FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-09-2011, 01:49 AM
Alex
 
Default Install questions with RAID

Hi,
I'm trying to install fedora15 and have questions about the disk
installation procedures. I'm not really interested in using LVM, as I
don't expect to ever need to grow or resize the disks or partitions.
I'd like to create a RAID5 array from the four disks in the server.

I understand RAID isn't supported on the boot device. Am I forced to
install the boot loader on only one disk? What if that one disk
becomes inaccessible?

If I have one partition on one disk that isn't part of a RAID volume,
it's really going to make partitioning and general disk setup much
more difficult, because all other partitions on all other disks will
be part of a RAID5 volume.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-09-2011, 02:21 AM
Craig White
 
Default Install questions with RAID

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 21:49 -0400, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to install fedora15 and have questions about the disk
> installation procedures. I'm not really interested in using LVM, as I
> don't expect to ever need to grow or resize the disks or partitions.
> I'd like to create a RAID5 array from the four disks in the server.
>
> I understand RAID isn't supported on the boot device. Am I forced to
> install the boot loader on only one disk? What if that one disk
> becomes inaccessible?
>
> If I have one partition on one disk that isn't part of a RAID volume,
> it's really going to make partitioning and general disk setup much
> more difficult, because all other partitions on all other disks will
> be part of a RAID5 volume.
----
I guess grub still can't boot from an md filesystem. Make a 500M
partition on each of the 4 drives as the first thing you do. Put /boot
on /dev/sda and leave the others blank/unused. Make the rest of your
partitions into your RAID 5 and your set. After everything is installed
and working,

(as root)
mkdir /boot2
mount /dev/sdb1 /boot
rsync -rvup /boot/* /boot2
umount /boot2

mount /dev/sdc1 /boot
rsync -rvup /boot/* /boot2
umount /boot2

mount /dev/sdd1 /boot
rsync -rvup /boot/* /boot2
umount /boot2

This way, if /dev/sda takes a dump, you'll have to boot a rescue disk,
chroot to /mnt/sysimage and 'grub-install /dev/sda' (because when you
remove /dev/sda, another will take it's place). But that's not very
difficult.

Suggest that you do RAID 0 + 1 or RAID 6 (if that's possible in
Anaconda). Big hard drives are cheap these days, RAID 0 + 1 gives you
speed and reliability. If speed and reliability are not your thing, then
RAID 6 is a much better choice than RAID 5.

Craig

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 AM
Craig White
 
Default Install questions with RAID

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 19:21 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 21:49 -0400, Alex wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to install fedora15 and have questions about the disk
> > installation procedures. I'm not really interested in using LVM, as I
> > don't expect to ever need to grow or resize the disks or partitions.
> > I'd like to create a RAID5 array from the four disks in the server.
> >
> > I understand RAID isn't supported on the boot device. Am I forced to
> > install the boot loader on only one disk? What if that one disk
> > becomes inaccessible?
> >
> > If I have one partition on one disk that isn't part of a RAID volume,
> > it's really going to make partitioning and general disk setup much
> > more difficult, because all other partitions on all other disks will
> > be part of a RAID5 volume.
> ----
> I guess grub still can't boot from an md filesystem. Make a 500M
> partition on each of the 4 drives as the first thing you do. Put /boot
> on /dev/sda and leave the others blank/unused. Make the rest of your
> partitions into your RAID 5 and your set. After everything is installed
> and working,
>
> (as root)
> mkdir /boot2
> mount /dev/sdb1 /boot
> rsync -rvup /boot/* /boot2
> umount /boot2
>
> mount /dev/sdc1 /boot
> rsync -rvup /boot/* /boot2
> umount /boot2
>
> mount /dev/sdd1 /boot
> rsync -rvup /boot/* /boot2
> umount /boot2
----
typed too fast and now proofed... corrections

mkdir /boot2
mount /dev/sdb1 /boot2
rsync -rvup --delete-after /boot/* /boot2
umount /boot2

mount /dev/sdc1 /boot2
rsync -rvup --delete-after /boot/* /boot2
umount /boot2

mount /dev/sdd1 /boot2
rsync -rvup --delete-after /boot/* /boot2
umount /boot2

do this once in a while - probably after new kernels are installed and
you are set for a disaster

Craig


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Gilboa Davara
 
Default Install questions with RAID

Grub can boot from md device as long as it's a raid 1 device.

Simply create two partitions on each drive: a 500 MB md autodetect and a XXX GB raid autodetect.

Use the first partition on each drive to create a 500 MB raid 1 device containing /boot and use the second partition on each drive to create the raid 5 device.


If the first drive dies, at most you will have use grub to rebuild the MBR on the new first drive.


- Gilboa

On Aug 9, 2011 5:23 AM, "Craig White" <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Alex
 
Default Install questions with RAID

Hi,

> Grub can boot from md device as long as it's a raid 1 device.
> Simply create two partitions on each drive: a 500 MB md autodetect and a XXX
> GB raid autodetect.
> Use the first partition on each drive to create a 500 MB raid 1 device
> containing /boot and use the second partition on each drive to create the
> raid 5 device.
>
> If the first drive dies, at most you will have use grub to rebuild the MBR
> on the new first drive.

Yes, but I also meant to point out that I've since learned that the
upgrade doesn't support it, as I found out when I tried to upgrade a
system from fc14 to fc15.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks,
Alex
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Reindl Harald
 
Default Install questions with RAID

Am 09.08.2011 16:50, schrieb Alex:
> Hi,
>
>> Grub can boot from md device as long as it's a raid 1 device.
>> Simply create two partitions on each drive: a 500 MB md autodetect and a XXX
>> GB raid autodetect.
>> Use the first partition on each drive to create a 500 MB raid 1 device
>> containing /boot and use the second partition on each drive to create the
>> raid 5 device.
>>
>> If the first drive dies, at most you will have use grub to rebuild the MBR
>> on the new first drive.
> Yes, but I also meant to point out that I've since learned that the
> upgrade doesn't support it, as I found out when I tried to upgrade a
> system from fc14 to fc15

which upgrade-method?
i upgraded the following setup from F14 to F15 with YUM
where should there be a problem? the upgrade does not
know anything about the md-devices

Personalities : [raid1] [raid10]
md2 : active raid10 sda3[0] sdd3[3] sdc3[2] sdb3[1]
3875222528 blocks super 1.1 512K chunks 2 near-copies [4/4] [UUUU]
bitmap: 0/29 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

md1 : active raid10 sda2[0] sdd2[3] sdc2[2] sdb2[1]
30716928 blocks super 1.1 512K chunks 2 near-copies [4/4] [UUUU]
bitmap: 0/1 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdd1[3] sdc1[2] sdb1[1]
511988 blocks super 1.0 [4/4] [UUUU]


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:19 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org