doesn't list it, nor does chkconfig.
>>

>> --
>> -- Steve
>
> If you go to a program called Authentication , under the Advanced
> Options is an option to enable fingerprint reader support. On my machine
> this option was chosen by default. Unchoose it and that might help your
> problem.

I think Rahul in his response perfectly clarified this things.
Precisely, in two simple sentenses.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 23:31 +0200, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 18:39 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> >> I see a lot of stuff like this in /var/log/messages:
> >>
> >> Aug 15 18:35:15 sds-desk dbus-daemon: [system] Activating service
> >> name='net.reactivated.Fprint' (using servicehelper)
> >> Aug 15 18:35:15 sds-desk dbus-daemon: [system] Successfully activated
> >> service 'net.reactivated.Fprint'
> >>

> >> Googling indicates this has something to do with a fingerprint reader.
> >> As this system doesn't have one, how can I disable the service?
> >> systemctl doesn't list it, nor does chkconfig.
> >>

> >> --
> >> -- Steve
> >
> > If you go to a program called Authentication , under the Advanced
> > Options is an option to enable fingerprint reader support. On my machine
> > this option was chosen by default. Unchoose it and that might help your
> > problem.
>

> I think Rahul in his response perfectly clarified this things.
> Precisely, in two simple sentenses.

I have nothing against Rahul's clarification. However, it seems useful
to know that there is a program supplied by F15 that can handle the
problem of fingerprint reader support.