Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 AM
"shailesh "

Default binary file not running

#include<stdio.h>
int main()
{
printf("hello");*
return 0;
}

[tommy@tommy cprog]$ gcc hello.c
[tommy@tommy cprog]$ ./a.out
bash: *./a.out : Permission denied

Treat yourself at a restaurant, spa, resort and much more with Rediff Deal ho jaye!--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 08-11-2011, 04:42 AM
Andras Simon

2011/8/11, shailesh <shailesh23jan@rediffmail.com>:

[...]

> [tommy@tommy cprog]$ gcc hello.c
> [tommy@tommy cprog]$ ./a.out
> bash: &nbsp;./a.out : Permission denied

chmod u+x a.out
before trying to run it.

Andras

Old 08-11-2011, 04:51 AM
Jatin K

On Thursday 11 August 2011 09:27 AM, shailesh wrote:

#include<stdio.h>

int main()

{

printf("hello");*

return 0;

}

[tommy@tommy cprog]$ gcc hello.c

[tommy@tommy cprog]$ ./a.out

bash: *./a.out : Permission
denied

Treat yourself at a restaurant, spa, resort and much more with Rediff Deal ho jaye!

please don't send html

you should do* chmod +x a.out** or* run it like sh a.out

Regards

--
°v°
/(_)

Old 08-11-2011, 05:06 AM
Joe Zeff

On 08/10/2011 08:57 PM, shailesh wrote:
> #include<stdio.h>
> int main()
> {
> printf("hello");
> return 0;
> }
>

> [tommy@tommy cprog]$ gcc hello.c
chmod o+x a.out

Old 08-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Paul Allen Newell

On 8/10/2011 10:06 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/10/2011 08:57 PM, shailesh wrote:
>> #include<stdio.h>
>> int main()
>> {
>> printf("hello");
>> return 0;
>> }
>>

>> [tommy@tommy cprog]$ gcc hello.c
> chmod o+x a.out
>> [tommy@tommy cprog]$ ./a.out
>> bash:./a.out : Permission denied
On F14 x86-64 (more info on request):

[paul@yoyo ~]$ vim hello.c
[paul@yoyo ~]$ more hello.c
#include<stdio.h>
int main()
{
printf("hello");
return 0;
}

[paul@yoyo ~]$ gcc hello.c
[paul@yoyo ~]$ ls -F a.out
a.out*
[paul@yoyo ~]$ ls -Falt a.out
-rwxrwxr-x. 1 paul paul 6435 Aug 10 22:32 a.out*

I am seeing a gcc make a.out a+x ... unless I am mistaken, we should be
asking why isn't OP ???

Paul

Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Markku Kolkka

shailesh kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika torstai, 11. elokuuta
2011):
> [tommy@tommy cprog]$ gcc hello.c
> [tommy@tommy cprog]$ ./a.out
> bash: &nbsp;./a.out : Permission denied

Is your "cprog" directory on an USB stick, external hard drive,
or some other media other than regular Linux filesystem on a hard
drive?

--
Markku Kolkka
markku.kolkka@iki.fi

Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Ian Malone

On 11 August 2011 10:13, Markku Kolkka <markkuk@tuubi.net> wrote:
> shailesh kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika torstai, 11. elokuuta
> 2011):
>> [tommy@tommy cprog]$ gcc hello.c
>> [tommy@tommy cprog]$ ./a.out
>> bash: &nbsp;./a.out : Permission denied
>
> Is your "cprog" directory on an USB stick, external hard drive,
> or some other media other than regular Linux filesystem on a hard
> drive?

Good suggestion, possibly a noexec mounted filesystem? Always baffling
if you forget to check (especially with scripts as the error is then
about an invalid interpreter rather than permissions IIRC).

--
imalone

Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 10:21 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
> you should do chmod +x a.out or run it like sh a.out

"sh a.out" isn't going to do anything unless a.out is a Shell script.

poc

Old 08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Jatin K

On Thursday 11 August 2011 05:56 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 10:21 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
>> you should do chmod +x a.out or run it like sh a.out
> "sh a.out" isn't going to do anything unless a.out is a Shell script.
>
> poc

I assumed it is shell script. so

--
°v°