Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 PM

Default Qemu and Fedora text install

My approach is to install Fedora on to a virtual machine. The host is
Fedora 14, text mode. I'm blind, and because of that, I use BRLTTY, and
no X server or other graphic output. The problem is that anaconda do
switch to graphic mode during the install, and I'm stuck. Here is the
command I've tried:

'qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic
-cdrom Fedora-15-x86_64-DVD/Fedora-15-x86_64-DVD.iso
-k no -curses -hda image.qcow2 -m 1024'.

I then quickly did press enter, and typed:

'linux text nomodeset nofb'

However, I get no output while typing, so I'm not sure the keyboard
input is reaching the guest system at all.

Could someone please advice me on how to perform a text install to a
virtual machine?

Regards,
Lars

Old 08-12-2011, 11:21 AM
panicloop

Hello Lars,

If you have installed virtualization package group in the Fedora 14,
you can use virsh, virt-install, etc commands and
it's easy to use them than qemu command.

You can start installation of fedora 15 guest with text console mode
with following command.

# virt-install
--connect qemu:///system
--name fedora15
--ram 1024
--disk path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/fedora15.img,size=8
--network network:default
--location http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/fedora/releases/15/Fedora/x86_64/os/
--os-type Linux
--os-variant virtio26
--nographics
--accelerate
--hvm
--extra-args 'console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200';

When you entered the above command, following message will be displayed.

-- message begin --
Creating domain...
Connected to domain fedora15
Escape character is ^]
-- message end --

Wait here for about 1〜2 minutes.
After this, the CUI screen of
"Welcome to Fedora for x86_64 Choose a Language" will be displayed.
You can proceed as usual installtion of fedora.
At the final stage of installation, "reboot" button will be displayed.
After you click the reboot button, the following messaged will be displayed.

-- message begin --
rebooting system
Restarting system.
-- message end --

At Here, just hit the 'Enter' key.
After this, you will see the following message.

-- message begin --
Starting sshd: [ OK ]
-- message end --

At Here, just hit the 'Enter' key again.
After this, Fedora15 login prompt will be displayed.
So, You can log in your Fedora 15 guest machine.

After you logged in the guest,
you have to enter the following command,
because it seems that the networks was not began properly
when the minimal installation was done with fedora 15.

# chkconfig network on
# service network restart

That's all. Enjoy!

If you have something error while installing guest machine,
you can clean up by the following command. And you can
restart installtion from the beginning.

# virsh list --all
# virsh destroy fedora15
# virsh undefine fedora15
# rm -f /var/lib/libvirt/images/fedora15.img
# service libvirtd restart

After successfull installation,
you can use the following commands to access
and manipulate the guest machine.

check which guests is available and if the guest is running or not
# virsh list --all

start fedora15 guest
# virsh start fedora15

connect to the fedora15's text console
# virsh console fedora15

shutdown fedora15
# virsh shutdown fedora15

shutdown fedora15 forcibly
# virsh destroy fedora15

check if guest is running or not
# virsh list --all

Regards,
Hisao

Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Hi, panicloop!

Thank you very much for useful information!

You writes:

> If you have installed virtualization package group in the Fedora 14,
> you can use virsh, virt-install, etc commands and
> it's easy to use them than qemu command.
>
> You can start installation of fedora 15 guest with text console mode
> with following command.
>
> # virt-install
> --connect qemu:///system
> --name fedora15
> --ram 1024
> --disk path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/fedora15.img,size=8
> --network network:default
> --location http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/fedora/releases/15/Fedora/x86_64/os/
> --os-type Linux
> --os-variant virtio26
> --nographics
> --accelerate

Actually, my system does not support KVM, so I left out that option.

> --hvm
> --extra-args 'console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200';

Since I'm running i386, I did also need the --arch option. Also, it took
some time until I realized that I did need to login as root.

> When you entered the above command, following message will be displayed.
>
> -- message begin --
> Creating domain...
> Connected to domain fedora15
> Escape character is ^]
> -- message end --

Yes, after downloading vmlinuz/initrd.

> Wait here for about 1〜2 minutes.
> After this, the CUI screen of
> "Welcome to Fedora for x86_64 Choose a Language" will be displayed.
> You can proceed as usual installtion of fedora.

