Old 08-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Reid Rivenburgh

Default BackupPC error

Hi. I'm running F15 and have been using BackupPC successfully for
years. I rebooted my computer this morning and noticed that BackupPC
failed to start. Its log file has this:

2011-08-11 08:00:25 Reading hosts file
2011-08-11 08:00:25 unix bind() failed: No such file or directory

But the hosts file exists. I haven't touched it in a long time.

-rw-r--r--. 1 backuppc backuppc 2301 Jan 12 2011 /etc/BackupPC/hosts

The version of BackupPC I'm running is BackupPC-3.2.1-1.fc15.x86_64.
Does anyone have any hints about why it's failing?

Thanks,
Reid

Old 08-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Reid Rivenburgh <reidr@pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi. *I'm running F15 and have been using BackupPC successfully for
> years. *I rebooted my computer this morning and noticed that BackupPC
> failed to start. *Its log file has this:
>
> 2011-08-11 08:00:25 Reading hosts file
> 2011-08-11 08:00:25 unix bind() failed: No such file or directory
>
> But the hosts file exists. *I haven't touched it in a long time.
>
> -rw-r--r--. 1 backuppc backuppc 2301 Jan 12 *2011 /etc/BackupPC/hosts
>
> The version of BackupPC I'm running is BackupPC-3.2.1-1.fc15.x86_64.
> Does anyone have any hints about why it's failing?

I was having the exact same problem (wouldn't start even though
systemctl said it was). I never found the error like you did but I
just reinstalled and moved (restored) all my *.rpmsave config files
and it worked again.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:55 PM
"j.e.aneiros"

Well I never have used BackupPC software but for me the problem is not the hosts file.
I think the program is trying to open a UNIX socket file and for some reason (the directory where the file should reside no longer exists or some permission problems) is failing.

I was able to replicate you problem with a program of my own trying to create UNIX socket in a directory that doesn't exist:
[root@localhost ~]# vi echos.c[root@localhost ~]# ./echos
bind: No such file or directory
The offended lines of code:
if (bind(s, (struct sockaddr *)&local, len) == -1) {* * * * * * * * perror("bind");
* * * * * * * * exit(1);}
Hi. *I'm running F15 and have been using BackupPC successfully for

years. *I rebooted my computer this morning and noticed that BackupPC

failed to start. *Its log file has this:

2011-08-11 08:00:25 Reading hosts file

2011-08-11 08:00:25 unix bind() failed: No such file or directory

But the hosts file exists. *I haven't touched it in a long time.

-rw-r--r--. 1 backuppc backuppc 2301 Jan 12 *2011 /etc/BackupPC/hosts

The version of BackupPC I'm running is BackupPC-3.2.1-1.fc15.x86_64.

Does anyone have any hints about why it's failing?

Thanks,

Reid

J. E. AneirosGNU/Linux User #190716 en http://counter.li.orgperl -e '$_=pack(c5,0105,0107,0123,0132,(1<<3)+2);y[A-Z][N-ZA-M];print;'
PK fingerprint: 5179 917E 5B34 F073 E11A *AFB3 4CB3 5301 4A80 F674

Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Reid Rivenburgh

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Reid Rivenburgh <reidr@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Hi. *I'm running F15 and have been using BackupPC successfully for
>> years. *I rebooted my computer this morning and noticed that BackupPC
>> failed to start. *Its log file has this:
>>
>> 2011-08-11 08:00:25 Reading hosts file
>> 2011-08-11 08:00:25 unix bind() failed: No such file or directory
>>
>> But the hosts file exists. *I haven't touched it in a long time.
>>
>> -rw-r--r--. 1 backuppc backuppc 2301 Jan 12 *2011 /etc/BackupPC/hosts
>>
>> The version of BackupPC I'm running is BackupPC-3.2.1-1.fc15.x86_64.
>> Does anyone have any hints about why it's failing?
>
> I was having the exact same problem (wouldn't start even though
> systemctl said it was). I never found the error like you did but I
> just reinstalled and moved (restored) all my *.rpmsave config files
> and it worked again.

Well, interesting! I guess I will try reinstalling and playing with
the config files. Thanks!

Reid

Old 08-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Reid Rivenburgh

Ah, that's a good point, those two lines of the LOG file may not be
related, which would be misleading. I should check if any sockets are
being created. Thanks for the tip.

Reid

Old 08-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Richard Shaw

On a side note, I think the current 3.2.1 release has some SELinux
issues. I updated mine based on the SEAlterts and created my own
package. I sent my updates to the package maintainer for Fedora but I
do not believe he's incorporated them yet.

Richard

Old 08-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Reid Rivenburgh

It looks like I needed to create /var/run/BackupPC, owned by account
backuppc. I notice in the changelog for the most recent package that
the socket creation was moved there, but it seems it didn't make sure
the directory exists.

Reid

Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Reid Rivenburgh <reidr@pobox.com> wrote:
> It looks like I needed to create /var/run/BackupPC, owned by account
> backuppc. *I notice in the changelog for the most recent package that
> the socket creation was moved there, but it seems it didn't make sure
> the directory exists.

Hmm. Maybe that's what was going on with mine too. There was an open
bug[1] for Fedora for updating to 3.2.1 but it's now closed. I'll
check my install when I get home from work.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 08-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Reid Rivenburgh

I don't know if there was a problem with the rpm's install scripts or
if it just failed on my computer or what (not an rpm guy), but I did
submit a bug about this. Seems like it would bite a lot of people, so
maybe it's just me....

Reid

Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Daniel J Walsh