Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Claude Jones

Default Samba asking for authorization to browse suddenly

I think Samba's the culprit. Samba is set up in share mode on my mixed Win7 and Linux network. Up to some recent period, Windows boxes could see my Fedora shares and my Fedora box could get on the network and see the Windows shares - typically I use Dolphin and select NetworkSamba Shares That brings up the "Workgroup" icon and clicking that would show the computers on the network.

Now, I get a UN/PW authorization dialog as soon as I click on "Workgroup", and nothing I enter works but just returns the dialog. I don't remember when it was last working, but, it's been a while since I tried to browse my Windows boxes.

I've checked the firewall settings to make sure they didn't get changed and tried turning off Selinux enforcing; the machine is Fedora 15 64-bit and is fully up to date. I tried installing Smb4k and when I scan the network using its interface, it just returns a blank screen...

I've looked at the system and samba logs - the only interesting I see there, in the Samba log, is messages like this: "Scheduled cleanup of brl and lock database after unclean shutdownz" - this happenned several times today it claims - then there follows a message saying it is running the cleanup, and that's followed by strings of messages like this "Could not find child 15456 -- ignoring"... I haven't hard rebooted the machine or anything like that, so I'm not sure what "unclean shutdown" is referring to...

Ideas?

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 08-16-2011, 01:14 AM
Craig White

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 19:19 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> I think Samba's the culprit. Samba is set up in share mode on my mixed
> Win7 and Linux network. Up to some recent period, Windows boxes could
> see my Fedora shares and my Fedora box could get on the network and
> see the Windows shares - typically I use Dolphin and select Network
> Samba Shares That brings up the "Workgroup" icon and clicking that
> would show the computers on the network.
>

> Now, I get a UN/PW authorization dialog as soon as I click on
> "Workgroup", and nothing I enter works but just returns the dialog. I
> don't remember when it was last working, but, it's been a while since
> I tried to browse my Windows boxes.
>

> I've checked the firewall settings to make sure they didn't get
> changed and tried turning off Selinux enforcing; the machine is Fedora
> 15 64-bit and is fully up to date. I tried installing Smb4k and when I
> scan the network using its interface, it just returns a blank
> screen...
>
> I've looked at the system and samba logs - the only interesting I see
> there, in the Samba log, is messages like this: "Scheduled cleanup of
> brl and lock database after unclean shutdownz" - this happenned
> several times today it claims - then there follows a message saying it
> is running the cleanup, and that's followed by strings of messages
> like this "Could not find child 15456 -- ignoring"... I haven't hard
> rebooted the machine or anything like that, so I'm not sure what
> "unclean shutdown" is referring to...
----
I think 'share' mode was suitable in the early 2000's but not today. The
concept was that you designated a user and that share would have the
user's password as the password - to mimic filesharing as offered by
Windows 95 & Windows 98.

Thus you can't really pass a user to share mode, only a password. The
user has to be configured in smb.conf and it is that users password that
you must use to login to a samba sharing via share mode.

The way to set up samba is 'security = user'. Then each user can login
(or not login depending of course on configuration).

I don't know that Windows 7 is capable of accessing 'share mode' but
this page should prove useful in any event...

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Claude Jones

On Monday, August 15, 2011, Craig White wrote:

> I don't know that Windows 7 is capable of accessing 'share

> mode' but this page should prove useful in any event...

> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

Well, as I said in my original post, I have no problems accessing the shares on my Fedora box from Win7 machines on my network.

I just can't get past a dialog box asking me for the workgroup password when I try to access my network from Fedora. This was all working just fine a few weeks ago. I didn't change anything about my configuration, so I have to assume some update changed something...

I'll look at that page...

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 AM
Craig White

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 21:58 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Monday, August 15, 2011, Craig White wrote:
>
> > I don't know that Windows 7 is capable of accessing 'share
>
> > mode' but this page should prove useful in any event...
>

> > http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7
>

> Well, as I said in my original post, I have no problems accessing the
> shares on my Fedora box from Win7 machines on my network.
----
actually, you didn't say it with this clarity.
----
> I just can't get past a dialog box asking me for the workgroup
> password when I try to access my network from Fedora. This was all
> working just fine a few weeks ago. I didn't change anything about my
> configuration, so I have to assume some update changed something...
----
there's nothing to govern whether you can browse a workgroup in terms of
Windows security so the fact that it's actually asking you for a user
name &/or password just to browse the workgroup indicates a problem with
something other than windows or samba configuration.

