Old 08-11-2011, 06:55 PM
François Patte

Default how to blacklist some hardware

Bonjour,

On a Toshiba laptop, I have an integrated TV card which is strangely not
recognised by udev, but which install the correct kernel module
specified by lspci.

lspci gives:

02:09.0 0400: 14f1:5b7a
Subsystem: 1179:0010
Memory at 48000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
Kernel modules: cx18

But at the beginning of the boot sequence, I have an error message:

dmesg | grep cx18

cx18: Start initialization, version 1.1.0
cx18-0: Initializing card 0
cx18-0: Unknown card: vendor/device: [14f1:5b7a]
cx18-0: subsystem vendor/device: [1179:0111]
cx18-0: Defaulting to Hauppauge HVR-1600 card
cx18-0: Please mail the vendor/device and subsystem vendor/device IDs
and what kind of
cx18-0: card you have to the ivtv-devel mailinglist (www.ivtvdriver.org)
cx18-0: Prefix your subject line with [UNKNOWN CX18 CARD].
cx18 0000:08:09.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
cx18 0000:08:09.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
cx18-0: cx23418 revision 01010000 (B)
cx18-0: Invalid EEPROM
cx18-0: Simultaneous Digital and Analog TV capture supported
IRQ 22/cx18-0: IRQF_DISABLED is not guaranteed on shared IRQs
cs5345 0-004c: chip found @ 0x98 (cx18 i2c driver #0-0)
cx18-0: Registered device video1 for encoder MPEG (64 x 32 kB)
DVB: registering new adapter (cx18)
cx18-0: frontend initialization failed
cx18-0: DVB failed to register
cx18-0: Registered device video33 for encoder YUV (16 x 128 kB)
cx18-0: Registered device vbi1 for encoder VBI (20 x 51984 bytes)
cx18-0: Registered device video25 for encoder PCM audio (256 x 4 kB)
cx18-0: Registered device radio1 for encoder radio
cx18-0: Error -1 registering devices
cx18-0: Error -1 on initialization
cx18: probe of 0000:08:09.0 failed with error -1
cx18: End initialization

And it takes ages before going at the next step.

In fact, I do not need to have this card working and I don't want to
make a lot of things described in some google searches to have it working.

Is there a way to tell udev to ignore this hardware and skip anything
regarding it.

Thanks for any answer.

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique
Université Paris Descartes
45, rue des Saints Pères
F-75270 Paris Cedex 06
Tél. +33 (0)1 4286 2145

Old 08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Tom Horsley

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 20:55:51 +0200
François Patte wrote:

> Is there a way to tell udev to ignore this hardware and skip anything
> regarding it.

I have often wondered this as well. I wish there were some way
to specify PCI device IDs to be skipped on the kernel command
line so the kernel would just leave that device out of the
list at the earliest enumeration of devices and no one else
would ever even know it was there.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Anthony Messina

On 08/11/2011 02:27 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 20:55:51 +0200
> François Patte wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to tell udev to ignore this hardware and skip anything
>> regarding it.
>
> I have often wondered this as well. I wish there were some way
> to specify PCI device IDs to be skipped on the kernel command
> line so the kernel would just leave that device out of the
> list at the earliest enumeration of devices and no one else
> would ever even know it was there.

I do this for my Digium TDM400P card for Asterisk:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.netjet.conf

Which contains:
# Blacklist the netjet driver for the 2.6.32 kernel as it prevents the
# wctdm (TDM400P) driver from loading.
blacklist netjet

You would do:
blacklist cx18

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E

Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Ed Greshko

On 08/12/2011 06:30 AM, Anthony Messina wrote:
> On 08/11/2011 02:27 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 20:55:51 +0200
>> François Patte wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to tell udev to ignore this hardware and skip anything
>>> regarding it.
>> I have often wondered this as well. I wish there were some way
>> to specify PCI device IDs to be skipped on the kernel command
>> line so the kernel would just leave that device out of the
>> list at the earliest enumeration of devices and no one else
>> would ever even know it was there.
> I do this for my Digium TDM400P card for Asterisk:
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.netjet.conf
>
> Which contains:
> # Blacklist the netjet driver for the 2.6.32 kernel as it prevents the
> # wctdm (TDM400P) driver from loading.
> blacklist netjet
>
> You would do:
> blacklist cx18

There is also a kernel parameter rdblacklist=

Along with that, it may be a good idea to regenerate the initramfs with
dracut to make sure the module isn't loaded at the earliest possible time.

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM
François Patte

Old 08-13-2011, 07:58 AM
François Patte

Old 08-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Ed Greshko

"François Patte" <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:

>One more question: will it be necessary to regenerate the initramfs if
>the kernel is updated or the update process via yum will do the job?

No need to manually regenerate. When the new kernel is installed it creates a new initramfs file and since it is blacklisted, the driver it will be skipped in the same manner as if you were to do it manually.

--
Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail.