Old 08-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Claude Jones

Default problems with DHCP server

I have enabled the DHCP server using

systemctl start dhcpd.service

I have a pretty simple dhcp.conf which looks like this:
************************
ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;

subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

option routers 192.168.2.1;

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

option domain-name-servers 151.197.0.38, 199.45.32.38;

option ip-forwarding off;

range dynamic-bootp 192.168.2.100 192.168.2.254;

default-lease-time 21600;

max-lease-time 43200;

}

**************************

If I run the services command, the GUI doesn't show DHCPD as available, much less running, but I don't know if this is just part of the new sysctl way of doing things. I tired connecting to the server using omshell, and I get the following:

# omshell

> connect

../../../../lib/isc/unix/socket.c:891: epoll_ctl(DEL), 5: Bad file descriptor

../../../../lib/isc/unix/socket.c:891: epoll_ctl(DEL), 5: Bad file descriptor

dhcpctl_connect: no more

Can anyone give me an idea where I might go to troubleshoot this?

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Claude Jones

On 8/11/2011 5:28 PM, Claude Jones wrote:
> I have enabled the DHCP server using
>
> systemctl start dhcpd.service
> ..........snip the rest..........

I left out the main point, the nature of the problem. The server doesn't
seem to work, and addresses are not being handed out. This had been
working several months back but I haven't used it in a long time and
just discovered it no longer worked. I've swapped out cables and
restarted the machine just to make sure it wasn't something like that...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Tom Horsley

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 17:59:55 -0400
Claude Jones wrote:

> I left out the main point, the nature of the problem. The server doesn't
> seem to work, and addresses are not being handed out.

You might try restarting it after the system is well and truly up.
I have problems with lots of network based services not working
when I let systemd start them, but if I put code in /etc/rc.local
to background a command to sleep a few seconds and restart the
service, everything seems to work fine. (The ypbind service,
nfs mounts, etc. all suffer from this problem).

My theory is that systemd thinks it is waiting for the network
to be "up", but whatever is telling the network is up is
really lying.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 AM
Claude Jones

On Thursday, August 11, 2011, Tom Horsley wrote:

> > I left out the main point, the nature of the problem. The

> > server doesn't* seem to work, and addresses are not being

> > handed out.

> You might try restarting it after the system is well and truly

> up

I did try that, actually. But, I didn't stop first, then restart. I just issued the commands I cited in my original post.

Anyone have any familiarity with the omshell command and it's readout? The command is cited right in the DHCP section of the Fedora 15 documentation - I read the man page for it but it's a bit difficult to grok...

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 AM
Genes MailLists

On 08/11/2011 10:44 PM, Claude Jones wrote:

> Anyone have any familiarity with the omshell command and it's readout?
> The command is cited right in the DHCP section of the Fedora 15
> documentation - I read the man page for it but it's a bit difficult to
> grok...

Probably a bit obvious - but did you look in /var/log/messages for any
warnings/errors - perhaps you have a config file problem.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:29 AM
Claude Jones

On Thursday, August 11, 2011, Genes MailLists wrote:

> On 08/11/2011 10:44 PM, Claude Jones wrote:

> > Anyone have any familiarity with the omshell command and it's

> > readout? The command is cited right in the DHCP section of

> > the Fedora 15 documentation - I read the man page for it but

> > it's a bit difficult to grok...

> Probably a bit obvious - but did you look in

> /var/log/messages for any warnings/errors - perhaps you have a

> config file problem.

Thanks to you, and to all, for the responses. I had no time today to deal with this today, but I will pursue this again as soon as time permits - and, to answer your specific suggestion, I did not look at logs yet - I did notice a message during boot-up that DHCP was starting

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 08-13-2011, 04:34 AM
Claude Jones

On Thursday, August 11, 2011, Genes MailLists wrote:

> On 08/11/2011 10:44 PM, Claude Jones wrote:

> > Anyone have any familiarity with the omshell command and it's

> > readout? The command is cited right in the DHCP section of

> > the Fedora 15 documentation - I read the man page for it but

> > it's a bit difficult to grok...

> Probably a bit obvious - but did you look in

> /var/log/messages for any warnings/errors - perhaps you have a

> config file problem.

Well, I logged in remotely and I think I've found my problem - this entry appears in the kernel log:

08/11/11 09:04:40 PM dhcpd[922] Not configured to listen on any interfaces!

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 08-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Claude Jones

On Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:34:35 AM Claude Jones wrote:
> > Probably a bit obvious - but did you look in
> >
> > /var/log/messages for any warnings/errors - perhaps you have
> > a config file problem.
>
> Well, I logged in remotely and I think I've found my problem -
> this entry appears in the kernel log:
>
> 08/11/11 09:04:40 PM dhcpd[922] Not configured to
> listen on any interfaces!

Gene: Your stating the obvious led me to the answer. It turns out
I had misconfigured the DHCPDARGS=eth#
statement in /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd giving it the wrong (and non-
existent) interface number. Found this lead on the first hit after
googling that error...

Thanks to all who had suggestions
--
Claude Jones