You should be able to access from command line...

smbclient -L $NAME_OF_SERVER

even without a password or user on my domain controller...
(note, when it asked for a password, I just hit return so it was
anonymous)

# smbclient -L SRV2
Enter root's password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[AZAPPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
netlogon Disk Network Logon Service
print$ Disk
Storage Disk Main File Storage
Media Disk Media Storage
CD Disk CD virtual drive
Win 2K XP Disk Windows updates for 32 bit
Linux Disk Linux Updates
Macintosh Classic Disk Macintosh Classic OS Updates
Macintosh OSX Disk Macintosh OSX Updates
Music Disk Music Files
Software Disk Installer Images
Documents Disk My Documents
Movies Disk Main File Storage
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Main File Server)
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[AZAPPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

Server Comment
--------- -------
LIN-WORKSTATION Samba Server Version 3.5.8-76.fc14
SRV2 Main File Server
WIN-WORKSTATION

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
AZAPPLE SRV2

I think that your smb4k must have an issue

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:44 AM
Claude Jones

On Monday, August 15, 2011, Craig White wrote:

> I think that your smb4k must have an issue

I just threw smb4k on there after I encountered the problem with listing the workgroup from Dolphin. I've been able to use it in years past to get past various issues. There probably is a problem with smb4k's configuration, but there's also something else... The problem I'm having was there before installing smb4k

Here's some readout from your suggested command:

# smbclient -L win7jj

Enter root's password:

Domain=[WIN7JJ] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 Service Pack 1] Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]

Sharename Type Comment

--------- ---- -------

ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin

C$ Disk Default share

D Disk

D$ Disk Default share

F$ Disk Default share

G Disk

G$ Disk Default share

HP Photosmart C5200 series Printer HP Photosmart C5200 series

IPC$ IPC Remote IPC

P$ Disk Default share

print$ Disk Printer Drivers

temp Disk

Users Disk

Old 08-16-2011, 03:44 AM
Craig White

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 22:44 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Monday, August 15, 2011, Craig White wrote:
>
> > I think that your smb4k must have an issue
>

> I just threw smb4k on there after I encountered the problem with
> listing the workgroup from Dolphin. I've been able to use it in years
> past to get past various issues. There probably is a problem with
> smb4k's configuration, but there's also something else... The problem
> I'm having was there before installing smb4k
>

> Here's some readout from your suggested command:
>

> # smbclient -L win7jj
>
> Enter root's password:
>
> Domain=[WIN7JJ] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 Service Pack 1]
> Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]
>

> Sharename Type Comment
>
> --------- ---- -------
>
> ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
>
> C$ Disk Default share
>
> D Disk
>
> D$ Disk Default share
>
> F$ Disk Default share
>
> G Disk
>
> G$ Disk Default share
>
> HP Photosmart C5200 series Printer HP Photosmart C5200 series
>
> IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
>
> P$ Disk Default share
>
> print$ Disk Printer Drivers
>
> temp Disk
>
> Users Disk
>
> Domain=[WIN7JJ] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 Service Pack 1]
> Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]
----
Windows computer WIN7JJ doesn't belong to a workgroup called 'Workgroup'

I'm not sure why it didn't say 'anonymous' when you connected to it. Did
you type a password? You should be able to get a list of shares without
a login/password.

What about the Samba computer? Where does workgroup 'Workgroup' come
from? Shouldn't all the systems have the same workgroup name?

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Claude Jones

On Monday, August 15, 2011, Craig White wrote:

> Windows computer WIN7JJ doesn't belong to a workgroup called

> 'Workgroup'

how did you determine that? I'll check on that for sure

> I'm not sure why it didn't say 'anonymous' when you connected

> to it. Did you type a password?

no, I pressed 'enter' as you suggested

> You should be able to get a

> list of shares without a login/password.

I did

> What about the Samba computer? Where does workgroup 'Workgroup'

> come from? Shouldn't all the systems have the same workgroup

> name?

workgroup is configured in the Samba GUI settings page, under the 'Base Settings' tab

here's a readout from testparm which you suggested I post years ago - maybe it will help:

# testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf

rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)

Processing section "[homes]"

Processing section "[printers]"

Processing section "[ImageArchive]"

Processing section "[Downloads]"

Processing section "[LaptopBackup]"

Loaded services file OK.

