Old 02-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Neal Becker

Default How to fix mime filetype

I made the mistake of installing adobe's latest acroread on F8. Now, there
is no mime type for pdf:

xdg-mime query filetype *.pdf
application/octet-stream

xdg-mime query default application/x-pdf
xdg-mime query default application/pdf

System never heard of this mime type anymore.

How do I fix this?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 07:04 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> I made the mistake of installing adobe's latest acroread on F8. Now,
> there is no mime type for pdf:
>
> xdg-mime query filetype *.pdf
> application/octet-stream
>
> xdg-mime query default application/x-pdf
> xdg-mime query default application/pdf
>
> System never heard of this mime type anymore.

I've never installed Adobe's PDF reader, and my set-up's pretty similar:

[tim@suspishus ~]$ xdg-mime query filetype pdf
xdg-mime: file 'pdf' does not exist

[tim@suspishus ~]$ xdg-mime query default application/x-pdf

[tim@suspishus ~]$ xdg-mime query default application/pdf
evince.desktop

> How do I fix this?

[tim@suspishus ~]$ man xdg-mime

NAME
xdg-mime - command line tool for querying information about file type
handling and adding descriptions for new file types

Read it, and find out what you do to add one. Likewise, with looking at
the output of: xdg-mime --help

Setting a new MIME type default:
[tim@suspishus ~]$ xdg-mime default evince.desktop application/x-pdf

Querying, to see that it worked:
[tim@suspishus ~]$ xdg-mime query default application/x-pdf
evince.desktop

"evince.desktop" being the file that makes up the Applications menu
entry that goes with the evince program.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 07:04 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> I made the mistake of installing adobe's latest acroread on F8. Now, there
> is no mime type for pdf:
>
> xdg-mime query filetype *.pdf
> application/octet-stream
>
> xdg-mime query default application/x-pdf
> xdg-mime query default application/pdf
>
> System never heard of this mime type anymore.
>
> How do I fix this?

That is strange. I also installed acroread from Adobe as an rpm.

However on my machine:

xdg-mime query filetype *.pdf
application/pdf

Old 02-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Neal Becker

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 07:04 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
>> I made the mistake of installing adobe's latest acroread on F8. Now,
>> there is no mime type for pdf:
>>
>> xdg-mime query filetype *.pdf
>> application/octet-stream
>>
>> xdg-mime query default application/x-pdf
>> xdg-mime query default application/pdf
>>
>> System never heard of this mime type anymore.
>>
>> How do I fix this?
>
> That is strange. I also installed acroread from Adobe as an rpm.
>
> However on my machine:
>
> xdg-mime query filetype *.pdf
> application/pdf

AdobeReader_enu.i486 0:8.1.2-1 ?

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 11:23 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 07:04 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> >> I made the mistake of installing adobe's latest acroread on F8. Now,
> >> there is no mime type for pdf:
> >>
> >> xdg-mime query filetype *.pdf
> >> application/octet-stream
> >>
> >> xdg-mime query default application/x-pdf
> >> xdg-mime query default application/pdf
> >>
> >> System never heard of this mime type anymore.
> >>
> >> How do I fix this?
> >
> > That is strange. I also installed acroread from Adobe as an rpm.
> >
> > However on my machine:
> >
> > xdg-mime query filetype *.pdf
> > application/pdf
>
> AdobeReader_enu.i486 0:8.1.2-1 ?
That the same version I have installed.
However, I made a mistake. What I did above was actually done on a f7 machine.
If I execute the command on a f8 machine I get the error that *.pdf does not exist.
Unless I am in a directory that has at least one .pdf file then the result is:
application/pdf