Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Alex

Default Dual monitors on Radeon 5770 with fc15

Hi,
I've just reinstalled fc15 x86_64 on an AMD Phenom with an ATI Radeon
HD5770 and two 22" ViewSonic LCD monitors that I previously had fc14
successfully installed. Instead of doing an upgrade, I backed up the
data and reinstalled.

Fedora now can't properly detect the monitors and video card with this version.

Can someone recommend an updated set of instructions for configuring
this video card successfully? Do the default fedora Xorg drivers
support this card, or is it necessary to use the binary ATI drivers?

Running "Xorg -configure" does not produce a xorg.conf file. It fails with:

(II) [KMS] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol, no kernel modesetting.
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device
Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
Configuration failed.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 PM
suvayu ali

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
> ATI Radeon HD5770

Are you sure you don't need the proprietary drivers?

--
Suvayu

Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Alex

Hi,

>> ATI Radeon HD5770
>
> Are you sure you don't need the proprietary drivers?

No, I'm not sure. That was basically my question. It was 18mo ago that
I installed fedora14 on this system, so I don't recall. The video
never ran optimally, even on fc14, so I'd really like to know what the
proper way to support this card is.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 08-16-2011, 12:48 AM
suvayu ali

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ATI Radeon HD5770
>>
>> Are you sure you don't need the proprietary drivers?
>
> No, I'm not sure. That was basically my question. It was 18mo ago that
> I installed fedora14 on this system, so I don't recall. The video
> never ran optimally, even on fc14, so I'd really like to know what the
> proper way to support this card is.

I guess the simplest way to find out is to look at 'man 4 radeon' on
your system. It should be the version corresponding version for your
driver. At the start of the man page you'll see all the supported
systems. I believe your chipset, if supported, should be listed
something as below.

JUNIPER Radeon HD 5750/5770

However note that this doesn't mean you will have full 3D support.
This only guarantees 2D rendering.

Its my hunch the F15 radeon version (package: xorg-x11-drv-ati) is
still too old to support your chipset. If that proves to be the case,
installing the proprietary drivers from RPMFusion is your only
recourse.

GL

--
Suvayu

Old 08-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda

Try this:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=263632
or this
http://www.multimediaboom.com/install-ati-video-drivers-in-fedora-15/

Regards

[...]

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
*Software Engineer (UCI)
*Linux User # 418229
*http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com

*http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186
*https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Marcosluis

Old 08-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Alex

Hi,

> Try this:
> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=263632
> or this
> http://www.multimediaboom.com/install-ati-video-drivers-in-fedora-15/

Yes, it does look like the default xorg ati drivers don't support this
card, so I'm investigating the third-party drivers. A few more
questions.

- Has AMD bought ATI? It seems there are several references to drivers
available for download from AMD.
- Do you know how the Radeon and Catalyst models relate? Can I follow
the instructions available for installing Catalyst cards for use with
Radeon cards?
- When I try to install the RPMFusion packages, I get the following error:

rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
Retrieving http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
Retrieving http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
system-release >= 16 is needed by rpmfusion-free-release-16-0.1.noarch
system-release >= 16 is needed by
rpmfusion-nonfree-release-16-0.1.noarch

I followed the directions from here:

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 08-16-2011, 03:07 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Try this:
>> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=263632
>> or this
>> http://www.multimediaboom.com/install-ati-video-drivers-in-fedora-15/
>
> Yes, it does look like the default xorg ati drivers don't support this
> card, so I'm investigating the third-party drivers. A few more
> questions.
>
> - Has AMD bought ATI? It seems there are several references to drivers
> available for download from AMD.

Yes, several years ago.

> - Do you know how the Radeon and Catalyst models relate? Can I follow
> the instructions available for installing Catalyst cards for use with
> Radeon cards?
> - When I try to install the RPMFusion packages, I get the following error:
>
> rpm -Uvh *http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
> *http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
> Retrieving http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
> Retrieving http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
> * * * *system-release >= 16 is needed by rpmfusion-free-release-16-0.1.noarch
> * * * *system-release >= 16 is needed by
> rpmfusion-nonfree-release-16-0.1.noarch

Those are for what will become Fedora 16. For F15, you want the
following command:

su -c 'yum localinstall --nogpgcheck
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm'

> I followed the directions from here:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=262634
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

-T.C.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:10 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
> - Has AMD bought ATI? It seems there are several references to drivers
> available for download from AMD.

Forgot to mention that the driver from RPMFusion is exactly the same
as the one available for download from AMD/ATI, just packaged such
that installation on Fedora is painless. Trying to use the stock ATI
driver is much more difficult to get going.

> - Do you know how the Radeon and Catalyst models relate? Can I follow
> the instructions available for installing Catalyst cards for use with
> Radeon cards?