The text install of Fedora is really poor. You cannot choose packages,
nor manipulate partitions. I wonder, is there any plans for extending
the text install? This is really important, at least to blind people
like me, who cannot use any other method.

[...]

> After this, Fedora15 login prompt will be displayed.

No, the startup fails. Please see some output:

Starting udev Coldplug all Devices...
[ 241.046725] udev[340]: starting version 167
Started Setup Virtual Console.
[ 257.938330] systemd[1]: Job dev-disk-byx2duuid-a91f7209x2dccd2x2d4c07x2daed2x2db901ab942965.devic e/start timed out.
Starting /boot [1;31maborted[0m because a dependency failed.
Starting Mark the need to relabel after reboot [1;31maborted[0m because a dependency failed.[ 258.054984] systemd
[1]: Job fedora-autorelabel-mark.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Starting Relabel all filesystems, if necessary [1;31maborted[0m because a dependency failed.
[ 258.140537] systemd[1]: Job fedora-autorelabel.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
[ 258.154881] systemd[1]: Job local-fs.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.
[ 258.158677] systemd[1]: Triggering OnFailure= dependencies of local-fs.target.
Starting Getty on tty6 [1;31maborted[0m because a dependency failed.
[ 258.277926] systemd[1]: Job getty@tty6.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Starting Getty on tty5 [1;31maborted[0m because a dependency failed.[ 258.355612] systemd[1]: Job getty@tty5.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

Starting Getty on tty1 [1;31maborted[0m because a dependency failed.[ 258.453053] systemd
[1]: Job getty@tty1.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Starting Getty on tty2 [1;31maborted[0m because a dependency failed.
[ 258.545363] systemd[1]: Job getty@tty2.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Starting Getty on tty4 [1;31maborted[0m because a dependency failed.
[ 258.631861] systemd[1]: Job getty@tty4.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Starting Getty on tty3 [1;31maborted[0m because a dependency failed.
[ 258.712916] systemd[1]: Job getty@tty3.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Starting Serial Getty on ttyS0 [1;31maborted[0m because a dependency failed.
[ 258.789073] systemd[1]: Job serial-getty@ttyS0.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
[ 259.651464] systemd[1]: Job boot.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
[ 259.662549] systemd[1]: Job dev-disk-byx2duuid-a91f7209x2dccd2x2d4c07x2daed2x2db901ab942965.devic e/start failed with result 'timeout'.
udevd[340]: worker [353] did not accept message -1 (Connection refused), kill it

udevd[340]: worker [354] did not accept message -1 (Connection refused), kill it

udevd[340]: worker [355] did not accept message -1 (Connection refused), kill it

udevd[340]: worker [358] did not accept message -1 (Connection refused), kill it

udevd[340]: worker [359] did not accept message -1 (Connection refused), kill it

Welcome to emergency mode. Use "systemctl default" or ^D to activate default mode.
udevd[340]: worker [366] did not accept message -1 (Connection refused), kill it

udevd[340]: worker [370] did not accept message -1 (Connection refused), kill it

udevd[340]: worker [372] did not accept message -1 (Connection refused), kill it

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue): [ 276.126762] systemd[1]: Startup finished in 14s 159ms 689us (kernel) + 2min 27s 791ms 24us (initrd) + 1min 54s 165ms 1us (userspace) = 4min 36s 115ms 714us.

How can this be fixed, and what's wrong here?

Regards,
Lars

Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 AM
suvayu ali

Hi Lars,

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Lars Bjrndal <lars@lamasti.net> wrote:

> The text install of Fedora is really poor. You cannot choose packages,
> nor manipulate partitions. I wonder, is there any plans for extending
> the text install? This is really important, at least to blind people
> like me, who cannot use any other method.

This has been the case for several releases now (since F10 I think). I
think the recommended installation method when you don't have a gui is
to use kickstart[1] files. You can use the different spin
kickstarts[2] as a starting point.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart
[2] https://fedorahosted.org/spin-kickstarts/browser

--
Suvayu

Old 08-16-2011, 11:30 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Lars Bjrndal <lars@lamasti.net> wrote:
> Actually, my system does not support KVM, so I left out that option.

virt-tools will fall back on QEMU when KVM is unavailable, so all that
will still work.

-T.C.