Old 08-12-2011, 03:57 AM
Manuel Escudero

Default Need Little IT advice here...

Hi, I was Wondering if there was a tool for Linux in generalthat let me undo the system changes at reboot or something*

like that, For example:

I want to set a standard configuration in a machine and thenlet that machine to be used by many users, but as soon as

the user Log Out (preferably in that moment)*I want the machine to undo all the possible*changes the user may have done while he/she was using it.
I've seen this behavior on Windows Machines in Schools and Offices,

and I know it has something to do about a server controlling all the*individual computers but I want to apply that behavior to a Single Linuxcomputer without having the server in the middle...

If there's not a "General Linux Tool" I would like to Know wichdistro and desktop enviroment are the best choice to get this done,using what tools,

P.S. it's like... Having a customized "LiveCD Behavior" but withthe system installed, so if I need to do changes, I can ensure I cando them without many problems, and then "Lock the system" again...

Hope somebody knows,*
Thanks!
--
Manuel EscuderoLinux User #509052
Twitter:*@Jmlevick

Blogger:*Blog*XenodePGP/GnuPG:*E2F5 12FA E1C3 FA58 CF15 *8481 B77B 00CA C1E1 0FA7Xenode Systems -*xenodesystems.com*-*"Conéctate a Tu Mundo"

Old 08-12-2011, 04:09 AM
Genes MailLists

On 08/11/2011 11:58 PM, Manuel Escudero wrote:
> Hi, I was Wondering if there was a tool for Linux in general
> that let me undo the system changes at reboot or something
> like that, For example:
>
> I want to set a standard configuration in a machine and then
> let that machine to be used by many users, but as soon as
> the user Log Out (preferably in that moment)
> I want the machine to undo all the possible
> changes the user may have done while he/she was using it.
>
> I've seen this behavior on Windows Machines in Schools and Offices,
> and I know it has something to do about a server controlling all the
> individual computers but I want to apply that behavior to a Single Linux
> computer without having the server in the middle...
>
> If there's not a "General Linux Tool" I would like to Know wich
> distro and desktop enviroment are the best choice to get this done,
> using what tools,
>
> P.S. it's like... Having a customized "LiveCD Behavior" but with
> the system installed, so if I need to do changes, I can ensure I can
> do them without many problems, and then "Lock the system" again...
>
> Hope somebody knows,

Sounds like "kiosk" mode - you may be able to do this with virtualbox
- since I've not used linux in kiosk mode - I'll leave it for others who
actually know how to explain the way ...

Old 08-12-2011, 04:23 AM
Antonio Olivares

/******* original message with some information removed ************/

[...]

/******** reply starts here, can't configure reply like old yahoo mail classic **********/
There is something for linux called LinFreeze:

http://utux-utux.blogspot.com/2008/02/deepfreeze-for-linux-advance.html

http://piecesoflint.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/linfreeze-deep-freeze-like-software-for-linux/

Try this out, I have not tested and I was doing something similar.* Since the kids don't know much about this, I did not try it out last year.* Maybe this year and with some feedback..* Maybe you can take it for a test run and report back.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 08-12-2011, 04:28 AM
Frank Cox

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 22:57:18 -0500
Manuel Escudero wrote:

> Hi, I was Wondering if there was a tool for Linux in general
> that let me undo the system changes at reboot or something
> like that,

Generally speaking, users can only write files in their home directory. So if
you restore the home directory to some kind of a default state when a user logs
out, that should be what you want. Copy your desired home directory to a file
or an archive, then restore it on user logout.