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]

server string = Samba Server Version %v

security = SHARE

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

max log size = 50

logon path = \%25N\%25Uprofile

logon home = \%25N\%25U

domain master = No

cups options = raw

[homes]

comment = Home Directories

read >
browseable = No

[printers]

comment = All Printers

path = /var/spool/samba

printable = Yes

browseable = No

[ImageArchive]

path = /home/cj/ImageArchive

guest ok = Yes

[Downloads]

path = /home/cj/Downloads

read >
guest ok = Yes

[LaptopBackup]

path = /home/cj/LaptopBackup

read >
guest ok = Yes

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 08-16-2011, 04:15 AM
Craig White

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 00:05 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Monday, August 15, 2011, Craig White wrote:
>
> > Windows computer WIN7JJ doesn't belong to a workgroup called
>
> > 'Workgroup'
>

> how did you determine that? I'll check on that for sure
>

> > I'm not sure why it didn't say 'anonymous' when you connected
>
> > to it. Did you type a password?
>
> no, I pressed 'enter' as you suggested
>

> > You should be able to get a
>
> > list of shares without a login/password.
>

> I did
>

> > What about the Samba computer? Where does workgroup 'Workgroup'
>
> > come from? Shouldn't all the systems have the same workgroup
>
> > name?
>

> workgroup is configured in the Samba GUI settings page, under the
> 'Base Settings' tab
>

> here's a readout from testparm which you suggested I post years ago -
> maybe it will help:
>

> # testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit
> (16384)
>
> Processing section "[homes]"
>
> Processing section "[printers]"
>
> Processing section "[ImageArchive]"
>
> Processing section "[Downloads]"
>
> Processing section "[LaptopBackup]"
>
> Loaded services file OK.
>
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
>
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>

> [global]
>
> server string = Samba Server Version %v
>
> security = SHARE
>
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>
> max log size = 50
>
> logon path = \%25N\%25Uprofile
>
> logon home = \%25N\%25U
>
> domain master = No
>
> cups options = raw
>

> [homes]
>
> comment = Home Directories
>
> read only = No
>
> browseable = No
>

> [printers]
>
> comment = All Printers
>
> path = /var/spool/samba
>
> printable = Yes
>
> browseable = No
>

> [ImageArchive]
>
> path = /home/cj/ImageArchive
>
> guest ok = Yes
>

> [Downloads]
>
> path = /home/cj/Downloads
>
> read only = No
>
> guest ok = Yes
>

> [LaptopBackup]
>
> path = /home/cj/LaptopBackup
>
> read only = No
>
> guest ok = Yes
---
I think you need to set 'guest account'

see the man page for smb.conf and locate the

NOTE ABOUT USERNAME/PASSWORD VALIDATION

SECURITY = SHARE

sections

also - fwiw, 'testparm -sv' will give you all the settings, including
the defaults which are surely there if you don't have any configuration
for them and doing 'testparm -sv | grep guest' will probably show you
who is configured for the guest account which is likely not working for
you.

Craig

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Claude Jones

On Tuesday, August 16, 2011, Craig White wrote:

> I think you need to set 'guest account'

> see the man page for smb.conf and locate the*

> NOTE ABOUT USERNAME/PASSWORD VALIDATION

> SECURITY = SHARE*

> sections

> also - fwiw, 'testparm -sv' will give you all the settings,

> including the defaults which are surely there if you don't

> have any configuration for them and doing 'testparm -sv | grep

> guest' will probably show you who is configured for the guest

> account which is likely not working for you.

I'm still trying to figure this out, but, what puzzles me is what caused things to change. It was working perfectly. It could easily be some Windows update as well as some Samba update, I suppose. I've tried to google this issue, but most hits I'm getting are old and talk about an smbclient update being the culprit... If this were an update caused problem, one would presume that others would be having the issue...

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 AM
Craig White

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 11:50 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:

> I'm still trying to figure this out, but, what puzzles me is what
> caused things to change. It was working perfectly. It could easily be
> some Windows update as well as some Samba update, I suppose. I've
> tried to google this issue, but most hits I'm getting are old and talk
> about an smbclient update being the culprit... If this were an update
> caused problem, one would presume that others would be having the
> issue...
----
your configuration is marginal at best - defective according to the man
page so that it might have worked in the past and ceased to work at some
point thereafter is probably not worth the energy to investigate.

As for googling for suggestions on Samba - I think it's pointless. It
will chase you down a thousand alleys. The official documentation is the
best that open source has to offer. If you want to spend your time
productively doing research...

http://samba.org/samba/docs/

See 'Official Samba Howto' and 'By Example' though I'm not sure that
they have any examples for 'security = share' as that is thoroughly
discouraged usage these days and the only reason they don't remove it is
for backward compatibility (yeah, there are some Windows 98 systems
still out there).

I do sort of suspect that the issue you first reported doesn't seem to
be a Samba problem at all. There's absolutely no reason to have to
provide a user name and password to browse a Windows network. Not only
is it not required, it's not a function of a Windows workgroup at all -
there isn't any Windows or Samba service designed to authenticate
network browsing.

Craig

believed to be clean.