Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Bob Goodwin

Default PDF to text?

I have a .pdf file I need to convert to text in order to use
Google translate on it. I tried copy/paste but it won't copy
from a .pdf.

I don't care about format just need to translate with fair
accuracy from the French.

Is there a conversion app.?.

Bob

Old 08-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Genes MailLists

You could try this fedora app: pdftotext

(guys please dont double post to old and new fedora list)

Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM
"j.e.aneiros"

* * * *I have a .pdf file I need to convert to text in order to use

* * * *Google translate on it. I tried copy/paste but it won't copy

* * * *from a .pdf.

* * * *I don't care about format just need to translate with fair

* * * *accuracy from the French.

* * * *Is there a conversion app.?.

* * * *Bob

pdftotext -layout*

J. E. AneirosGNU/Linux User #190716 en http://counter.li.orgperl -e '$_=pack(c5,0105,0107,0123,0132,(1<<3)+2);y[A-Z][N-ZA-M];print;'
PK fingerprint: 5179 917E 5B34 F073 E11A *AFB3 4CB3 5301 4A80 F674

Old 08-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 12/08/11 11:22, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 08/12/2011 11:16 AM, Madhav Ancha wrote:
>

> You could try this fedora app: pdftotext
>
> (guys please dont double post to old and new fedora list)

No, pdfttotext creates an empty file.

[bobg@box9 Documents]$ ll C*
-rw-rw-r--. 1 bobg bobg 632604 Aug 12 11:48 Courier.pdf
-rw-rw-r--. 1 bobg bobg 2 Aug 12 11:49 Courier.txt
-rw-rw-r--. 1 bobg bobg 632604 Aug 12 11:41 Courrier M.
Robert GOODWIN du 12.08.2011.PDF
-rw-rw-r--. 1 bobg bobg 2 Aug 12 11:48 Courrier M.
Robert GOODWIN du 12.08.2011.txt
-rw-rw-r--. 1 bobg bobg 2 Aug 12 11:45 Cpurier

As can be seen I tried several combinations, thought perhaps it
couldn't handle the file nam in quotes "Couier etc" but nothing
seems to do it?

I have a person who can translate it for me but would have
preferred Googl which is what I usually use for html messages. I
understand some and can work with a dictionary also, Google
translate requires less effort on my part.

Thanks

Bob

Old 08-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Genes MailLists

On 08/12/2011 11:58 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 12/08/11 11:22, Genes MailLists wrote:
>> On 08/12/2011 11:16 AM, Madhav Ancha wrote:
>>

>> You could try this fedora app: pdftotext
>>

> As can be seen I tried several combinations, thought perhaps it
> couldn't handle the file nam in quotes "Couier etc" but nothing
> seems to do it?

Is it possible the PDF contains an image of the text rather than text
itself ?

Old 08-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 12/08/11 12:04, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 08/12/2011 11:58 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> On 12/08/11 11:22, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>> On 08/12/2011 11:16 AM, Madhav Ancha wrote:
>>>

>>> You could try this fedora app: pdftotext
>>>
>> As can be seen I tried several combinations, thought perhaps it
>> couldn't handle the file nam in quotes "Couier etc" but nothing
>> seems to do it?
>>
> Is it possible the PDF contains an image of the text rather than text
> itself ?

I'm not sure, how would I tell? It's an attachment to an html
cover letter. The Fedora default app, disolays it with no
complaints.

Bob
.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Genes MailLists

On 08/12/2011 12:09 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I'm not sure, how would I tell? It's an attachment to an html
> cover letter. The Fedora default app, disolays it with no
> complaints.
>
> Bob

Try using : pdfimages
on the file - it should pull all the embedded images out - if one of
the images has the text then you'll know :-)

If thats the case then I suppose you're looking at OCR tools ...

It will be images if the document was scanned rather then 'created'
with a text tool.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:22 PM
mike cloaked

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:
> On 08/12/2011 11:16 AM, Madhav Ancha wrote:
>

> *You could try this fedora app: *pdftotext
>
> *(guys please dont double post to old and new fedora list)

The OP needs to confirm that the original pdf is actually text and not
an image of text?

The other way is to use okular or similar and then you can select the
text and copy it to the clipboard - and then paste it into the
translation box.

However if the pdf is a scanned image then it would need ocr before
the text could be extracted -

--
mike c