Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Pedro Freire

Default Fedora 8 iso image corrupted ?

I don't know if this an image problem or download corruption, but before
I download almost 4G again I ask this:

I downloaded via direct download the Fedora 8 dvd iso image and burned
it with K3b.

When I try to install it it always stops with error in lohit-fonts-xxxx

I already unselected them during custom installation but for some reason
the install stops with the error nevertheless. I suppose this is due to
some dependency but I don't know what.

First: anyone got this error before ?
Second: the install process shouldn't stop at this point! (the only
options here are 'retry' or 'reboot'. Why not 'ignore' and I would
install these fonts later ?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:22:06 +0000, Pedro Freire wrote:

> I don't know if this an image problem or download corruption,

Did you verify the SHA1SUM of your downloaded copy?

> but before
> I download almost 4G again I ask this:

No need to download everything again. Take a few minutes to learn
how to use rsync, pick an rsync server from the Fedora list of mirrors,
then "fix" your downloaded file with rsync.

> I downloaded via direct download the Fedora 8 dvd iso image and burned
> it with K3b.

As above, did you ask k3b to verify the burnt DVD?

> When I try to install it it always stops with error in lohit-fonts-xxxx
>
> I already unselected them during custom installation but for some reason
> the install stops with the error nevertheless. I suppose this is due to
> some dependency but I don't know what.
>
> First: anyone got this error before ?
> Second: the install process shouldn't stop at this point! (the only
> options here are 'retry' or 'reboot'. Why not 'ignore' and I would
> install these fonts later ?

In this case it is just a fonts package, but if a more important
package were corrupted, the installer should not let you create a
damaged installation that doesn't work. Just don't install from
bad/unverified installation media.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 12:22 +0000, Pedro Freire wrote:
> I don't know if this an image problem or download corruption, but
> before I download almost 4G again I ask this:
>
> I downloaded via direct download the Fedora 8 dvd iso image and burned
> it with K3b.
>
> When I try to install it it always stops with error in
> lohit-fonts-xxxx

Before burning, and potentially wasting a disc, *I* check the downloaded
ISO against the checksum. After that check, I move onto the next step
(burning the disc, or simply using that file on the hard drive).

Before *you* download another four gigs, do that check, and see if what
you've downloaded is fine. If so, it's burning that you need to
concentrate on, and you can use what you've already downloaded, getting
it again is just going to be a waste. If not, then it's downloading
issues that you need to resolve.

Some reference material:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/readme-burning-isos/
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f8/

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:54 PM
"Michael A. Peters"

Michael Schwendt wrote:

I don't know if this an image problem or download corruption,

Did you verify the SHA1SUM of your downloaded copy?

but before
I download almost 4G again I ask this:

No need to download everything again. Take a few minutes to learn
how to use rsync, pick an rsync server from the Fedora list of mirrors,
then "fix" your downloaded file with rsync.

You can also "fix" a bad download with bittorrent.

Also - one of the Linux magazines (Linux Journal ??) currently has the
i386 F8 DVD in it. Check your local bookstore magazine rack.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:00 PM
"Michael A. Peters"

Michael A. Peters wrote:

Also - one of the Linux magazines (Linux Journal ??) currently has the
i386 F8 DVD in it. Check your local bookstore magazine rack.

It's January issue of Linux Pro

Old 02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Thompson Freeman

I don't know if this an image problem or download
corruption,

Did you verify the SHA1SUM of your downloaded copy?

but before I download almost 4G again I ask this:

No need to download everything again. Take a few minutes
to learn
how to use rsync, pick an rsync server from the Fedora
list of mirrors,

then "fix" your downloaded file with rsync.

You can also "fix" a bad download with bittorrent.

Also - one of the Linux magazines (Linux Journal ??)
currently has the i386 F8 DVD in it. Check your local
bookstore magazine rack.

At the risk of sounding critical, Linux Journal doesn't do
dvds. If memory serves, it would be Linux Format with the
F8 DVD in it (currently in the US). FWIW.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Thompson Freeman

Also - one of the Linux magazines (Linux Journal ??)
currently has the i386 F8 DVD in it. Check your local
bookstore magazine rack.

It's January issue of Linux Pro

Me and my big mouth. Sorry about the error in another post.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Pedro Freire

Meanwhile I verified that the iso SHA1SUM is correct. It must have been
a burning problem.

I will re-burn later and, this time, verify the result

Old 02-15-2008, 04:31 PM
"Michael A. Peters"

Pedro Freire wrote:
Meanwhile I verified that the iso SHA1SUM is correct. It must have been
a burning problem.

I will re-burn later and, this time, verify the result

Another thing you can do - burn the boot.iso (in the images directory)
and boot off that - mount the DVD (mount the image or physical disk) and
make it available via web server on another box. http installs seem to
recover much better from a download error than off of DVD media when the
drive mis-reads.

I always do http installs now - nothing more frustrating than having an
install fail because an rpm file was mis-read due to a piece of dust on
the drive lens and Anaconda can't figure out to try and re-read it.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 09:31 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> nothing more frustrating than having an install fail because an rpm
> file was mis-read due to a piece of dust on the drive lens

There's got to be more to reading errors than just that. A speck on the
lens or disc should be out of focus, and seen through. Likewise for
most light radial scratches on a disc, though tangential ones will
always be a problem. And a speck should get blown off by the wind from
the spinning disc, anyway.

If you find reading discs to be touchy, I'd be more inclined to suspect
marginal quality discs and drives, or old/wearing-out drives.