Old 02-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Edward DeMeulle

Default FC8 Kernel Crash, Troubleshooting?

My system (straight fc8 install, not an upgrade) has crashed several times,
usually about once a week or week and a half. The only information I have is
what was left on the screen (took photo but can't send attachment to this list).
It doesn't appear that the system has a chance to log anything in /var/log. I
assume that this is a kernel panic however I haven't had to deal with this sort
of issue before. Where should I start to try to ascertain the cause?

--
Edward DeMeulle <ed@demeulle.org>

Old 02-16-2008, 01:41 AM
David Timms

Edward DeMeulle wrote:
My system (straight fc8 install, not an upgrade) has crashed several
times, usually about once a week or week and a half. The only
information I have is what was left on the screen (took photo but can't
send attachment to this list). It doesn't appear that the system has a
chance to log anything in /var/log. I assume that this is a kernel panic
however I haven't had to deal with this sort of issue before. Where
should I start to try to ascertain the cause?

Yuk, a rare error is hard to find.
Is the machine on continually before it gets to that stage ?
Do you log out/in each day ?
Any programs runnning continually ?
Are any particular programs running when it goes wrong ?
Is it in active use ?
Are you using ati/nvidia closed source drivers ?

Using a serial console to send the log/error message to usually works. A
second PC with a serial port and a serial crossover cable {null modem
cable} is what's required. minicom can log the data output by the
problematic machine. If you have access to a second monitoring PC, ask
here how.

Some good pointers:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems#head-aacc422f26396dee978174e105c6a2b8ed962971

DaveT.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:49 AM
David Timms

Edward DeMeulle wrote:
information I have is what was left on the screen (took photo but can't
send attachment to this list). It doesn't appear that the system has a
chance to log anything in /var/log.
Do you have some web/ftp space that you could put the iamge and make
it's location known ?

You could also create a bug at bugzilla.redhat.com, and attach the image
there. If the image is large, you might use gimp to reduce it's pixel
count and size - just ensure any text is still readable.

DaveT

Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 AM
Edward DeMeulle

information I have is what was left on the screen (took photo but
can't send attachment to this list). It doesn't appear that the
system has a chance to log anything in /var/log.
Do you have some web/ftp space that you could put the iamge and make
it's location known ?

You could also create a bug at bugzilla.redhat.com, and attach the
image there. If the image is large, you might use gimp to reduce it's
pixel count and size - just ensure any text is still readable.

DaveT

The photo is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/edemeulle/2273085873/

I hadn't thought of using a serial cable. I might try that. Please let
me know if anything in the screenshot sticks out.

--
Edward DeMeulle <ed@demeulle.org>