Old 08-11-2011, 01:14 PM
"Lázaro Morales"

Default GNOME logging problem

Hello,

Today after power on my work computer and log in I get this message:

Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
A problem has ocurred and the system can't recover.
Please log out and try again.

I tried log out and log in again but nothing happen. What could be doing
this?

The system is Fedora 15 with GNOME 3.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Lázaro.

Este mensaje de correo electrónico ha sido procesado por el servidor de Frioclima

Old 08-11-2011, 01:39 PM
gpe

On 11/08/11 14:14, Lázaro Morales wrote:

> I tried log out and log in again but nothing happen. What could be doing
> this?

This usually caused by incompatible theme/extension.
You can try the followings:
Press CTRL+ALT+F2 then login

1. Remove all gnome-shell extension and theme as root
yum remove gnome-shell-extension* gnome-shell-theme*
or
2. Create a new user account as root and try to login
useradd test1
passwd test1

you can switch back to gdm screen with CTRL+ALT+F1

--
gpe

Old 08-11-2011, 01:54 PM
"Lázaro Morales"

Thanks gpe,

> 1. Remove all gnome-shell extension and theme as root
> yum remove gnome-shell-extension* gnome-shell-theme*
> or

I don't have any extension or theme installed.

> 2. Create a new user account as root and try to login
> useradd test1
> passwd test1

I tried this to but nothing happen.

Thanks again,

Old 08-11-2011, 02:27 PM
gpe

On 11/08/11 14:54, Lázaro Morales wrote:

>> 2. Create a new user account as root and try to login
>> useradd test1
>> passwd test1

The first command creates a new user account, the second sets the
password for it. Make sure you run those commands as root. (su)
If you have the new account created you can try to log on with it to see
the problem still exist.

Another question. How up-to-date is your system? It is always good idea
to do an
yum update
as root and then
reboot

I hope it helps.

--
gpe

Old 08-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Joe Zeff

On 08/11/2011 07:27 AM, gpe wrote:
> Another question. How up-to-date is your system? It is always good idea
> to do an
> yum update
> as root and then
> reboot

Rebooting after a system update is so...so...*Windows!* Unless there's
a kernel update there's no need and if your DE is updated or part of X,
logging out and back in is all you need.

[joe@khorlia ~]$ uptime
09:30:56 up 57 days, 16:51, 2 users, load average: 0.76, 0.72, 0.67
[joe@khorlia ~]$

Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Alan Cox

> [joe@khorlia ~]$ uptime
> 09:30:56 up 57 days, 16:51, 2 users, load average: 0.76, 0.72, 0.67
> [joe@khorlia ~]$

17:43:49 up 167 days, 1:41, 8 users, load average: 0.09, 0.11, 0.13

Difficult to do much more than that with Fedora however given the 6
monthly cycle however.

A reboot is sometimes the easiest way though especially if the box has
things like web services running and is being managed by someone who
isn't up on exactly what services are using what things in order to work
out what to restart.

Alan

Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Stuart McGraw

On 08/11/2011 10:31 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/11/2011 07:27 AM, gpe wrote:
>> Another question. How up-to-date is your system? It is always good idea
>> to do an
>> yum update
>> as root and then
>> reboot
>
> Rebooting after a system update is so...so...*Windows!*

So is the error message the OP received from Gnome 3:

Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
A problem has occurred and the system can't recover.

It's just Linux continuing in its headlong rush to
copy what is bad about Windows, Mac, iPad, whatever
the commercial OS de'jure is.