Old 08-14-2011, 03:02 PM
William Case

Default Some minor(grrr...) Gnome3 irritations

Hi; Just preupdated/updated to FC15 with Gnome3. There is lots to like
in the new Gnome and I am sure once I get familiar with moving around in
it and getting set up with the way I like to work, every thing will be
fine. But today I need some help.

It doesn't bother most other people, but my sense of neatness and
efficiency rebels at the idea of many windows open and overlapping at
the same time. I became very attached to the work areas, or view ports,
or task areas, where I could open different applications for different
tasks and keep applications organized that way and move back and forth
by clicking on the work area icon on my panel.

Is there any equivalent way to group work or jobs? I know applications
come pre-organized by function. I want something were I can open any
kind of application grouped with other applications for personally
designated projects or tasks.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 15, Gnome 3.0.2

Old 08-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Elliott Chapin

On 08/14/2011 11:02 AM, William Case wrote:
> Hi; Just preupdated/updated to FC15 with Gnome3. There is lots to like
> in the new Gnome and I am sure once I get familiar with moving around in
> it and getting set up with the way I like to work, every thing will be
> fine. But today I need some help.
>
> It doesn't bother most other people, but my sense of neatness and
> efficiency rebels at the idea of many windows open and overlapping at
> the same time. I became very attached to the work areas, or view ports,
> or task areas, where I could open different applications for different
> tasks and keep applications organized that way and move back and forth
> by clicking on the work area icon on my panel.
>
> Is there any equivalent way to group work or jobs? I know applications
> come pre-organized by function. I want something were I can open any
> kind of application grouped with other applications for personally
> designated projects or tasks.

While in Activities - drag an extra open app into a fresh workspace in
the strip on the right.

--
http://clients.teksavvy.com/~echapin

Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 PM
William Case

Hi Roger;

I have discovered a couple of things this afternoon

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 18:49 -0400, Roger K. Wells wrote:
> On 08/14/2011 11:02 AM, William Case wrote:
> >he work area icon on my panel.
> Lack of work areas/view ports/task areas is why I have stayed away from
> F15 so far.
> I know I will give in some time but .......
> Roger Wells
> > Is there any equivalent way to group work or jobs? I know applications
> > come pre-organized by function. I want something were I can open any
> > kind of application grouped with other applications for personally
> > designated projects or tasks.

The Fedora 15 version of Gnome3 is missing some of the shortcuts that
already exist in other distributions of Gnome3. See the

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

The "Windows" key goes a long way for making up for the loss of a panel
and the workspaces icon. One could use the "Windows" key and the
Alt-Tab to move around handily. I would request a right hand side edge
cursor motion or sensitive strip to automatically open/show the
workspace strip. After playing for a day what I do miss is quick access
to my calculator, dictionary, thesaurus and gnotes whichever workspace I
am working in.
--
Regards Bill
Fedora 15, Gnome 3.0.2

Old 08-14-2011, 10:49 PM
"Roger K. Wells"

On 08/14/2011 11:02 AM, William Case wrote:
> Hi; Just preupdated/updated to FC15 with Gnome3. There is lots to like
> in the new Gnome and I am sure once I get familiar with moving around in
> it and getting set up with the way I like to work, every thing will be
> fine. But today I need some help.
>
> It doesn't bother most other people, but my sense of neatness and
> efficiency rebels at the idea of many windows open and overlapping at
> the same time. I became very attached to the work areas, or view ports,
> or task areas, where I could open different applications for different
> tasks and keep applications organized that way and move back and forth
> by clicking on the work area icon on my panel.
Lack of work areas/view ports/task areas is why I have stayed away from
F15 so far.
I know I will give in some time but .......
Roger Wells
> Is there any equivalent way to group work or jobs? I know applications
> come pre-organized by function. I want something were I can open any
> kind of application grouped with other applications for personally
> designated projects or tasks.

--
Roger Wells, P.E.
SAIC