Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Joel Rees

Default strange behaviour of firefox

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
> [...]
> what has this monolog to do with his problem?
>
> typing http://127.0.0.1:901 instead http://localhost:901
> is a well known workaround for idiotic autocorrections

If you have something better to offer, offer it.

FWIW, FF doesn't autocorrect URLs for me.

I don't have swat installed, maybe that has something to do with it.

I also use my hosts files (for now, I may set up a local DNS server
someday soon) to keep the computers on the inside of my LAN talking to
each other by domain name, both FQDN and local name only, instead of
by numeric IP address.

So I don't particularly need the workaround which so often is not a
good workaround.

So, rather than encouraging proper understanding and use of domain
names (which is an issue at the heart of the apparent need for url
auto-correction functions), what is your suggestion?

Joel Rees

Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 09.08.2011 06:48, schrieb Joel Rees:
> So, rather than encouraging proper understanding and use of domain names (which is an issue at the heart of the
> apparent need for url auto-correction functions), what is your suggestion? Joel Rees

you realized that the topic is about LOCALHOST?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 09.08.2011, Tim wrote:

> Try http://localhost:901/ and maybe that'll circumvent Firefox's
> unhelpful URL correction. Also, don't just type localhost:901 into the
> address gadget.

It must be a different problem he encountered. On my F15 systems, both "localhost:631"
and "http://localhost:631" brings up the CUPS servers webinterface immediately.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Robert Marcano

Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Joel Rees

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 09.08.2011 06:48, schrieb Joel Rees:
>> So, rather than encouraging proper understanding and use of domain names (which is an issue at the heart of the
>> apparent need for url auto-correction functions), what is your suggestion? Joel Rees
>
> you realized that the topic is about LOCALHOST?

Have you re-read the original post?

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:23 AM, François Patte
<francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:
> [...]
> Same problem if I try to open url:
>
> http://hostname:901 (hostname= the name I gave to my computer)
>
> FF try to open www.hostname.com (which does not exist)
> [...]

I don't know about you, but my instinct is that auto-correction will
not kick in until the original url fails to resolve. (But I seem to
not have any auto-correction installed in my systems this year, either
in FF or in F14, so my instincts may not reflect the state of the art
in plug-ins and add-ons.)

So my instinct was that somewhere in his setup, he had overruled the
ordinary search order.

Now, Robert suggests looking in /etc/nsswitch.conf , (thank you,
Robert) which I was having trouble remembering yesterday. That's why I
was asking if you had a better suggestion.

Now, if it turns out that nsswitch is set up right, he's back to the
original two questions, one being why the bare domain names don't
resolve, and the other being why he has domain name auto-correction
when he apparently doesn't want it.

If nsswitch has been altered from default, with dns given priority
(showing first on the line) or files missing from the line entirely,
then he wants to know what mucked with nsswitch, as well as why it
auto-corrects.

So, do you have a suggestion? Or should we wait to see whether
François has already solved the problem?

Joel Rees
(PS -- yeah, I tend to talk more than some people want me to
sometimes, but you can take that up with me off-list if you really
want to.)

Old 08-10-2011, 02:33 AM
Genes MailLists

On 08/09/2011 07:46 PM, Joel Rees wrote:

> So, do you have a suggestion? Or should we wait to see whether
> François has already solved the problem?

Yeh .. I suggest the following:

(i) In a terminal window, type

host localhost

Tell us what it returns.

Then do:

(ii) host 127.0.0.1

Tell us what it returns.

(iii) If (i) returns 127.0.0.1 then I suggest you do this :

telnet 127.0.0.1 631

(or whatever your port number was if it wasn't 631)

See if your cups or whatever server your trying to talk to
answers you back.

(iv) If (i) ok and (iii) is not ok then the server is not running.

(v) if (iii) works, then dump firefox and install google-chrome and
try that.

Good luck.

gene/

Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM
François Patte

Le 10/08/2011 04:33, Genes MailLists a écrit :
> On 08/09/2011 07:46 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
>

>> So, do you have a suggestion? Or should we wait to see whether
>> François has already solved the problem?
>>

> Yeh .. I suggest the following:
>

> (i) In a terminal window, type
>
> host localhost
>
> Tell us what it returns.
>
> Then do:
>
> (ii) host 127.0.0.1
>
> Tell us what it returns.