Radeon is the name of ATI/AMD's line of graphics hardware. Catalyst
is the name of their driver software. You use Catalyst drivers with
Radeon hardware.

-T.C.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Alex

Hi,

>> - Has AMD bought ATI? It seems there are several references to drivers
>> available for download from AMD.
>
> Forgot to mention that the driver from RPMFusion is exactly the same
> as the one available for download from AMD/ATI, just packaged such
> that installation on Fedora is painless. *Trying to use the stock ATI
> driver is much more difficult to get going.

Yes, that's exactly why I was trying to get the RPMFusion stuff going.

I've now got it going, and have a basic ATI driver running now, rather
than the 640x480 I had previously.

After experiencing GNOME3 for the last few minutes, I can definitely
say it's "form over function" in this release. I'm already regretting
upgrading. The lack of function, specifically the video support, is
frustrating.

Trying to run the livna config program fails:

Aug 16 15:46:57 sage livnaConfigClient.py: abrt: detected unhandled
Python exception in
/usr/share/livna-config-display/livnaConfigClient.py
Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrtd: Unrecognized variable 'DumpLocation' in
'/etc/abrt/abrt.conf'
Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrtd: New client connected
Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrt-server[4251]: Saved Python crash dump of pid
4246 to /var/spool/abrt/pyhook-2011-08-16-15:46:57-4246
Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrtd: Directory
'pyhook-2011-08-16-15:46:57-4246' creation detected
Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrt-server[4251]: Unrecognized variable
'DumpLocation' in '/etc/abrt/abrt.conf'
Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrtd: Corrupted or bad dump
/var/spool/abrt/pyhook-2011-08-16-15:46:57-4246 (res:2), deleting

Is there another way, besides hacking the xorg.conf like it's 1998
again, to configure resolution and dual monitors?

Also, what the hell happened to the minimize button on each window?

Is there any way to fix the screen corruption without switching from
GNOME to another DE?

I figured since it was released in May, and now it's August, they
would have worked out the basic usability issues, but this is
definitely the release to skip.

Ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

Old 08-17-2011, 02:22 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On 8/16/11, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> - Has AMD bought ATI? It seems there are several references to drivers
>>> available for download from AMD.
>>
>> Forgot to mention that the driver from RPMFusion is exactly the same
>> as the one available for download from AMD/ATI, just packaged such
>> that installation on Fedora is painless. Trying to use the stock ATI
>> driver is much more difficult to get going.
>
> Yes, that's exactly why I was trying to get the RPMFusion stuff going.
>
> I've now got it going, and have a basic ATI driver running now, rather
> than the 640x480 I had previously.
>
> After experiencing GNOME3 for the last few minutes, I can definitely
> say it's "form over function" in this release. I'm already regretting
> upgrading. The lack of function, specifically the video support, is
> frustrating.
>
> Trying to run the livna config program fails:
>
> Aug 16 15:46:57 sage livnaConfigClient.py: abrt: detected unhandled
> Python exception in
> /usr/share/livna-config-display/livnaConfigClient.py
> Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrtd: Unrecognized variable 'DumpLocation' in
> '/etc/abrt/abrt.conf'
> Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrtd: New client connected
> Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrt-server[4251]: Saved Python crash dump of pid
> 4246 to /var/spool/abrt/pyhook-2011-08-16-15:46:57-4246
> Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrtd: Directory
> 'pyhook-2011-08-16-15:46:57-4246' creation detected
> Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrt-server[4251]: Unrecognized variable
> 'DumpLocation' in '/etc/abrt/abrt.conf'
> Aug 16 15:46:57 sage abrtd: Corrupted or bad dump
> /var/spool/abrt/pyhook-2011-08-16-15:46:57-4246 (res:2), deleting
>
> Is there another way, besides hacking the xorg.conf like it's 1998
> again, to configure resolution and dual monitors?

Try the "Catalyst Control Center" that was installed along with the
driver. FInd it in whatever GNOME 3 calls an application menu or run
"amdccle" from a terminal.

Theoretically the display settings in the GNOME Control Center should
also work. The proprietary ATI driver didn't support the standard
interface for controlling the display (XRadR) for ages, but I
understand they've got their act together as of late.

> Also, what the hell happened to the minimize button on each window?

It was removed in GNOME 3. I understand installing and using the
gnome-tweak-tool package permits you to restore some sane behaviors to
the desktop.

> Is there any way to fix the screen corruption without switching from
> GNOME to another DE?

Exactly what are you experiencing?

You could also try fallback mode:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3-fallback.html

> I figured since it was released in May, and now it's August, they
> would have worked out the basic usability issues, but this is
> definitely the release to skip.

Most of what you're experiencing is either problems with the ATI
driver, which has and always will be a pain, or GNOME 3, in which all
your problems are "by design". I'm afraid F16 won't be able to help
you with either of those.

> Ideas greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Alex