Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Steven Stern

Default Time sync is foobar

Last night, I noticed that the time on my computer was off by about 20
minutes.

So,

service ntpd stop
ntpdate nist1-chi.ustiming.org
service ntpd start

This morning, the time is once again off. It appears that ntp is not
synching time. I see nothing unusual in /var/log/messages.

Is the drift file the problem?

$more /var/lib/ntp/drift
-32.866

--
-- Steve

Old 08-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/15/2011 08:52 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> This morning, the time is once again off. It appears that ntp is not
> synching time. I see nothing unusual in /var/log/messages.

Is it running fast or slow? If it's slow, it could simply be that your
CMOS battery is getting low. Modern mobos are designed to do this as a
warning.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Steven Stern

On 08/15/2011 11:05 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/15/2011 08:52 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
>> This morning, the time is once again off. It appears that ntp is not
>> synching time. I see nothing unusual in /var/log/messages.
>
> Is it running fast or slow? If it's slow, it could simply be that your
> CMOS battery is getting low. Modern mobos are designed to do this as a
> warning.

It's running slow and I suspect the mobo battery is darn close to dead.
I'll check that out.

--
-- Steve

Old 08-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:52:09 -0500
Steven Stern wrote:

> service ntpd stop
> ntpdate nist1-chi.ustiming.org
> service ntpd start
>
> This morning, the time is once again off. It appears that ntp is not
> synching time. I see nothing unusual in /var/log/messages.

NTP suffers from acute malignant optimism about how well the
native computer can keep time. With a clock that is rotten enough,
NTP will never manage to sync. I have had many motherboards
that seem to lose or gain so fast that NTP cannot fix it. I usually
resort to running ntpdate on cron every 5 minutes to get some
vaguely accurate time :-(.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Steven Stern

On 08/15/2011 11:26 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:52:09 -0500
> Steven Stern wrote:
>
>> service ntpd stop
>> ntpdate nist1-chi.ustiming.org
>> service ntpd start
>>
>> This morning, the time is once again off. It appears that ntp is not
>> synching time. I see nothing unusual in /var/log/messages.
>
> NTP suffers from acute malignant optimism about how well the
> native computer can keep time. With a clock that is rotten enough,
> NTP will never manage to sync. I have had many motherboards
> that seem to lose or gain so fast that NTP cannot fix it. I usually
> resort to running ntpdate on cron every 5 minutes to get some
> vaguely accurate time :-(.

This was working until yesterday, so I'm going to check the battery.

(Wife said "We have to leave at 7." I looked at the computer and it said
6:30, so I said "No Problem." About 2 minutes later I checked my phone
and it was 7:05. Oops.)

--
-- Steve

Old 08-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> said:
> On 08/15/2011 08:52 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> > This morning, the time is once again off. It appears that ntp is not
> > synching time. I see nothing unusual in /var/log/messages.
>
> Is it running fast or slow? If it's slow, it could simply be that your
> CMOS battery is getting low. Modern mobos are designed to do this as a
> warning.

Unless you reboot the system, the CMOS clock doesn't come into play.
Linux reads the CMOS clock at boot and then keeps time in the kernel.
If your clock is correct at boot and off later, then there's something
else wrong.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Roger

> sounds like one of them is set to use UTC and the other is not.
>
> on Fedora, run the command (as root)
>
> system-config-date
>
> check the tab 'Date and Time', verify the time server, under 'Advanced
> Options', you may want to uncheck the local time source
>
> check the tab called 'Time Zone', change the time zone to whatever it
> should be, check the option for 'system uses UTC clock'
>
> Craig

It's puzzling.
Ubuntu timezone is Melbourne Victoria and shows correct time and date
Fedora timezone is Melbourne Victoria and DateTime shows 4:27:40 seconds
and correct date.
Synchronise System Time is off for both installations
UTC is off in both systems.
PC system time is correct for Ubuntu.
Changing Fedora time and saving resets Ubuntu time to +10 hours
When I first noted this issue I fresh installed Fedora but problem
remains.

Roger

Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Steven Stern

On 08/15/2011 12:39 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> said:
>> On 08/15/2011 08:52 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
>>> This morning, the time is once again off. It appears that ntp is not
>>> synching time. I see nothing unusual in /var/log/messages.
>>
>> Is it running fast or slow? If it's slow, it could simply be that your
>> CMOS battery is getting low. Modern mobos are designed to do this as a
>> warning.
>
> Unless you reboot the system, the CMOS clock doesn't come into play.
> Linux reads the CMOS clock at boot and then keeps time in the kernel.
> If your clock is correct at boot and off later, then there's something
> else wrong.

There were no reboots inbetween last night's reset of the clock and this
morning's time check.

I just installed a new battery because the old one, though marked at 3V,
was putting out slightly less than 1 volt. I should know more in a few
hours.

--
-- Steve

Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Roger

On 16/08/11 02:08, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 08/15/2011 11:05 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 08/15/2011 08:52 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
>>> This morning, the time is once again off. It appears that ntp is not
>>> synching time. I see nothing unusual in /var/log/messages.
>> Is it running fast or slow? If it's slow, it could simply be that your
>> CMOS battery is getting low. Modern mobos are designed to do this as a
>> warning.
> It's running slow and I suspect the mobo battery is darn close to dead.
> I'll check that out.

OT - I have a problem between ubuntu 11 and Fedora 14, Fedora never
shows correct time, it's system time is 10 hours wrong because it will
not select the correct time zone. Ubuntu is correct.
Roger

Old 08-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Craig White

----
sounds like one of them is set to use UTC and the other is not.

on Fedora, run the command (as root)

system-config-date

check the tab 'Date and Time', verify the time server, under 'Advanced
Options', you may want to uncheck the local time source

check the tab called 'Time Zone', change the time zone to whatever it
should be, check the option for 'system uses UTC clock'

Craig

believed to be clean.