Well! these were good suggestions: host localhost returned:

localhost.home has address 127.0.0.1
Host localhost.home not found: 4(NOTIMP)

So, my orange box to the Internet add .home as domain and I have to enter

http://localhost.home:901

if I want to connect to swat. This was not the behaviour before (before
I install f14 and FF 3.6.18)!

What remains a mystery is why cups accepts to answer with
http://localhost:631 but with http://localhost.home:631 I get: 400
Requête incorrecte

???

Thanks for the suggestions

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique
Université Paris Descartes
45, rue des Saints Pères
F-75270 Paris Cedex 06
Tél. +33 (0)1 4286 2145

Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Rick Stevens

On 08/10/2011 02:18 PM, François Patte wrote:
> Le 10/08/2011 04:33, Genes MailLists a écrit :
>> On 08/09/2011 07:46 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
>

>>> So, do you have a suggestion? Or should we wait to see whether
>>> François has already solved the problem?
>>>

>> Yeh .. I suggest the following:
>

>> (i) In a terminal window, type
>
>> host localhost
>
>> Tell us what it returns.
>
>> Then do:
>
>> (ii) host 127.0.0.1
>
>> Tell us what it returns.
>
> Well! these were good suggestions: host localhost returned:
>
> localhost.home has address 127.0.0.1
> Host localhost.home not found: 4(NOTIMP)
>
> So, my orange box to the Internet add .home as domain and I have to enter
>
> http://localhost.home:901
>
> if I want to connect to swat. This was not the behaviour before (before
> I install f14 and FF 3.6.18)!
>
> What remains a mystery is why cups accepts to answer with
> http://localhost:631 but with http://localhost.home:631 I get: 400
> Requête incorrecte

Have a look at your /etc/resolv.conf and make sure it's not adding a
domain to your lookups via a "search home" or somesuch.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:02 AM
François Patte

Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Joel Rees

I appreciate Rick thinking to mention /etc/resolv.conf. I tend to
forget it, especially since Fedora currently does so much (partial)
hand-holding with the network setup widgets.

(Reindl is going to complain about my monologues again here, I'm afraid.)

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 7:02 PM, François Patte
<francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:

> Le 11/08/2011 00:16, Rick Stevens a écrit :
>

>> Have a look at your /etc/resolv.conf and make sure it's not adding a
>> domain to your lookups via a "search home" or somesuch.
>
> Yes it does:
>
> domain home
> search home
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> OK. Now I understand (except why cups escape this...)

Have you considered specifying an actual domain for your machine?

In an ideal world, ISPs would provide a default domain and hostname
the user could optionally use, complete with dns resolution, to allow
the user to set up a proper FQDN for their hosts (should they so
desire).

For example, famousisp.com should provide new user newuser7734 with
the right to use a name like newuser7734.rosegarden22.famousisp.net,
and the setup option to have the IP address he is (possibly
dynamically) assigned resolve to that address through the ISP's domain
name services.

Then newuser7734 could have its domain set to
rosegarden22.famousisp.net, and /etc/resolv.conf could have the FQDN
in it and various things that fail in different ways when they can't
figure out what the machine thinks its name is would quit failing.

Without the FQDN, in my opinion, the ISPs are not really providing an
essential part of the package.

They don't provide it, which gives certain large vendors of
proprietary OSses the opening to do stupid things that mess the net up
for the rest of us, but also allows gratis dynamic dns services like
dyndns.com and no-ip.com a foothold.

I finally got frustrated with the clunkiness of working on a host that
can't resolve itself and signed up with a dynamic dns provider. dyndns
allowed me to choose reiisi as a subdomain of homedns.org, so I use
that and it solves a lot of problems for me. (I should be willing to
pay something like USD 15 a year to get them to enable resolution of
*.reiisi.homedns.org, but I'm too cheap so far.)

Anyway, it is possible to get the rights to use an FQDN, and it may be worth it.

Joel Rees